Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NW Mail: Will women be employed on Barrow built submarines?

moggy_mad

Badgeman
Re: NW Mail: Will women be employed on Barrow built submarin

2_deck_dash

The modern term is ' leaky week' and although the concept dates back to cave people it does still apparently happen in modern society.
No real scientific research ever done but a group of women in close quaters be it an office, home environment DO follow sync !

Leaky week on a boat .......... i would rather .............. 8O

I am a woman and i just can not help but think it's maybe not the best idea

PhillipJFry

Midshipman

Mr Creighton said modern submarines were bigger, making it more possible to provide accommodation for both sexes.

He explained: “Astute is nearly twice the size of the previous Trafalgar class.

goes to show the man is a clueless bell-end who doesn't have a complete grasp of reality.

There was a similar thread few months ago about all this. 'Ninja Stoker' was the most vociferous on this point. My personal opinion is a) it WILL happen at some point and b) as long as the woman drafted there is physically and mentally capable to do the job, then crack on. But it was also pointed out the getting out of going to sea due to pregnancy, and when they may discover/let it slip.

The heads and accommodation issue soon won't be: at HMS Drake, for instance, if you need a cabin, you get plonked wherever there is a space, not strictly on your rate.........thoughts to bear in mind!

gentlesoul

Midshipman
I've worked at sea, mixed messed, been the sole or one of very few girls in a male dominated environment.

My two pence worth on women working in boats.

Radiation vs. the foetus - moot point, my understanding is that more radiation is found above granite.

Co2 vs. the foetus - pass, don't know enough about the research.

Mixed messing - easy, there are a couple of rules to be followed
1) go to bed wearing pyjama bottoms, a bra and a t shirt
2) close your rack curtain when in your rack at all times
3) take the bottom rack
4) 1 shower to have a curtain or screen

It'll all be very exciting for the first week then everyone will forget you're a woman and treat you as one of the lads till your first run ashore.

Leaky week - all the women will sync up with the alpha female, takes about 3 months. As for the disposal of tampons - where are the **** splash tissues binned? Most women will probably take the Depo injection and there should probably be a provision for a supply of Depo onboard.

Shagging - It'll happen and there is naff all you can do about it.

Personally, I think the biggest concern will be the rush of women wanting to serve in boats, doing one patrol and not going back. What is the percentage of women doing one trip on skimmers and not doing a second for whatever reason? Whatever that number is would probably double and provision should be put into place to stop the exodus. No promotion till you've done 4 patrols or something along those lines.

My husband is a submariner and I have no problem at all with him serving in boats with women. My one minor worry is that should the shite hit the fan and he got knocked out; that every single person onboard has the physical strength to haul my husband or anyone else out of harms way, he's not a man mountain but the point is an important one.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
Mixed messing - easy, there are a couple of rules to be followed
1) go to bed wearing pyjama bottoms, a bra and a t shirt

errrm...no

Topstop

War Hero
seenoffteefcuk said:
If women join boats i will rejoin only if i can be laundry staff again

Why? Only the Captain gets his knicks washed. The WEO used to put his in hidden in pockets we used to remove em, wash the gear, replace em and send em back marsbars and all :pukeright: mucky barsteward

21_Man

War Hero

More risk from the unborn babies being carried by the male crew.

The reactors are well protected

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer

21_Man said:
More risk from the unborn babies being carried by the male crew...

Hmm..? :? :twisted:

Joe_Crow

War Hero
DailyMailOnline said:
Previously, accepted thinking was that recycled air and living and working so close to a nuclear reactor would affect unborn babies. But this has been dispelled.

Maureen Culley in todays paper version of the Daily Mail said:
Recycled air on board a submarine has potentially high amounts of carbon dioxide. Until the results of the latest study were revealed, it had been thought that this could cause problems early in pregnancies.

I have yet to see any study which clearly demonstrates that there is no risk to unborn children. There are plenty of studies which tend to suggest the opposite. Ms Culley somewhat understates the carbon dioxide levels on board a submarine, which are generally at best ten times the level of that which would be found in a normal atmosphere. Any woman capable of becoming pregnant who is stupid or foolhardy enough to risk the health and wellbeing of their own children is, in my mind, unsuitable to be in a position of responsibility on a submarine.

FunkyJunky

War Hero

reason I dont is because.......

Torys are now in power (the last lot would have forced it through)

also, without going down any medical route...what does it achieve..? what operational capability do we gain..?
the average career length of a bird is about HALF that of a bloke..so you wont really solve many (or any) man power issues...
the cost of refiting the boats for this to happen....wouldnt that not be better spent clearing landmines in afghan..? not as if we in the forces are going to be given a bigger budget or anything..

but at the end of the day...you gain absolutely NOTHING at a cost our line of work simply cannot afford right now..

I wonder what our "pals" think about us possibly having women on our bombers....they (the yanks) are as liberal as you can get with this stuff...even they have not gone down this route.

IDOITDEEPER

War Hero

FunkyJunky said:
reason I dont is because.......

