Nubie Question

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by DaveyJonesLocker, Apr 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

Im currently living in Exeter but will be moving to Bristol in the next 6 months or so and am keen about the RNR. However, I have a few questions.

What roles are available to the RNR members? How long is training and what are the regular commitments?

Also id like something that is both mentally and physically demanding. Would I find this in the RNR.

Plus any extra (contructive) comments/info about the Bristol RNR would be useful too.

Thanks very much

2. New Entry training lasts 6 months and culminates in a fortnight's training at HMS Raleigh.

Regular committments - one drill night a week and generally one weekend a month (varies).

You can't be deployed until you're fully trained strength which takes about 2 years... as for physically demanding things, you'll have to do the RNFT which is compulsory but on top of that there are optional sporting events you can volunteer for (eg expeditions).

Have you tried the RN website?

dunkers (RNR N/E HMS Scotia)

3. The Bristol RTC is Flying Fox, when I was there they had regular recruiting evenings ..... your best bet would be to give them a bell and go along to the next one. They'll be able to answer all of your questions and give you a better insight into the RNR than any website!

4. The RN website has the info. As far as being demanding, you might want to look elsewhere (RMR maybe), good luck.

5. What kind of thing are you trying to be challenged on? Like all things it is about meeting expectations.

6. And you get out what you put in...