November Book Competition #2 - THE WORLD AT WAR

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Nov 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Many of you youngsters would not have been around when this first came out, but the series has been shown on TV many times since 1973 and a book has now been brought out about the making of this huge documentary. The book has been reviewed for ARRSE and the review can be found here.

To enter the competition, all you have to do is go to Survey Monkey and complete the entry form, with its really easy questions. Remember RTFQ and the answers are on t'interweb, which is where I got the questions.

The competition will run until midday (ish) on Sunday 2nd December. 5 copies are on offer as prizes.

[​IMG]
    Click image for review.​

2. Done, here's hoping . . .

3. Done hope it really was that simple or I will be proved to be simple

4. Done, just to see Dredd off :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Done, I have been.

6. Duly completed now negotiating armistice with Mrs Tre, who didn't go on a DTS

7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Done.....A series that I watched religiously. Brought back vivid memories from the war years.

8. Done........

9. Done. I've just watched afew episodes of this series randomly and been thinking of picking up the book

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Done..................

11. Done...fingers and toes crossed.

12. Don't forget the eyes . . .

13. Dundiddly dun dun

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Done. Would love to win a copy of this, as I am currently ploughing through the Blu-Ray box set (lots of extras!!)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  15. The late great Richard Holmes did an oral history of the series. Well worth getting your hands on if intrested. ISBN number. 978-0-09-191752-4. Its full of transcripts of interviews that were not included in the series. One which made me smile,was by a gent, Hamish Mahaddy. Soft spoken former member of bomber command. When asked if he had any regrets at the end of the war, his reply was..'Well quite apart from an enormous feeling of relief, was that it had all been a complete failure,because there were still sixty million of the square headed bastards still living'.. You dont get political incorrectness like that these days. Well done Sir, BZ.

16. Ageing_Gracefully

This competition still going and will be until Sunday 2 December. It is proving to be one of the most popular this year but I appear to have made the questions far too easy, only 3 mongs, ooops sorry, unfortunate fellows, with wrong answers, to date. In fact, the competition is so good that 3 people have had 2 goes at it! Never mind - one name per entry [​IMG]

If you enjoyed the series as a youngster then enjoy the book describing how it was brought together.

17. Done.............

18. Ageing_Gracefully

WORLD @ WAR - Winners and Answers

This has been a great competition with probably more entries than any other book competition this year, although that may be because I made the questions so easy!!

The winners are:

• rebbonk
    • granny
    • LancePrivateJones
    • McSkimp
    • ark angel

As I have a copy which was sent to me as a 'freebie' I will add that in also and the 6th person drawn out was:

• emsav

Congratulations and I am going to email the winners so please respond to that with your name and address and I will arrange for the books to be sent out to you.

The answers are:

Q1 Which TV Company A= Thames TV

Q2 Who narrated the series - A= Olivier

Q3 Where did the prog rank in the top 100 TV shows - A= 19th

19. rebbonk

rebbonk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Thanking you :)

You have email.

20. You dancer! Cheers A_G