NYTimes 40 Yrs After the RN’s Last Call, Its Rum Is For Sale

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by soleil, Sep 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: NYTimes 40 Yrs After the RN’s Last Call, Its Rum Is Fo

Nice find Sol! Do you fancy going shares in a bottle? 8O

2BM

2. Re: NYTimes 40 Yrs After the RN’s Last Call, Its Rum Is Fo

Where do you find this stuff Sol? :D . Some profit in that deal.

3. "but was discontinued as it fell out of favor with a more censorious public, as well as the crewmen themselves"

Can anyone who was about during this dark period when they got rid of the tot tell me what the general concencus was? I ask as it said it fell out of favour with the crewmen and public.

4. Its bollocks Tommo I never knew anyone who registered as "T" meaning T Total. You had a choice to go "G" grog T or you were UA under age.
    If you didn't drink it you traded with it.
    I don't think the pigs were keen on us having it but that was more jealousy than owt else.

5. Re: NYTimes 40 Yrs After the RN’s Last Call, Its Rum Is Fo

It never fell out of favour with any crewmen I was around.Whether the denizens of the Wardroom were unvfavourable I never ascertained.

6. Re: NYTimes 40 Yrs After the RN’s Last Call, Its Rum Is Fo

Bloody hell, is it 40 years since the last grog issue, how time flys when you are waiting for god, I can smell that amber liquid as I sit here typing.

7. Re: NYTimes 40 Yrs After the RN’s Last Call, Its Rum Is Fo

I hope not, her indoors will go apeshit if it leaks on to the hand woven silk Persian, have to say though the aroma is similar. :)

8. Many of the Marines that used to frequent the pub I worked in down in exeter would have drank it from the bag :p

9. - - - - - and spat out the lumps. :pukeleft:

2BM

10. Steve,

I seem to recall that those with an STD (VD & Scar in old money) were compulsory made medically 'T', albeit only temporarily until their dose was fully cured.

Oh, and don't forget the Tot-less category of the poor 'RAs', too.

11. You're right on that Bob, but only up to a point. Catching the boat up would entail "medical stoppage". Being naughty and on No 11s (later 9s) would automatically mean stoppage of tot. At the table you could receive X days stoppage of tot as a punishment. I had 14 days stoppage of leave and tot when I came off shore a wee bit merry in Jamaica, but I was still "G". Ratings opting to go "T" received 3d per day in lieu, "G" ratings under stoppage didn't receive anything. There were other punishments that automatically led to stoppage too.

Nevertheless, Happy days!

2BM

13. They learnt that one from Jack, downing a pint of piss that is.

14. Re: NYTimes 40 Yrs After the RN’s Last Call, Its Rum Is Fo

:geek: I t was never a problem for me. I liked it. :wink: Hey :!: Thinking about R.A.s;- anyone know of one who paid his subs back when out in the far flung :?: :roll:

15. T stood for Temp or Temporance and not Total. 3d per day for broken periods otherwise £1.1s.0d per quarter in the days when pay ledgers ran for a quarter. Those over 20 serving in non RN establishments were also comp T as they couldn't get a tot.