Numeracy for AIB.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by peregrine34, Oct 11, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Tags:
  1. Hi,

I've got my AIB in 5 weeks (Christ!). I'm slightly panicking about the numeracy section of the test. I would really appreciate if somebody could help me with how to prepare. Could anyone clarify what I really need to nail down in order to get a good score? I under performed during the RT numeracy section and I want to this one right. At the moment i'm doing fractions, decimals, percentages, ratio, algebra and speed distance time. Is there anything else I really need to brush up on? Also, does anyone have some good online resources ? I don't really want to buy books.

Cheers all!

2. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Why not buy books? - invest in yourself. You seem like the sort of chancer I would not like in my beloved Officer Corps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I'm not really sure which books to buy. I have heard that the how2become books are littered with mistakes and I was told that online resources sufficient.

4. Besides I can take them out of the library.

5. If an Electric train is travelling North East at a spee of 110 Mph and the wind is blowing North west at a speed of 30 Mph in what direction does the Smoke go ???

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Is that the kind of question I can expect?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. No ! I'm taking the P**S

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Beginning with the title, so don't buy them, don't borrow them, don't use them.

9. Okay. Any recommendations?

I'm thinking about buying their planex book.

Do you think 5 weeks is enough time to get it all done?

10. It could be smoke from the galley as they cook some sandwiches :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  11. Seadog

Heed what Trainer wrote above.

A Complete O Level Mathematics by A. Greer. The RN used it as a teaching text back when Euclid were a lad. I was a student, not an instructor then but still have and refer to my own legit, purchased copy. Buy books.

But not that one.

To answer that, I'd need to have some idea as to your character and competence and the level from where you begin. I am beginning to form an idea.

Should you make it through the mill and move up in the Service, you'll hate being handed the course or Commandant's reading list when you are appointed to JSCSC. You'll have to buy books and read them.

CDS has a reading list too. I'm not suggesting that you start reading The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius or On War straight off the bat but know that books, reading and academia have their place in the Armed Forces and not only for Officers.

12. Seadog

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, is that you?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Salad surely? :p
    I know, don't call me Shirley:)

14. For quickness, just watch the film:
    glad.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. You're beautiful, I shit you not.

16. Can you recommend a Planex book then?

I didn't want to buy the Maths books because someone posted on this site that there are adequate resources online.

I have read Clausewitz and Marcus Aurelius already.

17. Trains are non smoking in all carriages, its the law?

• Like Like x 1
  18. You have to understand, adequate for someone that is not struggling with Maths is not always the same as someone struggling with Maths. For those that achieved an A Level at A* a quick brush up an aid to memory is all that is needed, for lesser humans, start grafting, getting past the AIB is the starting point of a career of learning and reading, and as @Trainer & @Seadog have pointed out buying books could be a way of investing in your future.
    I have even heard that Chefs read books not just cook them.
    Good luck its your life, do as you think best, with the advice given.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Advice taken.

Thanks all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chefs like to read cookbooks.