Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Tech branches to adopt the rate of WO2

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's an interesting point that Sir Michael Betts recommended we (ALL arms of the forces) had too many grades in our management structure.

At the time it was fleetingly considered combining the rate of PO & CPO.

I tended to agree that from AB to the Commanding Officer of a ship (for example) there only needs to be about 4 or 5 "grades" or rank as used in the equivalent civilian management structure.

It's interesting that it is now being considered introducing even more sub-divided ranks.

Chaz

MIA
snorkypig said:
As for the old WO2 introduction for non tech branches. Why do it? it will cost them more in pension payouts.Higher spine cpo's can now earn the exact same pay as WO2 techs anyway.

A CPO, Non-tech can earn more than a CPO Tech, us CPO Tech's are capped at level 7, non-tech's can go onto level nine. I believe (I maybe wrong?) that all CPO's (on AFPS 75 pension) get the same pension (asuuming they have served the same amount of time) regardless of higher/lower pay band or indeed increment level.

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
It's an interesting point that Sir Michael Betts recommended we (ALL arms of the forces) had too many grades in our management structure.

Frankly I'd agree, although I'd note that we in the RN essentially feed three organisations who use our people; ships, DE&S (Procurement and Logistics support) and the so called Higher Management of Defence which each have different requirements and different hierarchical structures.

I tended to agree that from AB to the Commanding Officer of a ship (for example) there only needs to be about 4 or 5 "grades" or rank as used in the equivalent civilian management structure.

If you consider the average ship as somewhat bigger than the majority of Small to Medium Enterprises in the UK I'd think we're not too bad, although I'd say that the management layers don't actually reflect the range of ranks and rates in use. There is a degree of overlap at the SR/ JO interface and we also need to accept that we have to have some overhead for developing people without considering them as still trainees.

Personally I wouldn't consider OOWs as part of the management chain, and to an extent the Engineer departments and Logs department could survive without Lieutenants, although that begs the question of where you grow Lt Cdrs from.

I'd consider the EWO as on a par with the Lts in the structure,

You could argue a merge of CPO/ PO or PO/ LH, but not both, IMHO.

In the HQ sense if you consider WOs, Lts and Lt Cdrs as delivery and Cdrs as supervisory you could probably cull the Captains and frankly the 2 stars as well. that would certainly reduce the amount of nugatory gash produced there and reduce interference.

It's interesting that it is now being considered introducing even more sub-divided ranks.

I've watched this debate with some interest. I see little operational value in the move, but I suspect it's galley range quality.

the only benefit I can see is in retention and reward, noting that I don't consider a promotion a reward. Given that we're offering a lengthy career there needs to be some clear progression, and removing ranks would need some other form of giving people a monetary reward for their performance. That leads us straight down the path of personal pay settlements, uncapped. that's an interesting proposition, but I'm not convinced it would be good for our ethos or culture.

flipflop

Midshipman
I'm a WO1 at FLEET. I have just spoken to the WO Promotions office and JSWOC section.
It has been looked at and rejected by the RN and RAF.

I

In_my_day

Ninja_Stoker said:

Interesting but at 4 ranks you have the CO; and presumably a 2IC; and the AB, that leaves one rank for the rest of the ship's company. If the 2IC is the same rank as the rest of the middle management presumably you rely on his appointment to invest his authority. However appointers being disappointers, does that mean he can be moved to a less senior position for his next job (every 2 years perhaps unlike his civilian counterpart who may spend 15 years acquiring his skills in the same job)? Will he receive the correct level of Command and Staff trg to drive the ship, with the resulting Operational experience, but be subordinate to a less experienced man in his next role? The same would apply to all the; formerly; SRs and LHs. Assuming that the lower deck get 3 levels of responsibilty on a 5 level ship, how do you ensure that everyone gets the correct trg for the job he's in? Easy, you over train everyone at some stage of their career! Then of course we come to the drafty's role. Hey there's no shortage of LHs we've got hundreds, send Johnny; even though the job he's going to was formerly that of a senior PO, but they no longer exist. That empty PO billet send Billy, he's the same rank (even though yesterday he was a B13 Chief tiff WO navy type job thingy, but they don't exist anymore).
Tongue in cheek perhaps but a perfect example of how workable civilian models cannot always be applied directly to the military.

