Now I Don't Think You Wanted to do That ........

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Poison Ivy, Feb 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this sounds horrible but I don't have any sympathy for them. Time and time again people get warned about the dangers but they insist on going. This is basically the consequence of their ignorance.
  2. I have sympathy for their families and dependants however I have little pity for those who died for reason daffy stated. Still, any death is a shame.

Thinking we might see serious US retalliation? Or will Obama just twiddle his thumbs and pretend the incident never happened? OR. will we see strong vocal condemnation :p for all the good it does
  3. Do the Somalian's have oil?
  4. It is a great loss to their family and friends don't get my wrong. But let's be honest its going to happen again and again and it all boils down to people being ignorant and thinking its not going to happen to them.
  5. Fully agree Daff. If theres even a slight remote chance something could happen (hijacked, etc) then they should have at least made some alternative plans.

As to oil.......I'm sure, with all the practice we have had to date, we can make something valuable appear in somalia. ;)
  6. Comments that we in the west act in the interests of oil always amuse me. It is often meant as a form of criticism, as if it was not a worthy cause. Those same people would be first in line for the outrage bus if petrol went up to £2 a litre as a result of us not caring about oil supply.

Apols for thread drift.
  7. Bloody well said Doc, People seem to think that becoming involved in military and political incidents around the world solely on the basis of securing natural resources is morally bankrupt. Well unfortunately until we severely diminish our need for imported gas and oil we must have a vested interest.

If HMG decides to go ahead with the nuclear plant replacement programme it can only be a good thing.
  8. Fully agree. Had hoped my comment about making something appear would be taken as the tongue in cheek bit of fun it was intended to be. Material supply is always an important reason to take action if it directly affects the conditions in our country. Plus Saddam got a long stretch so to say so thats a bonus even if things later didnt go to plan.

Back on thread......... I wonder if maybe this will prompt the Yanks to take a more direct and proactive stance on piracy. Instead of just protecting shipping, hunt em to their lairs and wipe em out. Perhaps a role for NATO's SSN's there. Close covert reconnaisance of the shore and inlets etc to locate their bases for strikes by SF or air attack. If only the ROE were open enough to allow it
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  9. Might be an idea to stop the piracy becoming the Somalian national industry....before they start getting pension plans
  10. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Agreed AngryDoc. Whilst I dislike being so dependent on a resource which is relatively scarce in and around the UK, the fact is we need it desperately. I would be one of the first to say I couldn't manage without my car. It is perhaps an overstatement to say that the West would grind to a halt without the oil countries such as Iraq supply - but I think it might well be true.

Of course, no government would ever state openly that one of the main reasons (if not the main reason!) they want some semblance of control in the Middle East is the West's dependence on Black Gold.
  11. They were, however, off the coast of Oman, not the coast of Somalia, and in an area where pirates were not previously known to operate. I take it you consider the entire Indian Ocean to be a danger area.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My understanding was that they were en route to the Middle East - to give bibles to Muslims... :? None the less, a tragic waste of life, easily avoided by the victims.