Non-Food Allergies - Experiences and Appeals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by FusionJCE, Nov 24, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have previously applied to the forces and been initially rejected on the grounds that I suffered a single anaphylactic episode about 5 years ago when I was 16/17.

The reaction was to a wasp sting (directly on top of my spine/back of my neck), and I have been stung in the years after with no reaction.

In recent years, I have undergone de-sensitisation and have documentation to say my immunity levels are close to normal population levels. I also have documentation that suggests I should carry an EPIPEN, but not that I NEED to (which is how the criteria define it). I am looking to try and join the RN and appeal the medical decision. I have already applied and have my RT in January.

I have no further medical conditions, and I am fit and healthy.

I am aware that only a MD in the Navy would be able to answer the question of "Can I join?", but I was wondering if anyone has had the experience of appealing a non-food allergy in the RN, and if so, what the allergy was to, any treatment you had, how you justified the appeal, as well as whether the appeal was successful.

I know there are a few RN Doctors on here, and if you are able to shed any light on being treated for non-food allergies and appeals, that would also be great.

I do NOT want people to tell me what the medical criteria are - I am well aware and have read the MOD Form on Medical Barring. I am simply asking for any experiences people have had.

ATB,

FusionJCE

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not a medical expert myself but I've seen a few applicants appeal against the standards set in the JSP, (paragraph 3.13.17, not AFCO Form 5), none of them succeeded unfortunately. The difficult bit, I suppose, is gaining irrefutable evidence that you are no longer sensitive by medically controlled exposure to the thing that triggers the reaction.

Perhaps @nemesis1066 can provide further advice.

3. If the RN is what you want, then go for it and good luck, from your post you already know, it may not be an easy task you have set yourself.

4. I take a dose of wasp venom every 6 weeks in a controlled clinical environment and have done for 3 years - I have never reacted in an allergic manner (only the normal slight red welt in the flesh).

I have also been stung outside by actual wasps and bees (I'm country orientated before anyone mentions I'm unlucky getting stung so much).

They tested my initial allergy with a blood test, which I will request is repeated when I finish treatment so that I have cold hard numbers to throw at my appeal, but I was just wondering about other peoples experiences and how they found the process.

I'm not setting my eyes on the RN as a dream perfect career, as I don't want the crushing feeling if I get PMU'd.

I'm not sure if I've read the standards set out in the paragraph you quote of JSP, I shall take another browse on Defence Gateway later today.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  6. I haven't seen the JSP standards - Thank you for referring.

That puts things very much in a new light as it says "A past history of such Type 1 (immediate IgE mediated reaction), regardless of trigger, is graded P8 unless there is irrefutable evidence that an individual is no longer sensitive".

I know I am Type 1 as I was diagnosed as Anapylaxis whilst in A&E, but I'm not entirely sure what counts as irrefutable evidence as the JSP continues to say:

"a. IgE levels should be interpreted with caution as they are not independent predictors of symptom severity. There are no tests with adequate sensitivity and specificity to indicate who might be at risk of a fatal reaction.

b. It is not possible to predict the severity of subsequent reactions based on previous history."

IgE Levels is the blood test I referred to in my previous post.

As it all appears to still be grey, I am going to pursue and just honestly present all of the information/clinic letters/blood work that I have so that a Navy MD can make the decision.

If I get P8 (PMU), then I guess I will finally have to accept the decision that it is just not destined to be and do something else!

Atb,

FJCE