scabz

Lantern Swinger
snorkypig said:
On the subject of a foundation degree for ET's you will not actually get a foundation degree until you complete cpoet course not as suggested Poet course. <snipped>
The Tech branches get an FD by doing an optional "top up" academic module attached to the POET's course (optional if you get high enough marks on the first bits in the POETQC, otherwise you don't get offered the opportunity to do the module).

Just a little different point of view, don`t take offence, is it that the people joining to-day don`t have the same education standards as the old tiffs did? Just a thought.

London

Midshipman
flipflop said:
I'm a WO1 at FLEET. I have just spoken to the WO Promotions office and JSWOC section.
It has been looked at and rejected by the RN and RAF.

What has been rejected? WO2 for the RAF?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Non-Jury Trials Justice and Security (Northern Ireland) Act 2007 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Central Europe conference for non-governmental influencers: call for bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive Director appointments to Ofwat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Two new Non-Executive Directors appointed to the Student Loans Company Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement at the 5th Round of Pakistan-UK Bilateral Consultation on Arms Control, Non-Proliferation and Disarmament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Addressing chemical weapons use in Syria and non-compliance of Security Council resolutions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NIO announces appointment of Non-Executive Directors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 45: Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on Truth, Justice, Reparation and Guarantees of non-Recurrence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Non-Executive Board Members appointed to two departments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Explanation of Vote on Non-proliferation (Iran) resolution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator opens statutory inquiry into Birmingham-based education charity, after continued non-compliance with governance requirements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Nash appointed as Government’s lead Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Department for Work and Pensions appoints new Lead Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plans to ensure pubs, restaurants and cafes offer both smoking and non-smoking outdoor options MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Department for Work and Pensions appoints two new Non-Executive Board Members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Upholding the nuclear non-proliferation regime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator opens statutory inquiry into Yorkshire-based education charity, following repeated non-compliance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Christopher Kelly reappointed as a non-executive member of the Office for Budget Responsibility MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baroness Laura Wyld appointed as Non-Executive Board Member to DCMS. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New non-executive directors appointed to UKSA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remediation of buildings which have unsafe non-ACM cladding systems: ministerial direction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Four new Cabinet Office Non-Executive Board Members appointed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail replacement vehicles: extension of non-accessible period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive appointment to MOJ Departmental Board and Chair of Audit and Risk Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-ACM remediation and the Building Safety Fund: stakeholder update (6 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive Director appointed to Gov Facility Services Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF expands protection against non-payment for UK exporters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS General public should not have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Ian Cheshire to stand down as Government’s Lead Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hemant Patel appointed as Non-Executive Board Member to DCMS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Barry Panayi appointed as Ofgem Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator highlights areas increasing the risk of non-compliance before new Rent Standard is in force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Non-Proliferation Treaty remains essential to maintain peace and security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Myriam Madden appointed as Ofgem Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail replacement vehicles: extension of non-accessible period to 30 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive Director appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment term extended of existing Non-Executive members of Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofwat non-executive Chair's appointment extended MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishermen urged to remove gear from non-UK waters ahead of Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKFAs prepare licensing for commercial fishing in non-UK waters after Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Increase of UK exports to non-EU countries, latest figures show MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Michelle Heath joins NDA Board as a Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three non-executives join HMRC Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD’s new non-executive directors start work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive Chair to the Civil Service Pension Board: 5 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DWP announces the appointment of David Holt as Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government ditches non-disclosure agreements for Brexit preparations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stakeholder report on non-lethal seal deterrents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement at the 4th Round of Pakistan-UK Bilateral Consultations on Arms Control, Non-Proliferation and Disarmament MoD News 0