NOW CLOSED - Mid March BOOK COMPETITION - Ravilious : The War Paintings

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Mar 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Eric Ravilious was an accomplished artist prior to the start of the Second World War. He was then appointed official War Artist to the Admiralty and the book being offered in this competition is a compilation of his paintings from his appointment as a war artist to his death on active service in Iceland in 1942.

Ravilious War Paintgs.jpg
    Ravilious – The War Paintings​

The book is by James Russell who gives a bit of narrative to each of the pictures in the book, placing them in context. Have a look at the review here.

pigeon.jpg
    Cpl Stediford’s Pigeon Loft

To win this fantastic prize answer the question given in the Survey Monkey, complete your details and click send. That is all you have to do, although I suspect that for many Google will once again be your friend.

Ark Royal.jpg
    Ark Royal in Action​

Remember, read the question and understand it before you answer. Good luck, 5 lucky winners will receive a copy of this book.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Ageing_Gracefully

Evening Bumpity Bump

3. Ageing_Gracefully

Just a reminder about this great book showing the work of a WW2 Admiralty war artist. Have a go and try to win this great book.

4. Ageing_Gracefully

Get your entry in for this fantastic book to have a chance of winning it. I got a copy yesterday and am gobsmacked by it. The pictures shown on here do not do justice to those in the book, plus the background stories to the pictures written by James Russell add a great deal to the picture and to Ravilious' life. Such as the fact that his boss detested artists and did not particularly like Ravilious, who was not the most military minded person and certainly not 'officer like'!

Honestly, this is a great book and is for people like me who are not arty farty but "know what they like"!! And I like.

Get your entry in now by going to the survey link in the first post and answer (correctly!) the three questions and you will have a chance of winning a book which can bring some kulchoor to your life. And it is free!

5. Ageing_Gracefully

A week left to go in this competition so plenty of time to get your entry in. The prize is very worthwhile and this could be the best couple of minutes you have spent in the past we while.

6. Ageing_Gracefully

Just 24 hours left to get your entry in for this competition. 41 entries so far and only 3 incorrect - all due to not reading the questions!

Have a go, it is free and there is a great prize.

7. Ageing_Gracefully

Winners

The winners have now been drawn by Tim Mainstone of Mainstone Publishing who kindly supplied the prizes: The winners are, in no particular order:

denzh
    lurgancrow
    Wave_Dodger
    judgekid
    spanner

I will email each for names and addresses but you can also PM me if you read this first.

Congratulations everyone, and look out for the next great competition for Ravilious: Sussex and The Downs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.