Notice Submitted - advice

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by PO Potty Mouth, Nov 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. I have submitted my notice about a month ago and and have my resettlement interview this week and hopefully doing the CTW thing in the next couple of months

anyone got any recent experience of this process? is it any good? helpful? any good contacts for future employment??????

I am currently a PO(CIS) in pompey having done 13 years. I would like to remain in the maritime industry and time away is no drama for me (just the endless crap alongside in the RN is)

cheers anyway
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Go along, if only to get two days off work, drink loads of coffee and take home a Gucci book that contains some nice CV templates. However don't believe all the guff they tell you about how you are "valued" and that the commercial/private industries are "rubbing their hands with glee" at the prospect of recruiting an ex-serviceman - it's all crap. They will blow smoke up your arse because thy are paid by MOD to do exactly that.

Take their advice by all means, but you're more likely to get a job by relying on your own personality and networking skills. Oh, and their "exclusive" website that they promise will contain job adverts for service personnel only? Tosh. Most are secondhand adverts freely available through loads of other recruitment websites. The best of which is the Google of job sites, "Indeed".

Good luck. :thumbleft:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

First tip, laughable as it may seem now, after 13 years service, don't burn your bridges - leave the door open should you land on your arse & want to later want to rejoin.

Good luck with resettlement.
  4. cheers
    feel so much better LOL

basically, I would like to get into shipping/off shore. Anyone have any experience in getting into this that are not WE/ME?
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you're on Faceache search for "offshore vacancies". Loads of maritime roles popping up daily. Or RFA?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.
  6. sgtpepperband

Maritime security is saturated, so avoid that (unless you are a combat medic/first responder). If you have a niche skill or qualification then exploit it, or take the opportunity to leave by diversifying into a new industry now, while you can. And don't expect to jump to a job immediately that matches you current salary/status. What the RN calls 'management' is not the same as what industry calls 'management'.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  7. RFA is something I will look in to. I appreciate that everyone has an equal chance of joining the RFA but would an EX PO(CIS) have a decent shout of getting in?
    I understand that they will be recruiting CR ratings again around May time?

as for Off shore vancancies. I am most certainly NOT an engineer. Cant blag my poor efforts as an OM 10 years ago as enough to be classed as an engineer LOL
  8. sgtpepperband

9. certainly under no illusions that I wont jump into a job that matches my pay/responsibility.
    would rather get into an industry that I want and work my way up if you get me
  10. exJenny

CIS recruitment is open now for courses next year.

And offshore is not just ME/WE type jobs. Everything is on there!!

11. I did phone the RFA recruiting office in pompey (not the helpline number) and was told that the current applicants are for an April (i think) intake. and that there will be another round of recruiting in april/may for an October 2014 intake (which would suit me as I leave the RN in october)

the RFA people have sent me an application form already but is it worth sending it in for the late 2014 intake?
    also, would my experience/course completion in the RN (dii being a big example) aid my application?
  12. exJenny

I escaped the RN early as I had a firm job offer... I'd have thought it worth applying now, but that just my opinion.

13. exJenny

A PM to Megalopteron, RFA RR member might be worth a punt.

14. I left in July after 22 and I found most of the CTW pointless. Yes they show you very roughly how to write a CV, but they tell you nothing of real value for when you leave.
    Make sure you sort out a civvy doctor and be prepared for prescription charges. Even though I am not yet working, because I have a pension I have to pay. It probably won't apply to you though.
    One of the things I've found quite difficult is socializing after leaving. If your moving away from where you have been based, like I have, although I know a few people here, it's difficult to get to know people as they don't quite get our mentality :):)
    There are new things I find out about how civvy life has changed since I joined. General community seems to have broken down a bit, and the authorities don't give a damn anymore. If you complain about the state of your street, some half- arsed fwit will eventually sweep it or cut the grass, but your better off doing it yourself.

as someone else said, don't burn your bridges, you may not like it out here :):)
  15. ok, something to think about. RFA does sound appealing to me. Like the RN without the bollox (I assume)
    I dont want to apply for only to not be able to meet any joining dates and be seen as a time waster if you get me

what about present experience in the job in hand? DII is a biggy as the system is horse shit. but I am utterly spammed up on the thing
  16. exJenny

I applied for SG2 and got told recruitment was for the next course in January only. Got to interview and it was for January and April courses!

The guys/gals in CNR would be your best bet I would think for info but I'm sure Mega would provide some sound advice too.

17. again, thank you
    I spoke to someone directly at RFA offices in pompey (not the recruiting line)
    and it was them who informed me of the april/may planned recruiting.
    they were not allowed to say anything but that all applicants are dealt with equally when I pressed about current experience of my current role

again, thank you
  18. exJenny

I'm no expert, just sharing my personal experience of going down the RFA route, and I'd check on early release from RN.

19. another thing
    Having served over 12 years, I will be entitled to £10k resettlement grant when leaving
    do you get this straight away in a lump sum?
  20. I cant see me coming back. Not with the issues with the pension and a break in service