Not all is well in the F-35 paradise...

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by TeddyT, Sep 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. F-35 project in more troubles:
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Though technical problems put a crimp in the programme, Bogdan says that the relationship between Lockheed, the JPO and stakeholders is "the worst I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of bad ones. It should not take 10, 11, 12 months to negotiate a contract we've been working with for 10 years," he adds. "I think that's the biggest threat to the programme today. If we do not improve the day-to-day relationship, this will not work.""

Substitute Atlas for Lockheed and I give you, DII <tish boom>

• Like Like x 1
  3. Was on the news here today in the states that the US Gov't will not bail out Lockheed-Martin if they continue to have problems with software integration of the helmet-mounted HUD. Not sure how procurement works in the UK, but it has been a mess for YEARS in the United States. Too bad that you guys in the UK got dragged into this mess along with everyone else.
  4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Quite simply it doesn't! It's one of those rare areas where I think we are probably on a par with the US. We spectacularly manage to over specify and change our minds right up to the days the product is expected then wonder why its late, over budget and fails to meet the requirement. We're also especially really very good at saying we will take more risk, particularly with regard to security then immediately fall back and fawn at the feet of a contractor who states he needs to do X or cannot do Y because of 'security' and then demands a bucket of additional money, then when we realise he won't meet our requirement the said contractor then says "ah, thats because of security".

A ludicrous situation our Fat Controller (known here as Chief of Defence Material - CDM) has decided will be infinitely better if we replace all of our Crown Servants and Military embeds with pure contractors and civilian companies. I'm sure it will all work out marvellously for Defence!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. More importantly does anybody know why the crabs are getting some?

Surely the multi-purpose Tyhoon will meet all their needs?