NVQ Level 3?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Harris921, Dec 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if its been asked before, I have typed it into the search but nothing came up.

Anyway, how long into your Naval career does it take to gain your NVQ level 3? I noticed most trades are only trained to level 2 to start with.

2. I can't answer your question, but with myself working in the NVQ arena I can say that unless you are working in a trade that could be 'mapped' across to a civilian type job, say chef, then a NVQ won't really count for much.
    Generally speaking, as you progress, more professional qualifications along with documented experience overshadow NVQ's.

3. Well Im thinking of ET ME so it was in referance to that really. My car apprenticeship was level 3 and the RAF apprenticeship is level 3. Never really heard of just doing level 2?

4. L3 is obviously a little more in-depth than L2, but both are really a qualification in your ability to work 'competently' in that field of work at that level. To progress professionally and to make you more valuable, the tickets your after will be HND's, degrees etc which certify your technical ability. This is where you can progress in ET if you make a successful go at it. That said, if for eg you wanted to work on cruise liners as an engine room hand, then an applicant holding a L3 would be favoured over a L2.

I assess Probationary Firefighters in NVQ L3 at work as well as verifying portfolios and question the point the whole process.
    The truth of it is, for the organisation (RN/Fire Service/Industry) to gain ISO 9001/2 accreditation, Investors in People Award etc they are required to run these paper chasing schemes...School SAT's is a similar scam..!

I sometimes feel like a preacher who doesn't believe in God!

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Surely it was explained when you got your A1 ticket?

The "process" is about demonstrating knowledge & competency against the relevant National Occupational Standard (standards written and agreed to by your industry as being the minimum required to work at that level).

Why? because your industry have deemed that in order to operate effectively and safely people need to not only know stuff they also need to be able to do it.................. and then of course there is the completion grant, not insignificant at around £10k depending on your skills council/ training board and possibly significantly more if it's a first or authorised second in accordance with your sector compact agreement and their percentage of the Train to Gain pot.

Not preaching but I do believe N/SVQ's are a step forward in vocational qualifications and if assessed properly benefit the workforce enormously.

To answer the initial question. N/SVQ level 3 can be completed after leading hands qualifying course.

6. Level 2 on completion of your basic training

Level 3 on completion of your leading hands course

SM

:nemo:

7. D33. Its been a while now.
    It will have been explained at the time but having been more involved over the last 3 years I've become somewhat cynical, certainly within my organisation.
    Minimum standards they are, and with a center coordinator/verifier unwilling revoke certificates or even deal with under-performing assessors and candidates alike, I can only remain sceptical as to the value of these awards. It would also be naive of me to think this problem was peculiar to my organisation alone.
    Fortunately, we have a more robust probationary system that counteracts the NVQ failings.

And the completion grants... this relates to my earlier point about the ISO's etc.

8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Different organisations undoubtedly value vocational quals differently, they are certainly seen as a pain in the ass by many of those who are expected to mentor or coach with no reward. As an industry mine take it very seriously: because they were told to and wouldn't get any work if their workforce weren't at level 3 - think Piper Alpha and you'll understand why. There are a whole bunch of political and academic papers that demonstrate how much more a "level 3 technician workforce" can contribute to a business and the economy as a whole: The Leitch report is the basis for most, a good (if long) read, it's worth a look if you are interested. Virtually everything I do for a living centres on it.

9. That is a small insight into whole new working environment to me - the private sector, and I agree with your point made above. Digressing slightly, I'm never surprised at the difference in management capabilities between both the private & public sectors. (Thats a complement to the private sec!)
    Thanks for the link to the report, I've downloaded it and will take a look later.