NZer Ssshh you know who gets VC

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NZ_Bootneck, Jul 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well being SAS hes close to being a Royal!BZ kiwi dude!

Better late than never.

2. Well done, Willi! A shame it took so long to present it. We (Brits, NZers and all) could surely award these things within less than 3 years!

When can we expect 42s and 45s awards from their last tour? Not that they will put in for any.

3. Think alot of the Corps achievements seem to go unnoticed mate. Would like to see what those lads in the apache rescue will get for their trouble. Not that they went in there with any intentions other than rescueing a fallen comrade.

Well done to the NZ Regt lad, SF lads have achieved much over the last few years and for obvious reasons dont get the recognition they deserve.

NB

4. RM prides itself on having an attitude of 'One doesn't get medals for doing the job of a commando', which is/used to be fine, but not in these media saturated days. Am fed up with seeing paras etc being lauded to the hilltops. Hello! Goose Green, Mount Longdon and a lot of casulaties. A coincidence? I don't think so. 42 and 45 planned theirs well, were sneaky and audacious and their casualties were, relatively speaking, low. We saw the same kind of thing in Afghanistan. Royal took the offensive (no Troop Houses and defensive artillery barrages for them) and did a great job but I doubt they will come away with a fraction of the awards every other unit has received.

You are correct, it is not about medals, but in light of the Iranian fiasco etc, we need all the recognition we can get! Army Major General Carson (of 70s NI fame) and (much later) Max Hastings both said the same thing: RM thinks about the battle and wins, and with far fewer casualties than those hotheads in maroon.
    P.S. Who was the Gen who said "I wish the Royal Marines had been available that day" (Bloody Sunday)?

Edited for biff spelling.

5. Thanks for comments Harry.

Agree wholeheartedly. I havent operated in ghanners so this is a purely media driven comment. Royal however seems to take the fight to the enemy as you rightly pointed out. They harassed and hit them on many occasions taking very small casualties within the grand scheme of things. A bit of credit where credit is due wouldnt go a miss however.

Dont know the bloke who made the comment ref bloody sunday. I was born in 1972 so was shitting and pissing in a white terry toweling implement.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

There was whispers about a Brit SAS getting nominated for the VC...he's an ex bootie ^~

7. MMM might make up for the shit booties get for going over to the Regt from the cerise brigade.

*cough*

8. Congratulations and respect to Corporal Willy.
    When I was TA, I was attached to both 21 and 23 SAS(V) for several annual camps. The PSIs were mainly from 22, and were instructing TA "between jobs". Some of the dits that were spun on our various runs ashore were (almost) beyond belief, but coming from the sort of blokes that they are, just had to be believed. Met a few serious medal winners, but they were always gazetted as their source regiment/corps.
    Really nice guys to serve with, and if ever their "Who Dares Wins" motto falls by the wayside, they could adopt "Speak Softly and carry a Big Stick" as an alternative with confidence.

2BM

9. Being part of the Commenwealth, he deserves it. End Of!

10. Nutty Bag wrote

Think alot of the Corps achievements seem to go unnoticed mate. Would like to see what those lads in the apache rescue will get for their trouble. Not that they went in there with any intentions other than rescueing a fallen comrade

Knowing the mob, probably a bollocking for showing initative.

11. What are the odds of someone on the Cornwall getting a recommend?

12. Yes, dont take your IPod on ops...

Well done to that man. A very brave example of looking after your mates when they are down. Does this mean he can no longer operate with the SAS due to the publicity?

13. Sounds like our line of work Rod. promote the biffs and yes men and allow the people with a great deal of talent no chance to get onto the promotional ladder due to acting on their own initialtive/merits.

NB