Nozzer's

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DruAde, Oct 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very amusing . Found it on you tube about HMS Raleigh phase one in the early 80's . I was especialy amused by the womens training. What did they do just iron a bit or something lol? Any of you old hands in those episodes ?

Just search Nozzer's in the youtube search. Very funny.

Or click this link to get the first episode. NOZZERS Episode 1 Part 1.wmv - YouTube

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. I joined in 80. We thought it was ****. What the hell was a Nozzer? Hadn't heard the term till the BBC clowns came up with it.
    In those days I would assume the girlies just ironed ect.

3. A Nozzer was the name for new entry at either HMS Ganges or HMS St Vincent. The term was not used at Raleigh.
    A Nozzer had no badges on his uniform, after a period of time he would be awarded a star which was then sewed on. He was no longer a Nozzer )(No StAR)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I never hear the word nozzer until the tv series. It was explained at the time that it meant: "No Sir", which I always assumed some plank on the Raleigh training staff invented at the time.

Didn't realise it originated from Ganges or relates to uniform badges. Every day's a school day.

In any case, the word has never been in common use by ratings at Raleigh. On the other hand Royal uses the word Nod to describe recruits, due to the tendency to nod-off due to being constantly knackered. It's spawned a few spin-offs including nod-vine for rumour-mill and NodFather for the guy who has been injured in Hunter Company for the longest period of rehabilitation.some notable NodFathers have spent up to two years recovering from broken legs and still achieving pass out.

5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My friend pointed out that I'm soon to be, fingers crossed, a Civilian Under Naval Training? I wonder what that could be shortened too...

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

6. Bit more info on name tapes for Ganges & Vincent boys.
    Their No 8s and rest of uniform was marked differently, they still used black or white paint to dip their name type into, but once the paint had dried they then had to embroider over their name with red cotton.
    Suppose being young lads they had to keep their right hands occupied.:laughing7:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I never heard the term Nozzer during my time nor Crab, Crab fat etc. It was "Big screaming O.D." which is a state of mind, or refering to the R.A.F. "Erk"

8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Civvy blonde bird?

Posted from Hell using Lucifer's mobile.

9. Had the normal black or white paint when I was at Ganges, no red thread, and I'd never heard the term nozzers's there either (or any other place tbh).

10. exJenny

11. I was at Ganges 1961 and the term nozzer was in use then. Also we paint stamped all our kit with black or white paint and then spent time standing on the parade ground sewing our name in red silk over the stamped name. I still have my name stamp and housewife from that time.

12. I also have never heard the name Nozzer, at Ganges in the 60's never used. But when we left we were known as TROGS Trained ratings of Ganges, although I'm sure there were other uses for the expression. We had to sew our name in red silk on everything, the belt was, I remember the hardest to do.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Still used the name-type paint stamps on our kit at Raleigh in the 1980's but no red silk over-sewing. I remember hearing nozzer becoming used as a derisory term after the tv programme was screened, but more as a pisstake of the officer that claimed in the programme it was a term used at Raleigh. It may have been in the wardroom, but it wasn't anywhere else at that time.

14. exJenny

It's more testing for the babies these days. They have to use marker pens and try to get their name right.

I've still got my stamp somewhere and found a pussers white sock with my name on the sole just this very morn!

15. Dare we ask what use the other sock was put to?

• Like Like x 1
  16. I was also at Ganges in '61 and I always thought 'nozzer' referred to your ships book/official number (No's)...
    My number was before yours therefore I'm an old hand and you're just a 'nozzer'

17. exJenny

Polishing my Owen Cup probably....

18. Really? All my kit (from cap and socks to yellow dusting cloth) had iron on name tapes already computer printed by the guys up in slops 8 years back. These days the sprogs all have embroidered name tapes on their 4's.

19. Not heard it called that before!

20. exJenny

4s get issued with proper embroidered badges but rest of kit still needs marking up. Some pikey nicked my sweaty sox from the gym once even with my name stamped in them.