Not Again!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Mar 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. KABUL, Afghanistan: U.S.-led coalition forces mistakenly killed five Afghan police in a clash in a southern province, the government said Friday.

The police were manning a checkpoint in Gereshk district of Helmand province when the clash broke out early Thursday, Interior Ministry spokesman Zemeri Bashary said.

"Coalition forces mistakenly opened fire on police," Bashary said. "Unfortunately five policemen were killed."

International Herald Tribune 16-03-07

What is wrong with the Americans other than being poorly trained and poorly led, they are nothing short of a liability. Our troops in Helmund Province are doing their utmost to defeat the taliban and just as importantly attempting to win the hearts and minds of the local population. Incidents like this undermine all our efforts and there is little wonder that our combat troops like the American Forces to operate well away from them.

2. There you go, nail on the head.
  3. I just dont' believe it!!!
  4. Whilst that may be the case, if the Septics weren't around to cadge from, there would be little in the way of decent kit for UK forces!
  5. Where did you get that 'pearl of wisdom' from?
  6. So would I!!!!!
  7. Hate to interupt another finknottle witchhunt, but:
    "US Led", doesn't necessarily mean American. In this case, even a NATO spokesman says that this was most likely Afghan-on-Afghan. The term is simply used to differentiate between the different commands (NATO/ISAF, etc).

More details
  8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't recall seeing any guys out here cadging from Americans.... let me think - well there are the magnum boots, think they are american - but we get them from our stores.... The reason why the yanks have so much kit is that they go and buy it themselves from the PX. First time I walked into one I thought it wa army surplus gone mad!! All the gadgets they purport to have are all paid for from there own opckets - even the gucci laser sights etc on their weapons come from gun magazines.

The phrase "all the gear but no idea" springs to mind....
  9. Witchhunt, Heaven forbid but it does make a change when your lot are not to blame.
  10. Sorry for the "witchhunt" thing. I was a little p*ssed-up when I wrote it.
    And if I'm going to be honest here, when I first saw the story I thought it was our guys too.