Now the French Predict war with Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Sep 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An article in todays Sydney Morning Herald. The French Goverment is warning about war with Iran. Will they join in this one? Will the Septics attack Iran with the French, how the world can change in a day.

2. They may warn about war with Iran..............but it won't be their war.

As Usual they will be bystanders...
  3. not a hope in hell,we would be mad to go to war with the Middle East up in flames.The Iranians won't use any bomb,Israel would wipe them off the map and the close countries as well,if you drop the bomb then they will go for it all.
    French are just trying to play the diplomatic scene as they do,they will not fight after all where is the famous Foreign Legion?they claim to be the best and are suited for war in Adffiestan but no sign of any french troops,aircraft,helos,anything at all.
    We should not lose any more troops in the mid East.
    I think a famous German general once said" to win a war,Don't march into Russia,keep out of Balklans politics and don't have the French as allies.
    Seems about right to me.

4. You should get out and about a little more often..... and maybe try a little reading as well. It might help.

French Special Forces were amongst the first on the ground in Afghanistan in 2001. This included elements of the French Foreign Legion. They took a particularly big hit when they found a section of their men had been captured and disembowelled whilst still alive.

The troops were flown into combat on a Chinook helicopter to rescue Afghan troops and French special forces, but found dead bodies strewn across the battlefield and gun fire directed at their helicopter.

"The scene was like a human abattoir. We fought off the Taliban but were too late to save the French guys. All of us were shaking when we were flown back to base. One of the Afghan survivors said the French had been tied up, then gutted alive by the Taliban. It was one of the most shocking things I had ever heard."

5. The French White Flag Factory has burnt down,they will go straight into collaboration mode,Has anyone out there got an old French Battle Flag,Thats the one with a white cross on a white background, its needed urgently.
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Le 2° REG est présent sur tous les théâtres d'opérations extérieurs depuis sa création. Projettant chaque année un nombre accru de légionnaires, il a été engagé à Djibouti au sein de la 13° DBLE, en Afghanistan, en République de Côte d'Ivoire, en Guyane au sein du 3° REI, dans les Balkans, en Martinique et en métropole, lors d'opérations intérieures.

2ieme Rep (French Foreign Legion Parachute Regiment) are a busy bunch of chappies!
  7. Sacre bleu!!!!!!!! Pour quoi?
  8. chieftiff

Probably because the FFL are expanding and any theatre of operations France chooses to be involved in then the Legion of Strangers go first!

I would have written it in French but I started to get confused, how do you say "France chooses to be involved in?"
  9. That particular flag was last seen on a Royal Navy ship in the Shat al-Arab. Maybe the French could ask for it on loan??????? :thumright:

10. The death of any soldier of any nationality is a terrible terrible loss but to read what happened to these french guys is horrendous.

11. Now that is clever and entirely appropriate.......
  12. Don't get shirty,I read plenty and go abroad plenty that's why I replied.
    Maybe you should read more as our PM and Foreign minister both stated that our so called "Allies" are not doing enough in both theatres of conflict.
    the fact that some French servicemen did get it is nowhere near the cassyvac of the UK,USA and Canadian troops.
    The French and Germans are in the safe north,they admitted it,the Germans said they won't engage due to their parliament rules.
    Now if you don't believe the PM,F,Sec,French and German spokes persons
    then perhaps you should get out more.
    I don't go by one incident no matter how bloody,it's the war that needs winning or do you think we can win it without any more help?
    Seen any French,German,Italian planes or Helos in the war zone?
    Not a chance and thats my point.
  13. chieftiff

Not getting shirty but:

Withmore than 1000 French troops on the ground and roughly 1500 airmen and sailors, France is actively involved in Afghanistan and is one of the major partners of the United States in that country. French contributions include troops deployed to the International Security Assistance Force (RCC Kabul; 1000 soldiers), training of the Afghan National Army (50 trainers), at sea (a CVN with 26 fighters Rafale and Super-Etendard, 2 Hawkeye aircraft , a frigate and a Maritime Patrol Aircraft), and in the air (6 fighters, 3 tankers, 2 transport aircraft, and 2 CSAR helicopters). Periodically, French fighter aircraft offer close air support to ISAF and OEF ground troops.

