Nuffield Club London

Discussion in 'History' started by rod-gearing, Aug 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone remembers the Nuffield Club (Centre?) that used to be off Trafalgar Square.At least thats what I think it was called.
    Had some good sessions in there whilst on a ships visit to the smoke in the 70's.
    Is it still going?

2. It was known as 'The Nuffield Centre' and I have great memories of it during the 1950's.

I believe it closed some years ago.

3. I stayed there a few time in the mid 80s. Cabins were awful, and not as cheap as they should have been. Place was populated by ex servicemen who seemed to think that they owned the place.

4. Not much different from the 60s it seems. All of them tended to be exSquaddies - probably why there was so much Army gear on sale.

UJC seemed to be a better place, convenient for the Rail station and the journey back to Pompey too !!

:)

5. When I knew it in the 1950's the Nuffield Centre was non residential, closed at 11 pm, when the crowd would drift round to the coffee bar round the corner, and perhaps go on somewhere from there.

There was another Nuffield Club near Gloucester Road Underground Station, at which I stayed a couple of times in the 1960's, but that was purely a bed for the night, not a club of any sort, and was a very well run place.

6. Hi, all I know of it is that my dad and his band were resident there between 1961-1963. Lee Lynch and The Lynchmen. I wonder if anyone remembers them?