Number of visitors

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by kingoftwigs, Mar 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone noticed the large number of visitors on the site today, I wonder why!

2. They're probably bots.

3. Watch out for any walts trying to seek opinions!

4. There have been large numbers for the past few weeks.

5. From Wikipedia:

Internet bots, also known as web robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human editor alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyses and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server has a file called robots.txt containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (eg gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots.

6. Around midnite last night 11 members and 80 visitors :shock:

7. Most likely journalists looking for quotes, following on from the Nelson Court Martial.

8. Arsholes !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ,

9. I'm sure I've mentioned being pictured naked in the Sun cos these sneaky fcukers were waiting in a nudist bar to get some siht on the matelots visiting, nearly got in a load of siht, saved cos the jimmy was there too! Journo's are lower than pond life.

10. Have you posted it in the gallery yet? :shock: :grin: :twisted:

11. Have you posted it in the gallery yet? :shock: :grin: :twisted:[/quote]

:sad: I haven't got a soft copy of it, if there are any Sun archives I can be found under the headline SHIP OF SHAME above a caption of Navy man starkers! :grin:
    Of course anyone reading this who knows me now knows who KOT is! Doh!

12. sometimes i sit and read the forums with out signing in...(coz im lazy!!!!)
    so maybe others do it......... which makes us visitors i spoz???

13. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Was that on the Sheffield by any chance?

14. Oh yes, you on there at the same time?

15. the_matelot

No, but I know the female who was pictured and according to her, it wasn't the journo's who took the phots but one of the stokers who went on draft from the ship and sold the pics.

16. I know SK well! I also heard that rumour but have met up with said stoker at a reunion since, didn't mention it.

17. :lol:
    Interesting opinion on journos and indeed the negative perception is justified in the majority of cases and as the adage goes,' never let the truth get in the way of a good story'. As a ( retired ) serious consumer of the news I do find some very good articles but it is essential to question most if not all that is written. What irks me most about them is the lack of respect for individual privacy. That's all right with the baddies but not so good for some poor soul who has just experienced a crisis.
    Cheque book journalism is the practice of today, as they buy and sell souls. The slimy sneaking and spying is another practice now under the name of reporting, forget the feelings of the unfortunate individual splashed all over the front page and the web. As with most things there are good and bad journos but at the moment too many bad.
    A significant trend in Australia currently is for journos to move into government, at all levels. This is a blow for lawyers who tend to move into the field where they can have greater access to graft and corruption. The Oz PM, a lawyer, is being challenged by a journo and a female at that.
    Like vultures and the scent of blood, lawyers and journos have the ability to scent money, rsoles indeed. :lol:

On the subject of visitors, I understand the web is constantly monitored for a number of reasons and 'bots' are used to pick up key words, in particuar any connected with money. Big brother with a vengeance. Law enforcement and , of course, journos are there for obvious reasons. :lol:

18. :lol:
    Interesting opinion on journos and indeed the negative perception is justified in the majority of cases and as the adage goes,' never let the truth get in the way of a good story'. As a ( retired ) serious consumer of the news I do find some very good articles but it is essential to question most if not all that is written. What irks me most about them is the lack of respect for individual privacy. That's all right with the baddies but not so good for some poor soul who has just experienced a crisis.
    Cheque book journalism is the practice of today, as they buy and sell souls. The slimy sneaking and spying is another practice now under the name of reporting, forget the feelings of the unfortunate individual splashed all over the front page and the web. As with most things there are good and bad journos but at the moment too many bad.
    A significant trend in Australia currently is for journos to move into government, at all levels. This is a blow for lawyers who tend to move into the field where they can have greater access to graft and corruption. The Oz PM, a lawyer, is being challenged by a journo and a female at that.
    Like vultures and the scent of blood, lawyers and journos have the ability to scent money, rsoles indeed. :lol:

On the subject of visitors, I understand the web is constantly monitored for a number of reasons and 'bots' are used to pick up key words, in particuar any connected with money. Big brother with a vengeance. Law enforcement and , of course, journos are there for obvious reasons. :lol:

19. the_matelot

Said stoker was unable to produce the negatives of the phots when requested.

The only person in that bar who couldn't....

SK is a good lass! Seen her knocking about last year and served with her the previous year abroad. We're in the same branch.

20. My wife used to be! In fact she was there that night!

BTW anyone noticed, normal number of visitors today!