Normans very own bucket of sh!t part II

Re: Captain removed from post

Seaweed said:
Naval Gazer et al - the true 'public interest' in, for example, a person's medical condition depends on their role and responsibilities. Late revelations of the true medical state of (for instance) JFK or Eden, and the medications they were taking, shows that they were medically unfit for the jobs a democracy had chosen them to do. In a rare fit of decency Wilson resigned when he knew Alzheimer's was coming on - but it was a fair while before the public heard about it. Oh, and Dudley Pound's brain tumour? Nobody is indispensable.
Like the doctor telling his patient Ive good news and bad news
Which first?
The bad news is you've got a dicky heart. And --
The good news is you've also got Alzheimer'--- So you'll have forgotten about it by the morning

finknottle said:
Quote Times online: A spokesman said: “We can confirm that Commander Jeremy Woods, Commanding Officer of HMS Cornwall, has been removed from command. This is an internal administrative matter between the individual and his senior officers and we will not give further details of the removal."

As I and other taxpayers pay his salary and those of his masters I dammed well want to know why he has been removed from his sea command to drive a desk.
The MOD says that Jeremy is being moved to a post where his talents and experience can be used to best effect.
Clearly the sea ,warships and Jeremy are never to be reunited. Being skilled in Tabloid /MOD relationships an Associate Editorship of the Sun beckons.

A

angrydoc

jennyw said:
The MOD says that Jeremy is being moved to a post where his talents and experience can be used to best effect.
Clearly the sea ,warships and Jeremy are never to be reunited. Being skilled in Tabloid /MOD relationships an Associate Editorship of the Sun beckons.
Must be great to be on first-name terms with him. Are you bestest friends for ever?

finknottle said:
Tough! If they had all done their jobs properly first time round they would not have to repeat weeks 5 & 6. As for being put under pressure that's the idea is it not?
Go and wash your mouth out.
These are Commanding Officers from a privileged background for the most part. One or two (token) have come from the ranks but--principally, they are from the public school educated sector. ( paid for by tax-payers -(You and me)

What do you expect?

jennyw said:
finknottle said:
Tough! If they had all done their jobs properly first time round they would not have to repeat weeks 5 & 6. As for being put under pressure that's the idea is it not?
These are Commanding Officers from a privileged background for the most part. One or two (token) have come from the ranks but--principally, they are from the public school educated sector. ( paid for by tax-payers -(You and me)

What do you expect?
Sorry, I have no idea just what the point is that you are trying to make?

finknottle said:
jennyw said:
finknottle said:

What do you expect?
That we are not getting the best available. Not too many years ago it was not possible for a bright young man from the Lower Deck to aspire upwards. The privileged few would have prevented that.
How many of todays AF's Admirals Vice Admirals and Rear Admirals came from the Sink Estate Schools?

Not one. All from Independent Schools Paid for by us.

Aye there's the rub!

jennyw said:
finknottle said:
jennyw said:
finknottle said:

What do you expect?
That we are not getting the best available. Not too many years ago it was not possible for a bright young man from the Lower Deck to aspire upwards. The privileged few would have prevented that.
How many of todays AF's Admirals Vice Admirals and Rear Admirals came from the Sink Estate Schools?

Not one. All from Independent Schools Paid for by us.

Aye there's the rub!
Is that you Norma…

Are you still bitter because the Navy didn't make you an Occifer and passed over your Grandson?

kinross_special said:
Yet again threads descend into chaos when a certain gentleman gets involved. Since when has the taxpayer funded public schools? or have you just talked yourself into a complete logic loop? People who go to public schools are sent there by their parents so, firstly, well done for being broad minded enough to visit the sins of the fathers on the sons, I'm sure it's that sort of tolerance which makes you such a charming person.

Secondly, they pay taxes too so if anyone is entitled to gripe it's the parents who pay their taxes for the state education system but derive no benefit from it as they send their children outside the state system.

The other problem with your statement is that it's factually incorrect. But I suppose that oughtn't to come a surprise. Pushers of mean spirited little agendas have very little respect for the facts. As a purely rule of thumb experiment, have a look at the dartmouth/Sandhurst passung out lists in the Times/Telegraph. The Navy brings far more of its officers from the state sector than the army- and they make up a clear majority of naval officers.

