Norway Scran

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by finknottle, Jan 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our Royal is currently in the frozen north and must be at a loose end as he emailed me this. Thought you old and bold Royals might like to see if it has changed from back in the day. I will add it looks much better than some of the slop Mrs F puts on the counter.

photo_edited-1.jpg

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

That looks a bit different.

Porridge and strawberries. **** me what's Royal doing up there, playing tennis? :)

Nowt wrong with a pouch of rolled oats with milk powder, chocolate powder and sugar added then topped up with enough boiled snow to make a wonderful guey concoction.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crikey, when would they find the time to do some fighting when having to eat\drink all that?

4. wet_blobby

You can only do so much "self loving" when trapped in a snow hole..... :)

5. They've got Best Before Dates.......................... Thought Rat Packs were immortal ?

6. wet_blobby

They used to be, that's a gourmet menu for Bootnecks to send back to gullible parents, he's really eating flavoured snow and Biscuits AB. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. God Blobs ... that brings back some horrible memories ... holed up with the BARV crew on some beach in some fiord! arghhh!

8. Bollox to that menu. Where's the Spangles and tiffin chocolate?

• Like Like x 1
  9. wet_blobby

Spangles......Mmmmmmmmmmm

Dont know about the chocolate, you talking about kendal mint cake?

10. No, Blobs. The tiffin chocolate was the bar with raisins and biscuit in it. I don't know if it was specific to the arctic rations but I do remember having a good supply of it when the Old Man used to return from Norway. I'm pretty sure I recall him talking about the calorific value of the arctic rations being 'upped' to help counter the energy use in the cold but, then again, it might have more to do with Noggy women and their energy demands :shock:

11. Kendal fackin' mint cake!
    My teeth still ache from the amount of that shite, we used to knock back.
    Food of the Gods for MLs.
    The new menu looks very appetising, Finks. But as with Blobbs, a sachet of rolled oats on a frosty morn were hard to beat, hand warmer and brekie all in one.

12. wet_blobby

I'm with you now, bar of chocolate, same shape and size as a "Yorkie" but with nuts and raisins in it....essence.... and yes the Arctic rat pack was mega for calories.... if memory serves something like 6000 per 24 hour rat pack.

.... and if anyone can cook the ******* thing, "surprise" peas included and get a fully re-hydrated meal out of it I'll shout you a bottle of single malt.

13. Was it the Norway or just a "winter" rat pack that had the essence chicken curry in?

14. wet_blobby

If it was Tinned it was the ten man rat pack, that particular delight had chicken curry and goulash (Essence).

Also had tinned sausages and burgers...equally essence...... and a whole tin of those lovely oatmeal cakes....and.....Oops....I'll shut up... :)

15. Ah I definitely had a can of chicken curry in a 1 man rat pack back in the early 80's. Oatmeal blocks with the tube of jam smeared over them ymmmmmmm and if feeling really indulgent the condensed milk as well.

16. I've said it before, but walking along at stupid o'clock in the morning with the tube of jam in one side of your mouth, the tube of condensed milk in the other and squeezing and sucking (no smutty comments please!) was the breakfast of the Gods. At that precise moment in time. Even better if one of the troops hated condensed milk!

17. I thought Bootnicks survived on yellow snow and hard tack.

18. wet_blobby

We only told that tale to dumb matelots and watched them try and copy us.... :)

19. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The ordinary rat packs are good as well. The curries are fantastic and the choice of mains are far better than the good old days of tins. I had the misfortune to have a Sikh (yep, you read that right) rat pack once and it was full of nuts. The halal ones are quite good as well. A lot more thought has gone into the menus and choices these days. I'm a huge fan of the corned beef hash me.

20. wet_blobby

But could you eat the same menu ration pack for 6 weeks straight with only the different Herbs/garlicflakes/curry powder you've hidden around your fighting order?