Not much of a draft!

ex_wasp_L2

Lantern Swinger
I would have loved that draft as I could have gone on weekend to visit me family most weekends from there

Altbea was a rather pleasant spot on the shore of Loch Ewe not far from the Subtropical Poolewe Gardens. In my day there was a couple of fleet tenders there and a very minimal shore staff to look after the place and the Nato Fueling Jetty at the head of the loch. Good fishing country, plenty of hills an awful lot of midges in the summer but no snow in winter.

Can think of worse places, spent my first honeymoon not far away from there.

Blood

MIA
My grandfather was incharge of building the fuelling tanks, he has very fond memories of Altbea, or AULT BAY as he called it.

neil6814

Badgeman
I think that the photo is of Mellon Charles just a couple of miles round loch from Aultbea. The boom depot was at Mellon Charles.
Every year we used to do boom exersises in Loch Ewe.
We used to tie up to the jetty in Aultbea at night.
There was only 2 pubs within about 10 miles. One was the Aultbea Hotel and the other the Drumchorch Lodge.
Mail and daily papers didn't arrive until the evening when the once a day bus came back from Achnasheen. Sunday papers didn't arrive until Monday night.
The Bank of Scotland was a wooden shed at the side of the road, it opened one forenoon a week.
The village doctor marched up and down his garden every night playing his bagpipes.
When they held dances ashore in the village hall they used to search you at the door for a bottle. If you didn't have one they would send you back to the hotel to get one.

creeper

Badgeman
Spent many a week at Aultbea when I had a shore job with NEMT(N), always packed a good stash of books in the truck mind you, not a great deal to do there.

JeffB

Badgeman
Maxi_77 said:
Altbea was a rather pleasant spot on the shore of Loch Ewe not far from the Subtropical Poolewe Gardens. In my day there was a couple of fleet tenders there and a very minimal shore staff to look after the place and the Nato Fueling Jetty at the head of the loch. Good fishing country, plenty of hills an awful lot of midges in the summer but no snow in winter.

I spent 2 weeks there supporting the MCMVs playing in JMC a dozen or so years ago. I assure you it did snow then!

Incidentally another local 'attraction' is Gruinyard Island (better known as Anthrax Island).

Loch Ewe became the main base for the Home Fleet after Gunther Prien in U47 sunk the Royal Oak in Scapa Flow.

In 2001 I visited the place loads of old military artifacts scattered about. I think NATO still have a fuel depot there. Not a place most matelots would like to be drafted to. Miles from anywhere, no services and difficult to access.

Nutty

Anyone ever been here? Is it really as bad as it looks? I can't imagine there are many C240's go in for this place! :lol: :lol:

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=442688201&size=o
I was sent here with about ten other Junior Seaman from HMS Cambridge in 1961. we were based for the night at Mellon Charles in a huge Nissen hut, surprisingly warm at the night .We were told our mission was top secret and was the first time we signed the "Secrets Act" document. The only watering hole was the Altbea Hotel. We were told that as we represented the R.N we may be allowed a pint of beer, as the Scottish laws allowed 16year olds to drink in moderation. That was the windup. Anyway we were not expected to follow it up. Half an hour later after a vigorous walk we managed a pint of beer and a whisky. That measure equalled two measures in british pubs and charges ass one single. So although part of their entertainment in the "Windup" we got our drink. The local "Bobby" was the base Sergeant of police, said as we had behaved we could have one more pint and then we had return to Mellon Charles.
The mission was a secret then but I feel confident its no longer a secret matter, as I downloaded information from the Secret Bases sight on the net, and its avaliable to the public.
We were to take the resident MFV to the Isle of Rona and construct a wooden hut for the use of constructors to live while building a prefabricated station for Quinetic. The object to monitor underwater signatures of naval ships on trials at sea. Ive since talked to the Quinetic manager and he was impressed to hear from a "Pioneer" of sorts and the speed we had constructed the hut. We didnt know but we were allocated a week to complete the mission. We took two days. Loch Ewe is currently an official base for NATO exercises, so really a collecting point of visiting navies to play grown up games, including Subs. Thats why it always looks boring, its not designed for Military holidays, thats for the civvies, and for some strange reason, rent rooms and hotels for a holiday. I mean we had to go there, but using the area as a holiday resort? beats the hell out of me. I hope that gives you some peace mate, and you really are not missing out on anything. I feel sorry for the crews anchored off and not allowed to go ashore. Battler Britton.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Much Wenlock residents urged to find out about flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Much-loved coastal heritage assets to be saved with almost £1 million of Coastal Revival Fund MoD News 0
Dusty70 How Much......................................... Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS News story: DIO restores much loved Wiltshire monument MoD News 0
TechFin Is There Much Of A Waiting List For Pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS News story: New fingerprint chemical to ‘make it much harder for criminals to escape... MoD News 0
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
L How much longer????? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Advice much appreciated please. Submariners 17
BoatyMcBoatFace How much of the world does the average RN sailor see? Travel & The Great Outdoors 114
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
u04elw2 How Much Time Spent Away From Home? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
F Not missed much then Diamond Lil's 38
S Thank you very much! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
O Army Deferral, how much will it go against me? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
I How much notice of AIB do you get? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W How much phys do you during Phase 1? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Western Morning News: "Not Much Room To Spare For HMS Penzance" The Fleet 0
Waspie Not so much up diddly up!!!!! MoD News 12
E RMR work as much as you like? RMR 13
R SOS! SFA Q: How much more does SFA cost @ NON-ENTITLED Rate The Quarterdeck 1
soleil Mail: "Meet The Man Who Loved Harrier Jump Jets So Much He Bought One" The Fleet Air Arm 1
fishhead Astute Class and how much they're costing. Submariners 0
B How much longer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
M How much history should i research for my interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J How much ironing preparation are you doing before joining raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
DublinRum how much notice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
trelawney126 How Much did you pay for your Xmas Tree £900? Current Affairs 6
pinkprincess Big Brother much? The Gash Barge 5
Drakey So much for spelling The Quarterdeck 6
trelawney126 How Much more Bread To Fix The Haldron Collider AGAIN The Gash Barge 3
pinkprincess Just because it made me laugh so much! Diamond Lil's 5
C How much time Blogs 8
M Front & back doors, how much? Lil's version. Diamond Lil's 14
witsend Front & back doors, how much? Finance & Pensions 22
B How much is everyone else doing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
trelawney126 Too Much to Hope For Current Affairs 2
Montigny_La_Palisse How much can you spare? Charity 26
L Speed time distance - your opinion (not so much a how to!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Too much CCTV Current Affairs 2
JaFAA Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better do? Diamond Lil's 19
SpliceTheMainbrace 8-9 MONTH MOBILISATIONS, HOW MUCH LEAVE?? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23
slim Benefits pilot scheme scrapped for costing too much Current Affairs 5
P How much does it cost to train a royal marine commando? The Corps 29
A Too Much Sun = Site Issues 4
S How much was I earning - 1975 History 40
GSSR_Vvd Why do i bother to do so much for the RNR??? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 46
F Nasty Scam YOU cant do much about! (baseball bat req'd) Diamond Lil's 7
K It's best for governments not to know too much Current Affairs 3