NotW: "Sea-k & Destroy: SBS Gets £8m Anti-pirate Sea Drone"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Jun 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

That's a bit gucci, they'll be needing a new boat shed for that one.
  2. Surely the STC Branch would be the better suited SF Unit to operate this equipment?
    I mean Bootnecks and technology!
    Still you wouldn't have to leave your grot with a secure WiFi link and laptop, so the low profile could be maintained with ease. 8)
  3. It's the beginning of the end, all those miles and hours in the gym wasted as the grot steadily fills with empty pizza boxes. And then the self discipline will follow as their literally take their eye of the game to watch the franky on the 42" LCD sat in the corner...
  4. Gucci I want one now.
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Let's take this seriously for a moment and discuss how such a craft might be deployed. It will take up a certain amount of space and require a certain amount of maintenance, and as it is unmanned requires brain rather than bravery to use it. I would think Albion, Bulwark or an RFA (Bay or other) would be appropriate host ships and could house the associated personnel where the maintenace could perhaps be doubled up on other ship's duties? The catch seems to be that to make this craft available may require tying down a larger unit as 'mother'.
  6. Re: NotW: "Sea-k & Destroy: SBS Gets £8m Anti-pirate Sea Dr

Pity they don't seem to have attached a UAV to it.

In decent weather states it would be most useful to put a UAV up, for close surveillance and BVR weapons delivery.
  7. I think this is a fantastic idea, it can't be long before some boffin comes up with the idea of remote controlled soldiers that could, at a push, be commanded by even a schoolboy, who could, with proper guidance and training, not only fight Terrorism and Piracy but even bank robbers and the like on Home soil.
    Hold on I'll have a Google.....Wow would you believe it, hot off the press the latest Gen.

Popular Science Article
  8. Let's be honest this is the future of warfare.
  9. Re: NotW: "Sea-k & Destroy: SBS Gets £8m Anti-pirate Sea Dr

Some "boffin type" told us recently that they were in the process of developing a set of wheels on a motorised frame that attaches to the waist of a soldier and would carry all our extra kit around behind us thus making us much more mobile and able to move about more freely in areas such as the green zone in afghan... I suspect not...!
  10. After reading the article and in particular this quote:

I think that the LPH/LPD's are where the boffins are thinking it should go anyway.
  11. [​IMG]

General Jumbo, duty hero from the 60`s

Technology finaly chatching up?
  12. Cheers for that, although it's remarkably similar to the link in my post. :wink: