Nozzers! (documentary...)

21_Man

War Hero
When did the term 'Nozzers' begin?

Never heard it used between '62 & '84 [edit]....meaning anywhere other than in a training establishment

21_Man - Hope this helps!
Nozzers - Local slang name for a newly entered Boy at H.M.S. GANGES, the Boys' Training Establishment at Shotley, near Harwich. The word is said to be derived from 'Nosey's boys', since a notable Instructor there once was named Parker.

As described on an RN Web Page but can't find an approximate date.

The term 'Nozzer' was certainly in use during my time at the G spot, 54/55.

And you remained a Nozzer until your No. 8's had been through a dozen or so dhobys,
and had been mutated to a more acceptable shade of blue.

The length of time for the metamorphosis would depend on whether you used a bar of Pusser's Hard,
or, for the fast track, got your Mum to send you a packet of Daz.

Jerry

Cheers Steve,

Donation to Combat Stress made as promised. Look forward to reciept of DVD. Keep up the good work

Chris (aka Norfolk_Turkey)

21_Man said:
When did the term 'Nozzers' begin?

Never heard it used between '62 & '84 [edit]....meaning anywhere other than in a training establishment
I first encountered it in an autobiography written in the 1880s, but I cannot remember who wrote it, as it was so long ago! Much naval slang is Scandinavian in origin: skive, scab, scran... and nozzer - with slightly different spellings!

Nozzer in Danish, for example, is spelt nosser, and means balls! (Yes THOSE sort of balls!) so perhaps it indicated that the new entries had 'no balls' - no guts :lol:

The latest bundle of nozzers are sitting on my coffee table awaiting dispatch to their new homes. They will leave tomorrow for the following destinies:

Buggy x 1
Gonetothedarkside x 1
Norfolk_Turkey x 2
Torpointboy x 1

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
thingy said:
-buggy- said:
nozzers recieved, thanks a lot shippers :)

(that was quick !)
They get dispatched from a special place, so get delivered speedily.

Stand fast Troggies!

Tut tut... you're not using an internal Government Mailing System for personal mail use, are you? I wonder what the Revenue Protection Agency will have to say about it... :twisted:

sgtpepperband said:
thingy said:
-buggy- said:

(that was quick !)

Stand fast Troggies!

Tut tut... you're not using an internal Government Mailing System for personal mail use, are you? I wonder what the Revenue Protection Agency will have to say about it... :twisted:
No, the Queen's Chauffeur delivers them all to their new accommodation, leading them by the hand. I take special care of my nozzers, unlike Pusser! :biggrin:

PS: RP1986, your nozzer will be on his way to your doorstep tomorrow afternoon.

RP1986

GCM
thingy said:
sgtpepperband said:
thingy said:
-buggy- said:

(that was quick !)

Stand fast Troggies!

No, the Queen's Chauffeur delivers them all to their new accommodation, leading them by the hand. I take special care of my nozzers, unlike Pusser! :biggrin:

PS: RP1986, your nozzer will be on his way to your doorstep tomorrow afternoon.
thanks for the prompt reply.

RP1986

GCM
Thingy,
I received my copy of Nozzers on Friday morning and watched them all after work. It brought back lots of memories and I’m sure that gunnery officer was still there when I joined up. I wish each episode was an hour long instead of just the half hour. Thanks for sending me a copy of Nozzers and I’ve sent my donation to Combat Stress to help fellow service personnel get their lives back on track.

Received my copies of 'Nozzers' 2 days ago. Have watched them and chuckled heartily. Makes you realise just how easy they have training these days.

Many thanks

The Turkey

mancitymick

Badgeman
Hello mate. Currently a PO serving at forest moor Is there any chance of a copy of nozzres. More than willing to send a donation

Many thanks

Mick

mancitymick said:
Hello mate. Currently a PO serving at forest moor Is there any chance of a copy of nozzres. More than willing to send a donation

Many thanks

Mick
Sorry for the delay in replying. I have only just encountered this. I will burn you a Nozzer and dispatch him when the Naval delivery boat comes and collects the next batch. ;)

mancitymick said:
.........at forest moor ......Mick
As an aside, is Forest Moor still in commission ?
I used to tender the stores accounts, in the dim and distant past.
Used be grand run ashore, what's it like now ? :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pandaplodder The Fleet 14
fishface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
T The Gash Barge 4