Aside from a cheap little dig at social class which betrays rather more about your own hang ups and dismal inferiority complexes than it does about the service you traduce, I, like F-N, have absolutely no idea what point it is you are trying to make.
Of course taxpayers pay. Did 1SL's children go to the local sink school? Did he pay for them to attend superior Public Schools No he did not. We did. All part of his package .
Atempting to defend it-- just makes one cringe even more.

amazed_wafu said:
i thought the subject was of the skipper being binned from the F99....whats all this class stuff all about??
as he "binned" was a product of that Class System-- And failed it>

jennyw said:
Of course taxpayers pay. Did 1SL's children go to the local sink school? Did he pay for them to attend superior Public Schools No he did not. We did. All part of his package .
Indeed. I enjoyed a fine independent school education at HM Government's expense.

Only thing was, though, was that Dad wasn't the 1SL. In fact, he didn't even have a commission. He was a sergeant (since you're obviously thick as mince, that's like a petty officer, but in green.)

When last I looked, Boarding Schools Allowance was payable to all ranks. Or, if that still looks a bit expensive, join the queue for the Duke of Yorks.

kinross_special said:
Yet again threads descend into chaos when a certain gentleman gets involved. Since when has the taxpayer funded public schools? or have you just talked yourself into a complete logic loop? People who go to public schools are sent there by their parents so, firstly, well done for being broad minded enough to visit the sins of the fathers on the sons, I'm sure it's that sort of tolerance which makes you such a charming person.

Secondly, they pay taxes too so if anyone is entitled to gripe it's the parents who pay their taxes for the state education system but derive no benefit from it as they send their children outside the state system.

The other problem with your statement is that it's factually incorrect. But I suppose that oughtn't to come a surprise. Pushers of mean spirited little agendas have very little respect for the facts. As a purely rule of thumb experiment, have a look at the dartmouth/Sandhurst passung out lists in the Times/Telegraph. The Navy brings far more of its officers from the state sector than the army- and they make up a clear majority of naval officers.

Aside from a cheap little dig at social class which betrays rather more about your own hang ups and dismal inferiority complexes than it does about the service you traduce, I, like F-N, have absolutely no idea what point it is you are trying to make.
It is not the service I traduce columniate or otherwise misrepresent. I hold the Royal Navy in high regard. It's its present day upper deck that disappoints. No cheap little digs at social class as you suggest mere alarm at such ineptitude from, principally the product of Independent Schools paid for by the tax payer for the most part. ( Their parents served).
If you think the RN is presently well-run it must be a matter of some concern to your logic that so few wish to join and fewer still wish to stay on for their fifth-fives.

Mods, not sure why my post above was left in when the others went to the Gash Barge- can it go there now please along with further ramblings which it is attracting. Otherwise this is just going to get dragged off topic again.

usmarox said:
jennyw said:
Indeed. I enjoyed a fine independent school education at HM Government's expense.

Only thing was, though, was that Dad wasn't the 1SL. In fact, he didn't even have a commission. He was a sergeant (since you're obviously thick as mince, that's like a petty officer, but in green.)

When last I looked, Boarding Schools Allowance was payable to all ranks. Or, if that still looks a bit expensive, join the queue for the Duke of Yorks.
Of course it was. The bright Corporal's children received the same public school education as the Commodore's not so bright? I checked with a teacher colleague of my wifes at Charterhouse. How many A.B.s children currently attend? None.
How many Half Colonels and Commanders? The school is full of them paid for for the most part by taxpayers (Including the AB) His (or her) children will be at the equivalent of an Independent "sink" school. Equal opportunity? Duke of York's notwithstanding

kinross_special said:
Mods, not sure why my post above was left in when the others went to the Gash Barge- can it go there now please along with further ramblings which it is attracting. Otherwise this is just going to get dragged off topic again.
A sample of todays fighting spirit?

"Further ramblings" They're getting the better of me so please bin them otherwise "Counselling" will be called for. I'm not going to be dragged "Off topic" again. It's all becoming too much!

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
If this 'bright' corporal's children are good enough to get into a school such as Charterhouse, and yet he doesn't place them there, then maybe he's not so bright after all.....

At my children's school its pretty much an even mix...

jennyw said:
kinross_special said:

It is not the service I traduce columniate or otherwise misrepresent. I hold the Royal Navy in high regard. It's its present day upper deck that disappoints. No cheap little digs at social class as you suggest mere alarm at such ineptitude from, principally the product of Independent Schools paid for by the tax payer for the most part. ( Their parents served).
If you think the RN is presently well-run it must be a matter of some concern to your logic that so few wish to join and fewer still wish to stay on for their fifth-fives.
Are you still convinced the Top Brass of today's navy are up to their jobs. Do those of those two decks down still think that those grammar school pilots and observers -- who served but a dog watch, represent the Upper Deck.
How many AF's, Admirals and Officers of Flag Rank attended State Secondary Perhaps the Engineer chappie but who else?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
whitemouse Miscellaneous 0
B The Gash Barge 0
L Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14