Nursing Officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jacko90, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I expect this one has appeared somewhere... Can a nursing officer or nurse go for the green lid and serve with 3 brigade or is that just MOs and medics?
  2. I see no reason why not - Nurses work at CLR (Cdo Logs Regt), and CLR has dedicated spaces on AACC. You'd have to speak to your Squadron OC to ensure you had the time, but that may be the only thing stopping you.

If you didn't work at CLR then getting on the course might be slightly more difficult, but each AACC has plenty of none-3 Cdo Bde personnel on it. Again, getting time off for it will probably be the biggest stopping point...
  3. I suppose you could. However most of the medic's who get the "green lid" are Medical assistant, that are trained to be combat medics and do the All Arms Course. That's what my mate at Lymspstone tell me anyway.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm fairly confident that I have seen a few people who wear "green lids" dress up as nurses... :shock: :wink:
  5. So do naval nurses not really get onto the front line? Like with the crabs aeromedical evac? Or do nurses just stay at base?
  6. It's main aim is indeed that, but if you go read the DIN*, you can apply to the AACC on a "personal development basis". No need for a job at 3 Cdo Bde, no need for a possible job at 3 Cdo Bde; don't expect to be loaded on the course of your choice or given much notice mind.

I've known Nurses work with the Field Hospital created from the CLR Med Sqn, so they may have been augmentees, but it certainly happened!

Perhaps the wider point is that you shouldn't base a career on one course, but it isn't out of reach. Just to throw that cat in, can Nurses do Black Serpent...?!

*Civvies can't, take my word on what I'm about to say
  7. ahhh i see, heard of them jumping out the back of helicopters to do casevacs, assumed there might be more of a front line role for them.

alfred_the_great whats black serpent? and where can i find this DIN?
  8. Ah right, do the navy play any kind of similar role? Or is it down to the raf to pull em out by air and such? I know I sound like all I'm bothered about is the gucci stuff but I'm just interested to know how different Nurses in the forces are to NHS?
    Amazing article!
  9. A DIN is an internal defence memo, and civilians outside the MoD can't read them. Go to the arrse medical board and search for 'black serpent'....