Not eligible to reapply due to previous discharge...appeal?!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Muppet89, Feb 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong place....feel free to move it!
    And i cant be arsed with any wise cracks or sarcastic comments please!

I got discharged 7 months ago due to Shin Splints. The MO at Raleigh said as my injury was only acute and id probably be right as rain within a couple of months with the help of some physio. So he gave me a letter which said i would be welcome back at Raleigh after 6 months were up.

I reapplied and had a medical in December, where the guy doing my medical said he didn't think i even had proper shin splints as my shins felt fine, no lumps or bumps! He also couldn't understand how i managed to get discharged within 2 days of them finding out i had a problem.

So anyways, had a phone call the other day telling me that they arn't allowing me to go back. Which fair do, id read on here that it could happen!
    But my careers officer has advised me to appeal because he thinks its totally unfair considering i have 3 letters which state that i will be eligible to rejoin the navy after 6 months providing the Doc passed me as fit, which he did.

Now, i don't know if i'm going to be wasting my time (and the Navy's) by appealing?!
    Anyone done this before??

Information is greatly appreciated :)

2. Give it a go and see what happens, what have you got to lose?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ===============================================
    ===============================================

I'd guess that there is a cryptic clue in the OP's user name.....

4. From what you've stated, there's good grounds for appeal. Least of all, a uniformed doc has said "come back in 6 months" but shin splints have nothing to do with lumps and bumps.

5. He said that when people have shin splints you can feel them on the shin but hey I'm not a doctor lol.

6. That's a steaming pile of poo. Usually there are no findings on examination.

7. I know one thing bad shin splints do not live up to their mild mannered name. I had them once and **** me they were horrific.

8. How can you tell the difference between shins that cramp up when you run, and shin splints that would disqualify you? At the moment I get terrible cramps in my shins when i run for even 6 minutes. I am passably fit and can cycle, and cross train with no bother, but I find running makes my shins hurt and then if I keep going I can't lift my toes anymore and my feet feel like lumps of meat. I just recently got new running shoes though and I am hoping they will solve this matter, but now I am worried. I don't suppose they let you do the fitness test (PJFT) on a low impact machine like a bike or eliptical trainer eh?

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Surely the most common ailments for "Underwater Messengers of Death" was pressure sores (from laying in your scratcher all day) and conjunctivitis (from looking at the ickle pretty shiny mirrors...)? :wink:

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Now I'm confused. So is steaming piles on your legs a symptom of shin splints or wearing tights when you're suffering from diarrohea?! :shock:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Grippy_Gecko - you need to see someone about that. Sounds very suspicious. Doesn't sound like shin splints, but it could be a thing called chronic compartment syndrome. I'd advise you see your GP or physio soonish to get it sorted out. Inability to move your toes after exercise is a very bad sign and is nothing to do with cramps.