Non-epileptic seizures

Bus101

Hi there, I’ve recently turned 18 and was very interested in joining the navy spent 7 years as a cadet at Sea Cadet Corps,
However at the age of 13 I had a series of ‘seizures’ no tests have positive results for epilepsy, and they couldn’t find the cause but they’ve stopped around 5 years ago (they didn’t know if they were book like seizures so it got put down as a funny fit)

What are the chances of me getting in with this past?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi there, I’ve recently turned 18 and was very interested in joining the navy spent 7 years as a cadet at Sea Cadet Corps,
However at the age of 13 I had a series of ‘seizures’ no tests have positive results for epilepsy, and they couldn’t find the cause but they’ve stopped around 5 years ago (they didn’t know if they were book like seizures so it got put down as a funny fit)

What are the chances of me getting in with this past?
Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

Only a qualified Medical Examiner can give definitive advice, once in possession of your medical history relating to the seizures. However, in order to manage realistic expectations, the odds are that this will be a significant issue with regard joining the Armed Forces, regardless of time elapsed, due to the fact you were over age 5 and there were multiple episodes. That said, the only way you'll know for sure is by applying and asking for advice from the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) at the very beginning.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong - Good luck.

Joint Service Publication 950, Annex G, Paragraph 3 states the following:

JSP950 said:
Seizures and epilepsy

3. Candidates diagnosed as having epilepsy or who have had more than one seizure after their sixth birthday are to be graded P8 (Permanently Unfit).

The following should be noted:

a. Febrile convulsions. Candidates with febrile convulsions before their sixth birthday and with no subsequent seizures, may be graded P2 (Fit for Service).

b. Single seizures. Candidates with a single seizure less than 5 years prior to entry are graded P8.

Candidates who have had a single seizure more than 5 years before entry, and who have not been on treatment during this interval, can be graded P2 (in accordance with DVLA Group 2 entitlement standards).

They may still be unable to enter some trades or branches, subject to single-Service regulations. Such candidates must be referred to the single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits.

c. Provoked seizures. Those with a history of provoked seizures should be assessed on a case by case basis and advice sought from the single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits. Consideration will also need to be given to fitness for service in relation to the provoking stimulus. It must be clear that the seizure had been provoked by a stimulus that does not carry any risk of recurrence and does not represent the unmasking of any underlying vulnerability.

d. Petit Mal (absence seizures). Candidates with a history of typical childhood absence seizures with onset before the age of 10 years, who have had no such seizures for 5 years (without treatment) may be graded P2.

e. Benign rolandic epilepsy of childhood. Candidates with a confirmed diagnosis of typical rolandic epilepsy of childhood, who have been seizure-free for 5 years (without treatment) may be graded P2.

Bus101

Thanks for that quick reply sorry I’ve only just got round to replying,

I have heard different things about a 10 year gap so I will just go in apply and hope for the best, thanks !