Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by w.anchor, Jan 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Welcome President Obama, for the first time in years I feel optimistic about the future of the world.Only time will tell if my optimism is misplaced.
  2. I wish him well. The task ahead of him is monumental, and I just hope that people realise that he's not going to change things overnight. I hope that he manages to restore some of America's standing in the world which has been so badly damaged by the Shrub era. Good luck Mr President, I wish you all the best for the coming years!
  3. Im glad he seems to be very pro afghanistan and is in favour of commiting the needed troop levels to win there.
  4. I'm with you 100% on that type42
  5. Would he have got the same reception if he wasn't black? Even if his policies were the same? I hope he can give the Americans what they want, but I have my doubts. I hope he hasn't been built to much up to fall to easily.

I don't care the colour of skin. I just hope he'll be a good president cos he's good at his job!
  6. As far as I'm concerned he could be green with yellow spots. I like the fact that's he's acknowedged that American policy on Cuba has failed for the past 50 years, so it's time to change. I like the fact that he's expressed a willingness to talk to Iran instead of just ratcheting up the rhetoric. I know for a lot of African Americans the colour of his skin is important, but I do wish the news would stop referring to him as the "first African American or black President" when he's mixed race.... :wink:
  7. Oh, that our own politicians could inspire such optimism. Will this go down on record as Obama's most famous speech?

Barack Obama: Yes We Can
  8. That's the only thing that annoys me is the fact they keep going on how amazing he is cos of the colour of his skin.

As long as he does his job well that's all that matters in my eyes!
  9. The only thing that pisses me off is that on British tv we have to go through his inauguration 'live'. He's not my head of state FFS.

A couple of Micky Ducks would do me!!!! :lol: :lol:
  10. Seconded, I'm sick to death of hearing about the cnut. With any luck he'll get slotted. At least then we'll just have to put up with 3 months of martyrdom telly.
  11. I hope that while the iron is hot, he follows through on the prosecution of the criminals who helped bring the economy to it's knees and those who bastardized their own constitution ala torture of suspected terrorists in gitmo and abroad, and reel in the Homeland Security Policies that were set up to invade into the privacy of innocent civilians, such as illegal wire tapping, or profiling...he has a lot of work ahead of him to clean up after 12yrs of Bush's and 8 yrs of Clinton, that's 20 yrs of neglect... :wink:
  12. Personally I couldn't give a flying toss, he isn't MY boss.
    I just hope that Broon and Co. all decide to go sailing one fine afternoon, capsize and are never seen again.
  13. Mrs 77 has announced tonight that she wants to get up at 0300 to watch Obamas inauguration. When I kindly offered to organise a feed of watermelon and a chorus of 'Swing low sweet chariot" to make it a more authentic experience I was abused (not for the first time) about being an insensitive redneck with no sense of history or social justice. :?
  14. For a newbie he hasn't got much to deal with - broken banking system, Afghanistan, Guantanamo, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Gaza, motor industry going under - but his wife's already getting in to changing the decor in the African-American House, so the priorities are being managed!
  15. It's reassuring that someone at least has got her priorities right. I hope President Obama will suceed in creating a more inclusive, fairer society. He is our indirect President insomuch as what the US does today we tend to emulate later.
  16. :lol:
  17. I have to agree. As he's mixed race he's no more black than he is white, (and that's just the same with Lewis Hamilton). It just goes to show how deeply politically correct the media has become by constantly referring to him as 'black'. If he's mixed race, say he's mixed race. Mind you, the spams are constantly trying to find some roots or history, why else do they need to keep referring to themselves as 'African-American' or 'Irish-Amercian' etc. As far as I'm concerned, if you're a yank, you're a yank. It doesn't matter a flying fcuk where your great-great-great-great-great grandparents originally came from.

I do for one feel more optimistic though, now that Obama's president and truly hope he succeeds. If he does it will have a resounding worldwide positive knock-on effect, especially compared to dubya's reign.
  18. Having just caught the news. It got me to wondering how many people have turned up to witness the inauguration and how many turned up hoping to witness an assassination attempt.

Hope the latter isn't/doesn't occur but I cannot believe the hype about wishing to witness a part of history. FFS we are living history every second of our lives. It's a lot safer from my sofa as well.
  19. Imagine if the inauguration took place in Rockridge and not Washington.
  20. I wish him well but I suspect he will be shaped into another JFK lots of style but little substance.

Going deep shut off for attack.