Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not being a confident swimmer

Blue2019

Hi,

Joining the navy has been on my mind for a couple months now but still thinking about if it’s right for me by weighing up the pros&cons, one of my concerns is I’m not a massively confident swimmer, water doesn’t phase me an neither scared of being on water i.e (on a boat) but when it comes to being in the water and treading water and staying afloat I’m not as good, I never have been but I’m willing to learn and get it sorted in order to be in the navy as it is something I am passionate about and would like to pursue as a career. If I apply for the role now what is the chances of me being successful still? Will the training I will do with the navy include sorting out my swimming ability?

If anyone on here could please shed some light on this or if anyone having the same thoughts, please let me know as it’s holding me back from applying. Much appreciated.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Learn to swim
Go to lessons and get it sorted. Being able to swim is one of those skills everyone should have.
You don't need to be olympic standard but being confident and able to swim 50m and then tread water for 2 minutes is one of the tests I had to do.
The tread water time starts when the last person finishes the swim so in some cases the faster swimmers are treading water for much longer.

That is my experience and it may have changed since i had to do it.

Drakey

War Hero
Learn to swim and not just enough to be able to pass the test. You need to be confident in the water so when swimming circuits etc appear on the program you are not fearful of the water. The swimming test has changed and is the other way round to what Redmonkey stated. If you can't pass the test you will not pass training.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
It is a few decades since i did it.

Still the main point is learn to swim. And be confident in the water.

I havent had a Hands to Bathe for a few years and I dont know if they still happen but if they do they are fun.

Who else can say they have been swimming hundreds of miles from the nearest dry land.

Seadog

War Hero
The Nautical Colleges and some independent MCA endorsed providers run the one day STCW Personal Sea Survival course. The Navy run the same course as part of BSSC and ISSC. The Navy’s outdoor version is in water a little colder than the civvy indoor ones.

Once you can swim, gain further confidence if needed, by doing a civvy Sea Survival Course.

Waspie

War Hero
I wasn't confident when in the water before I joined, (in the dark ages - well before calculators!!!!). I was designated a 'backward swimmer' after a short test. The good old RN took me by the hand and taught me the basics, treading water both in a swimming costume and in coveralls as well as making sure I could swim a few lengths. Can't say what they do these days with basic (training) being shorter.

The best advice has already been given, learn to swim prior to joining, that will mean you can spend more time to concentrate on something that perhaps can't be learned prior to joining.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Like 5 people could not swim when I went through as in the PTI’s had to drag them out on the end of a pole.....dont be one of them go to a swimming pool and learn? Get lessons. All you have to do is 1 and 3/4 lengths in overalls!

Waspie

War Hero
Like 5 people could not swim when I went through as in the PTI’s had to drag them out on the end of a pole.....dont be one of them go to a swimming pool and learn? Get lessons. All you have to do is 1 and 3/4 lengths in overalls!
Do you still have to tread water Max?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
J Likelyhood of being able to switch roles Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Judge-led review to provide greater certainty for troops being investigated MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Being a Reservist is the best of both worlds MoD News 0
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveys being carried out for Tadcaster flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RNIB failures led to some children in the charity’s care being harmed, says watchdog MoD News 0
R Being the only girl Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS VMD Export Certificates being issued electronically MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
R Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve RFA 6
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Spellbinding Monet work worth £28 million at risk of being lost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses are being urged to register for Making Tax Digital before August MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Statement on positive steps being taken in Brunei MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER WAFUs being naughty. Diamond Lil's 11
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid helps stop 750 pieces of illegal ivory being smuggled from South Sudan into Uganda MoD News 0
D Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS Press release: Pupils find out there’s more to being an engineer than first thought MoD News 0
U Being fired in a previous job Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J Finger Tattoo's. Currently being removed. Will i get turned down? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y Being available during application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
FunkyJunky Mental Health and being in the RN Health & Fitness 1
Lumberjack Being a reg and getting a degree Joining the Royal Navy 7
R being apart.... Nearest & Dearest 2
SONAR-BENDER Pensions. Are we being shafted? Finance & Pensions 36
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
L Information on being a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
esunnyside31 Dear Deirdre - "Not sure if I'm being played" Nearest & Dearest 28
Hooly I am over the moon being one of the first 3 to pass the AIB Direct Entrant Petty Officer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15
A Is the number one uniform also being replaced? The Fleet 14
FAAFLYNAVY American Airbases Being Closed! Current Affairs 16