Not being a confident swimmer

Blue2019

Hi,

Joining the navy has been on my mind for a couple months now but still thinking about if it’s right for me by weighing up the pros&cons, one of my concerns is I’m not a massively confident swimmer, water doesn’t phase me an neither scared of being on water i.e (on a boat) but when it comes to being in the water and treading water and staying afloat I’m not as good, I never have been but I’m willing to learn and get it sorted in order to be in the navy as it is something I am passionate about and would like to pursue as a career. If I apply for the role now what is the chances of me being successful still? Will the training I will do with the navy include sorting out my swimming ability?

If anyone on here could please shed some light on this or if anyone having the same thoughts, please let me know as it’s holding me back from applying. Much appreciated.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Learn to swim
Go to lessons and get it sorted. Being able to swim is one of those skills everyone should have.
You don't need to be olympic standard but being confident and able to swim 50m and then tread water for 2 minutes is one of the tests I had to do.
The tread water time starts when the last person finishes the swim so in some cases the faster swimmers are treading water for much longer.

That is my experience and it may have changed since i had to do it.

Drakey

War Hero
Learn to swim and not just enough to be able to pass the test. You need to be confident in the water so when swimming circuits etc appear on the program you are not fearful of the water. The swimming test has changed and is the other way round to what Redmonkey stated. If you can't pass the test you will not pass training.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
It is a few decades since i did it.

Still the main point is learn to swim. And be confident in the water.

I havent had a Hands to Bathe for a few years and I dont know if they still happen but if they do they are fun.

Who else can say they have been swimming hundreds of miles from the nearest dry land.

Seadog

War Hero
The Nautical Colleges and some independent MCA endorsed providers run the one day STCW Personal Sea Survival course. The Navy run the same course as part of BSSC and ISSC. The Navy’s outdoor version is in water a little colder than the civvy indoor ones.

Once you can swim, gain further confidence if needed, by doing a civvy Sea Survival Course.

Waspie

War Hero
I wasn't confident when in the water before I joined, (in the dark ages - well before calculators!!!!). I was designated a 'backward swimmer' after a short test. The good old RN took me by the hand and taught me the basics, treading water both in a swimming costume and in coveralls as well as making sure I could swim a few lengths. Can't say what they do these days with basic (training) being shorter.

The best advice has already been given, learn to swim prior to joining, that will mean you can spend more time to concentrate on something that perhaps can't be learned prior to joining.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Like 5 people could not swim when I went through as in the PTI’s had to drag them out on the end of a pole.....dont be one of them go to a swimming pool and learn? Get lessons. All you have to do is 1 and 3/4 lengths in overalls!

Waspie

War Hero
Like 5 people could not swim when I went through as in the PTI’s had to drag them out on the end of a pole.....dont be one of them go to a swimming pool and learn? Get lessons. All you have to do is 1 and 3/4 lengths in overalls!
Do you still have to tread water Max?