Torys are now in power (the last lot would have forced it through)

also, without going down any medical route...what does it achieve..? what operational capability do we gain..?
the average career length of a bird is about HALF that of a bloke..so you wont really solve many (or any) man power issues...
the cost of refiting the boats for this to happen....wouldnt that not be better spent clearing landmines in afghan..? not as if we in the forces are going to be given a bigger budget or anything..

but at the end of the day...you gain absolutely NOTHING at a cost our line of work simply cannot afford right now..

I wonder what our "pals" think about us possibly having women on our bombers....they (the yanks) are as liberal as you can get with this stuff...even they have not gone down this route.

Ill informed one get some of this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/women.submarines/index.html

Of course it will happen, very very soon.

Have a nice day

IDOITDEEPER

FunkyJunky

War Hero

"ill informed one"...?

do you not think I know about that..infact, do you even know which american boat they are first going on..?

I can tell you that the first US boat is the USS California...a NEW virginia ATTACK boat...

again, we would gain absolutely nothing what so ever at a cost we dont need to shoulder

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

How do you know it's going to be the California?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sgtpepperband Daily Mail: "Five women to become first female Marines" The Corps 28
MoD_RSS Royal Mail to collect COVID-19 test kits 7 days a week MoD News 0
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
F Not receiving activation E-mail for candidate portal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Mail on Sunday: 17 May 2020 MoD News 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 7
soleil Mail: RM Found Face Down In Freezing Water During Beach Assault Exercise - Update The Corps 6
soleil Mail: "RM Chiefs Spark Fury By Offering £10,000 'Golden Hello' Payments To Former Commandos To Rejoin" The Corps 15
soleil Mail: HMS Defender Seizes £3.3m Haul Of Crystal Meth From Drug Smuggler's Dhow In The Arabian Sea The Fleet 3
soleil Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible" History 10
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: contacting the exceptional and complex cases team by e-mail MoD News 0
guns1969 Un-solicited Mail Diamond Lil's 10
soleil Mail: "First Of RAF’s £9 Billion Stealth Fighter Fleet To Land On HMS Queen Elizabeth During Trump Visit In July" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil D. Mail: "Royal Marines Stage Dramatic Landing On Scottish Shore" The Corps 1
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Watch A Video Of The Wreck Of The Barrow-Built Sub Holland 5" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
soleil Mail: "CDS Threatens To Block Promotions Unless Officers Improve The 'Inclusivity And Diversity' Of Their Units" Current Affairs 24
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improved mail service ensures loved ones can stay in touch MoD News 0
photface DGW Mail Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS News story: MOD and Royal Mail sign new agreement to keep personnel connected MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD extends its free mail service for Defence Personnel MoD News 0
G Daily Mail caught lying again. How long can they get away with it? Current Affairs 31
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Mail pledges support for Armed Forces Covenant MoD News 0
wave_dodger Daily Mail does it again Current Affairs 103
S Daily Mail - redundancy mess up. Current Affairs 11
soleil NW Evening Mail: Falklands Veteran Sub Leaves Barrow And Embarks On Her Final Voyage Submariners 3
soleil Mail: "The Return Of Britain's 'Top Guns': Royal Navy Recommissions Training Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 11
soleil Mail: "Britain's 'Invisible' Stealth Fighter That Has Cost The Taxpayer £1.3 billion" The Gash Barge 10
soleil Mail: "Antiques Roadshow Object Solves 40-year Puzzle Of How 280ft RN Submarine Sank" Submariners 9
sgtpepperband Daily Mail Wail Fail Current Affairs 15
soleil Mail: "Enemies Beware: Royal Navy Shows Off Its Latest Radar System" The Fleet 8
soleil Mail: "Battle Of The River Plate Monument To Be Unveiled Today" History 10
soleil Mail: "Navy's Gibraltar Stand-off With Spanish Patrol: Warship Challenges 3 Ships" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Huge Piece Of Submarine Dwarfs Barrow Road" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: "BehinD The Scenes With The British Pilots Learning To Fly F-35 Fighter Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Mail: 'RN Veteran Finally Receives His Medals, 64 Years After They Were Lost In Post' History 3
soleil Mail: "Sweetheart Letters On Display For First Time As Part of New RN Exhibition" History 9
soleil Mail: "Were 30 Royal Marines Poisoned By Gas On Derelict Soviet Weapons Plant?" The Corps 5
soleil Mail: 'History In Black And White: WWI Vessels To Be Repainted In 'Dazzle Camouflage' History 1
soleil Mail: "One For Hovering Buyers: Harrier Jump Jet For Sale" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Mail: "A Real Maverick! Norwegian F16 Fighter Pilot Poses For A Selfie" The Fleet Air Arm 6
soleil Mail: "The Maternity Military: How Nearly 100 Female Soldiers Have Been Sent Home" Current Affairs 14
soleil Mail: "Sea Of Love: Royal Navy Crew Spell Out Valentine's Message On The Deck" The Fleet 4
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Seizes 1.25 Tonnes Of Cocaine Worth £60 million From Speedboat" RFA 2
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4