Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

O yer back then Norman!

Whatever the old fool's motives for being in Iraq, no-one would have minded if he'd effusively thanked the SAS/RM/QARRNs (no one has said exactly who it was, after all!) team. The great British public don't mind missionaries, it's the ingratitude that has grated on everyone. How terribly English ("manners, dear boy, manners!").

I'm with the forcible deportation option - hand him over to Al Qaeda until he says thank you, properly, and donates his pension to the Army Benevolent Fund. You wouldn't even need to send him to Iraq - the discerning terrorist appears to all live in places like Tiptree and Birmingham anyway these days.

I would certainly agree about the discouteous way in which he has behaved, but fundametalists, be they muderous or pacifist are strange coves, and tend not to see things quite as we do. As I said above I have just this sneaking suspicion that he would have prefered to have been killed, it would have been good for his cause in his eyes. It is a bit like the French never quite being able to forgive the UK and US for liberating them after WW2.

Peter

F*cking Religion, I despair at these people that start spouting religous cr*p.

Religion is the most evil thing ever invented by man. A way to control the masses from asking questions that leaders didnt have an answer for.

It's murdered more people and destroyed more lives than anything else.
Killing someone cause they don't believe in your particular brand of imaginary friend is insanity. Should people be killed cause they don't believe in Santa?

Leave Kember wher he is next time, he read the foreign office warning and ignored it.....tough.

There is far to much of this PC cr*p about not offending religions etc. I believe that it's all rubbish, who's going to protect me?

finknottle said:
Here we have a classic example of the subliminal arrogance of the English!

Or actually, you have a classic example of people getting annoyed by bad manners. I hardly think that's arrogance - more a sign of civilised society. Arrogance would be having a poncy latin motto in your signature that 99% of people can't read ("ooooh, look at me, I'm a public school boy") :wink:

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare

I think some people in togas are plotting against me

Who needs a bloody degree when you've got Google?

More apt for my earlier post

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult.

Vescere bracis meis.
Eat my shorts.

geoffrey said:
finknottle said:
Here we have a classic example of the subliminal arrogance of the English!

Or actually, you have a classic example of people getting annoyed by bad manners. I hardly think that's arrogance - more a sign of civilised society. Arrogance would be having a poncy latin motto in your signature that 99% of people can't read ("ooooh, look at me, I'm a public school boy") :wink:

I will take this opportunity to remind you that the Armed Forces are British and that was my point. I also fail to see the connection between Latin and poncy, maybe you could be kind enough to elucidate the unenlightened? As for public school I think not, 11+ then Grammar School for this old salt. Labour should have got rid of the snob breeding ground that public schools are when they came to power in 97 and yes what an impressively useful tool Google is, to be sure.

If you ain't been to a toga party you ain't lived, Toga! Toga! Toga! Toga!

My one is taken from the motto for HMS/M Aurochs:

Excreta Tauri Sapientium Fulgeat

Bullshit baffles brains

And like fink 11+ then tech college then Ganges. No Latin just Spanish which I can't speak now, just English clean and filthy

Most religions (not all) seem to be a crutch for the weak minded and feeble spirited. People who cannot go through life without having some fictional being to follow or a set path to travel. Sheep !!!
Having said that, it seems to provide a decent level of poulation control.
As for Norman and all those like him, they deserve all they get and then an extra helping, his lack of gratitude to his rescuers was a disgrace, next time he goes where he shouldn't and has a sword on the back of his neck.... Stand easy .

Mr Kember strikes me as the sort of stubborn, self deluded, cranky, obstreporous(sp), eccentric old bastard that made the empire what it was.

I hope I'm like that when I get old, only with a slightly more realistic world view!

I think the way to deal with characters like our Norman is not as you suggest, although I can understand your reasoning, rather you keep rescuing them ad infinitum, and that way you show them that their view of you is wrong. To do otherwise is to play into their hands and confirm their view of life, and that we should never do.

It is a bit like the chap on trial in the US at the moment, with everyone in the uS braying for his life. That is just what he wants, he will become a martyr to his cause. Rather deny him the death he seeks, let him rot in jail knowing he failed his cause, that will actually punish him rather than reward him.

Peter

Lingyai said:
Most religions (not all) seem to be a crutch for the weak minded and feeble spirited. People who cannot go through life without having some fictional being to follow or a set path to travel. Sheep !!!
Having said that, it seems to provide a decent level of poulation control.
As for Norman and all those like him, they deserve all they get and then an extra helping, his lack of gratitude to his rescuers was a disgrace, next time he goes where he shouldn't and has a sword on the back of his neck.... Stand easy .

The advantage of religion is that insecure people can feel good about their own behaviour by demonising behaviours, etc they do not practice themselves or are not afflicted by. I remember how an uncle was demonized by the local C of E vicar because he was born mentally handicapped: apparently this was God's punishment for his parents' sins: after all his dad had served in the Army! In my parent's childhood Jews were demonised by the Christian churches in a remarkably similar way to the way they demonise gays today - all this makes some insecure Christians feel good about themselves in relation to others. Of course were they true Christians they would avoid demonizing anybody and take a stand for these unfortunate minorities. Paradoxically it is left to us humanists to do that job.

As for Latin being the preserve of posh, ex-Public School types: I studied Latin at night school a few years ago. I failed my 11+, left school with only a few qualifications but have done reasonably well for myself. If you are willing to learn and put your mind to it, you can do it, or are we to understand that AC boys, sorry Juniors, at Ganges were toffy nosed public school types? Oh yes, and G's motto was in English: Wisdom is Strength.

The head of the British Army has been urged to apologise for mistakenly accusing former British hostage Norman Kember of failing to thank his rescuers.

The 74-year-old received hate mail after his release from people who said he had not been sufficiently grateful to the soldiers who freed him.

It followed claims made in a Channel Four interview by Sir Michael Jackson, chief of the general staff, against Mr Kember and Christian Peacemaker Teams, who sent him to Iraq.

A spokesman for Ekklesia, which works alongside the Christian group, said it had now transpired that Sir Michael had been unaware that a statement specifically thanking the soldiers had already been made.

Ekklesia director Jonathan Bartley said: "Many might call this an unfortunate lapse in military intelligence.

"The honourable thing would clearly now be for General Jackson to issue a statement making it clear that Christian Peacemaker Teams did in fact formally and publicly thank the soldiers involved in the release, on Norman Kember's behalf, on the same day as the hostages were released.

"This might prevent any further distress to Norman Kember and his family to which the General's ill-informed remarks appear to have contributed."

The 74-year-old peace activist, who was rescued by the SAS, told BBC Radio 4: "Well I mean I continue to thank them for what they did. They were brave. I disagree with their profession. But it's ironic isn't it? You go as a peace activist and then you're rescued by the SAS, which is perhaps the most violent of all the British forces."

Maybe we all spoke too soon about the old goat not saying thanks to the SAS but nevertheless, and this isn't a back peddle, WTF was he doing there anyway. Like the dumb wannabe mercs who go there e.g. the yank who was in the spastic reserve coastguard home guard or whatever for 2 weeks a year and went out as security and got chopped up. The arses need to know that they are going somewhere dangerous and accept the risk of capture or death. The fact that the forces time and money are wasted on them when they could be spent killing the enemy is a disgrace.
Peace activiist??? is anyone really so naive as to think that humans will ever live together in peace????? Nice thought, if we could all be implanted with peace chips at birth that would be good but until then they would be better off joining save the whales or something that has a realistic chance of success.

Latest Threads