Numeracy and the dreaded AIB

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by littleshinydemon, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening everybody!

I am studying for my AIB - which I havent got a date for yet but thought I would start early - and am starting to panic slightly about the numeracy section of the AIB tests.

I was wondering if people could clarify a few points about it.

I take it that it is a NON calculator question paper (I think this is probably a stupid question, but as no one seems to have mentioned calculators one way or the other, best just to check incase I completely mis prepare!)

Also, I have not done maths for a very long time, and was never that good at it. I have bought a GCSE revision book, but there are a huge number of formulas etc. that I think I probably wont need at all. Do you need to know all the formulas for Surds, and nth number terms, and all the other equations which arent very practical, does it cover the majority of the GCSE maths sylabus? For example area equations obviously are more practical that knowing whether a number is irrational or not!

I know there is very little info out there about what the tests are like, but even if those who have recieved their preperation packs could just let me know at what sort of a level the test is at, that would be a huge help!

Right well thanks for any help which is given, its really appreciated...and on the note of preparing for tests has a great section on testing geography and maths, and apparently gives free rice to poor people, so if you are wanting to practice check it out its good!

2. Demon,

The mathematical section of the tests you will go through at AIB aren't too far removed from simple statistics. The ability to gain information from a diagram or table and use it in context with a question appears to be the main order when you take the test. For example:
    If Group A earns 20% more each year than Group B does, using the data from 2005, how much more will Group A have made in 20 years?
    This kind of question would require you to constantly relate to the data given to you and be able to use it to get your answer. Decimals, fractions and percentages will all be used, and whilst I remember most if not all of the questions being in such a statistical format, i would still read into simple maths more. SDT, number sequences are more likely to come up than say areas or surds.

3. And no, you don't have a calculator, but you are given a pencil and some paper to aid your thinking.
  4. Cheers guys,

thats great thanks, especially aobut the statistical data! I just find it hard to remember millions of different formulas and apply them all to maths very quickly, percentages, fractions etc. I am on more solid ground.

As for the calculator, it did seem a bit easy that way haha!

5. No need to panic, in fact if anything panic is not a good indicator. Panic clouds the mind and gets in the way.

Essentially if you prepare for worst case then you'll be in the best position. Better to be over-prepared than under.

It's not a GCSE, it's a vehicle to assess your ability to manipulate data, extract information etc. You're not expected to have a host of formulae memorised.