NuLabor - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Maxi_77, Sep 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I think most people would agree that the chances of NuLabor getting elected again at the end of this fiasco is unlikely but if you are an MP who may lose your seat what do you do, Gordon is not doing well so some one else may do better and the party may not lose quite as many seats, including your seat, but having a leadership battle may well make things worse and at the end of the day you still lose your seat. Add to that the problem that any potential leader with a modicum of common D** F*** knows that if he gets the job and loses the next election (which is highly likely) that your mates will give you the bums rush and some one else may well get the spot and do a Tony Bliar after you. As a result few if any of the best candidates are really willing to have a go.

So if you are a NuLabor MP looking at redundancy at the next election how do you reduce the risk of getting your P45 and being chucked of the gravy train, push for a leadership challenge or not?
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Nah, pledge undying support for Gordon Clown in exchange for a job in europe, that way your pension and perks are sorted.
  3. Hadn't thought of that one, nice to see you back on line Blobbs.
  4. Harriet Harmon.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

It's wonderful being out of the country looking in and laughing at brown and co, the guys toast, he's fcuked, trouble is your stuck with them untill 2010, ouch, how much more indebt will the UK be by then? Labour are damned if they do, fcuked if they dont when it comes to getting rid of brown, can they spin away another unelected prime minister?
  6. Promise to top myself live on Pay TV all monies raised going to 'Charradee', then once re-elected renege on my promise. Would anyone be surprised? NO. Would they remember in 5 months let alone 5 years that I was a lying cnut? NO because I could rely on my fellow parliamentarians to do far worse in the intervening period.
    Bonus and I'd be set for life and get a few Directorships or open a PR Consultancy, when my Political Career was finished...
    ...Unless I purjered my self in Court,did some time and still wrote shoite books. Then I could come over all "I care about the illiterate prisoners" and write some more shoite books and the Great British people would still love my lying smug arse. Oh sorry he was a Tory.
  7. They could always be really radical and get proper jobs. That would be an all time first for some of them.
  8. Aye, that'll do it to you.

9. That's the one!

I forsee many Neue Arbiet higher ups joining the EU gravy train in the coming year…
  10. Mind you for those like Millipede who have ambitions to be PM that is not really an option, but becoming leader now is a poisoned chalice.

Seems TB was perhaps a trifle smarter than we thought.
  11. Personally I've never thought Blair was anything other than smart. It's just the policies and overseas expeditions that I didn't agree with. But, for levels of deviousness and raw cunning, Blair has always been difficult to beat.

Thatcher- love or hate, you knew where you stood and, more importantly, where she stood. She had plans and carried them out.

Major- depressing as he was (although apart from the Currie incident always came across as a decent enough chap) had to try and rescue the Tories after the recession and the end of Thatcher. He failed, but it was obvious what he was trying to do.

Seems to me that Labour got fed up not winning elections and sold their souls by going for the man who could get them there, even though he had nothing in common with anything other than the broadest tenets of their movement (if that).

By going for Blair they forgot what they stood for, and now they're screwed. Blair really does seem to just have wanted to be PM- he came in on an enormous amount of goodwill but didn't seem to know what to do with it. I would also love to know what it is that Brown knows that meant that Blair couldn't sack him over ten years when it was blindingly obvious to most of the Labour govt that the man was a menace. Blair's lust for power without the presentation skills or leadership ability, if you will.

The big question for the committed Labourites is where do they go from here. Not the career politicians, but the little union guys and people for whom the Labour party has been a central fixed part of their life and political worldview.

If present polling continues then they are facing absolute wipeout. Who's going to lead them? The left would like Cruddas but he could lose his seat. Miliband- gone, Smith- gone, Straw- unlikely but possibly gone, Balls- who knows.

I am not a Labour supporter (as you may have guessed) but there are honourable people in that party whose views I can respect. Where do they go, and what next for the Left in Britain?

All I know is that the next GE is likely to have a Portillo moment every 5 minutes. It'll be enjoyable on the night, but I'm not sure there is anything Labour could now do that will spare them an awfully long time in the wilderness.

That is Blair and Brown's fault. But it doesn't mean they're not clever.
  12. I'm sorry, you lost me after hello.

13. B'Liar was a cvnt of the first order, but he was a perceptive cvnt who was always able to see which way the mop was about to flop… He judged his departure perfectly to royally fvck over Broone.

ETA: Milllipede… I thought Sergie Lavrov's little dressing down of Millipede was brilliant! ‘Who the f*** are you to lecture me?’ :thumright:
  14. I don't disagree KS, at the moment I would place the MPs in 4 groups, the rump of the hard left who are just sitting it out till they can draw their pensions, those who think they should survive the next election and will try not to make things any worse, those who are pretty certain their time on the gravy train is coming to an end and are grasping at anything in the hope of scraping by, and finally those who think they may actually have a chance at winning a leadership contest, but don't want to take an early retirement as the man who lost the election, and are thus taking one pace back when volunteers are called for.

As for the decent honest party worker, they will be crewed by the poititians as they have been for years, they are but political canon fodder
  15. Spot on.

I really hope Cameron is going to be different to the current shower- even if he's not an actual human being like the rest of the country. There have been some encouraging signs.

Prepared to be very disappointed though.
  16. wet_blobby wrote:
    Harriet Harmen?????? sick fcuker, I like you. She could do with a swift *******, going a bit saggy now but I'd still do it for dit value.

You're a sick puppy my friend

Better than Margaret Beckett.
  17. Having watched them over the years in general they are not getting any better. It really does amaze me how most of them don't be able to see beyond the end of their noses, and really do seem to think we do believe them when they open their mouths

If only we could get Westminster to be split like Holyrood so that you always need two parties to agree to get anything past but it is not always the same two
  18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

With a common thread across all groups - each group is focussed solely on the damage to, and longevity of, the Labour part and its hold on power - not one of these groups is prepared to look at the damage that they're causing to the UK.
  19. That's because they do not believe they are damaging anything.

Billy Connolly got it right - don't vote for the bastards, you'll only encourage them.
    Anyone who wants to stand for election should immediately be banned from so doing. As previously noted they are after the power with no real concept of what that involves.
  20. Certainly this thread was aimed specifically at NuLabor and the quandary they have.

Clearly the nation is suffering from a lack of leadership and lack of ability to be bold, but until circumstances give us an election we are but mere spectators and sufferers.