Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Noise induced hearing loss

Have a look on the SPVA website,its all on there,what forms you need etc,all available to download,good luck and let us know how you get on!

Barney don't give up on your Hearing aids mate. My 1st one's were the the old style, with a lump of plastic shoved in yer lug. Bloody never could get on with those. The a couple of years back, they asked me to take part in a trial for a new style. They are like little Silicon mushrooms that go in the ear canal. Brilliant! So comfortable, the 1st night it wasn't until I lay down that I realized I still had them in.
Mine are both NH digital. Without them TV sound at 58 + With them in 38/40.
Just one last thing, did you get a hurt cert. from the Mob for hearing loss when you left?

Not giving up on my hearing aids,looking forward to getting them! Never got a hurt certificate,the MOD says I am not deaf enough and yet here I am getting hearing aids!

I have hearing loss and tinnitus. Firing the Charlie G far to many times didn't help. I worked at a power station for over twenty years turbines heavy earthmoving equipment. Banged in a claim shite GMBMU fought[joke] my claim. They blamed RM for ear damage so best take the grand on offer said the official. I left in 74. Just been issued my NHS earing device for one ear. This remains the property of NHS at all times it stated. So before I go in the crem or grave best hand it over.

Day four of my digital hearing aids and they are great! TV is down low now,I have stopped shouting as I can now hear what I say! The world is such a noisey place! Do I bother going back to the RN to now I have the hearings and say,how deaf do you have to be to get a pension?

Day four of my digital hearing aids and they are great! TV is down low now,I have stopped shouting as I can now hear what I say! The world is such a noisey place!

Do I bother going back to the RN to now I have the hearings and say,how deaf do you have to be to get a pension?

Barney,

1. BZ. But believe me, you will soon value the act of removing those little lumps of plastic, esp. when its hot 'n sticky; blissful tranquility...

2. Why not try it on? (At least now you'll be able to hear the Pusser laughing at you...:wink:)

How long do claims to WP take ??? Put mine in about 2-3 months ago as i have hearing loss in both ears of 55dB 4KHZ range, this from an NHS test some 8 years ago. I left the mob in 1996 had no pre discharge medical or nothing and certainly no hearing test, only my initial joining up one in 1990. I have had a reply back saying sorry for delays and they are still dealing with it. Any help would be great, also would i come under the 20% rule or the 50dB 1,2,3 KHz or do they both apply to each scheme.

Many thanks

Pete

Holy thread resurrection, I currently have a no win no fees lawyer who has accepted the case to fight for compensation as I was misinformed when I turned 30 and my hearing loss was discovered....wait out!!!

Holy thread resurrection, I currently have a no win no fees lawyer who has accepted the case to fight for compensation as I was misinformed when I turned 30 and my hearing loss was discovered....wait out!!!
Hi Barney,

I wish I had been on RR when I tried for compo from the RN. I have NIHL in both lugs and know it was not caused by 8 years working offshore as they are really strict (good) with hearing protection. Pusser basically blew me out and told me it was all natural. I think I will have to dig out all the paperwork again and speak to RBL.

BTW, I have digital hearing aids and yes they work really well. Just make sure you get your hearing checked regularly and have them tweaked to match your results.

Good luck. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

I forgot to say that during my first SETT, doing my suit escape, I burst my starboard eardrum, it was fecking painful for a second or two.
Since then I have never been able to hear a phone conversation properly if I hold the phone to my right ear.
On every PULHEEM after that scarring of my starboard eardrum was always noted and a marked high frequency hearing loss was recorded on subsequent audiograms while in the mob.
I never did receive a hurt certificate for the perforated eardrum.
I suppose I should have known better, being in the medical branch, but I was 18 years old and green.

Last edited:

Latest Threads