French Embassy in USA

I don't think anyone said our allies are doing nothing(apart from perhaps your inference Seafarer, just that they could do more :thumright: )
  14. My my.....Golden Broone and the Rt. Honourable Member for South Shields speak and we must believe. I must have missed the stealth nuclear powered aircraft carrier that the Royal Navy has supporting our men in Afghanistan..............or maybe I just confused it with the FS Charles de Gaulle

April 15th, 2007

Flight of French Navy aircraft from the FS Charles de Gaulle en route Afghanistan fly over the USS John Stennis before shooting a round of touch and goes.

FS Charles de Gaulle sailing in support of multi-national forces in Afghanistan

ARABIAN SEA (April 12, 2007) - A French Rafale from the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier French Navy Ship Charles de Gaulle (R 91) performs a touch-and-go landing on the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74). Stennis, as part of the John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group, and Charles de Gaulle, the Flagship of Commander, Task Force 473, are operating in the North Arabian Sea. Stennis and Charles de Gaulle are conducting bilateral exercises and supporting multi-national ground forces in Afghanistan.

Like I said...try and get out more and when I said read....I didn't mean the Beano.

15. Of course it will happen because the septics said they wont invade Iran :rambo:
  16. Did I read in yesterday's TORYGRAPH that the Elmers were training other Arab states in prepartion for a joint air assaault on Iran ? (Can't find the damn thing, she's binned it).
  17. The gist of the article was that if the Gulf Arab states allow Israel/Elmers to overfly en-route to attack Iran then they can reasonably expect the Iranians to retaliate. [A couple of Sunburn missiles whistling into down town Dubai will grab Shakey Baby's attention].

Now the Septics are trying to train countries like the UAE to respond to the Iranians. Kuwait which is really exposed is stating that it will not allow over-flights under any circumstances.......

It's all part of Shrub's modus operandi ............when you are deep in the brown and sticky keep digging :thumright:

Two days after the a British report that an Assistant Secretary of Defense declared, "I hate all Iranians," a report from the Gulf reveals the US is training Arab militaries and regional leaders for a possible war with Iran.

A Washington-based air warfare conference last month, led by Air Force chief of staff Gen. Michael Mosley, was told how the US has helped coordinate intelligence sharing and organize group military exercises designed to make parallel warfare easier.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, Mosley "used the conference to seek closer links with allies whose support America might need if President George W. Bush chooses to bomb Iran."

The report says the Pentagon has helped set up an air warfare center in the United Arab Emirates, modeled on a US base in Nevada. Dubai and Amman are participating in the program.

The New Yorker's Seymour Hersh said Sunday the Bush Administration will engage Iran on the basis that Iran is supplying the Iraqi insurgency.

In a piece Sunday, Hersh writes, "During a secure videoconference that took place early this summer, the President told Ryan Crocker, the U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, that he was thinking of hitting Iranian targets across the border and that the British 'were on board'... Bush ended by instructing Crocker to tell Iran to stop interfering in Iraq or it would face American retribution."

Another report last month asserted that the US Air Force has reestablished the elite fighting force which planned the 1991 Gulf War's air campaign and tasked them with "fighting the next war" as US-Iran tensions bloom.

"Project Checkmate," resurrected in June, reports directly to Mosley and "consists of 20-30 top air force officers and defence and cyberspace experts with ready access to the White House, the CIA and other intelligence agencies."

Though Iran wasn't the focus of the conference, it came up, the Telegraph says.

"We need friends and partners with the capabilities to take care of their own security and stability in their regions and, through the relationship, the inter-operability and the will to join us in coalitions when appropriate," said Bruce Lemkin, the American air force deputy under-secretary for international affairs. "On its most basic level, it's about flying together, operating together and training together so, if we have to, we can fight together."

It's unlikely Gulf states would join any Western attack. But the US might still need airspace access, and border nations might need to be prepared for counterstrikes.

A Jordanian military aide told the paper "concern at Iran's attempt to establish itself as a regional superpower" had fostered cooperation, "not just at the inter-service level but also at the political level."
  18. Any one here had the oppurtunity to see the complexity of FS Charles de Gaulle, from the inside of course? I would love to jsut be on top of the flight deck. The ship amazes me!!

19. It's technically amazing; deep below decks they have a restricted area that has complete climate control and NBCD filters. It can only be accessed using special ID and retinal scans.

It's listed as Caves de Vin which must be something to do with the nuclear power-plant :thumright: