Noise induced hearing loss

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by BARNEYRNSM, Jan 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been out of the mob nearly two and a half years now. On discharge I was diagnosed with the above due to service in diesel electric submarines, but it is not enough to get compensation. Mrs Barneyrnsm is sick to death of having the TV loud enough so I can hear it. Went for a civvy hearing test and i can get digital hearing aids for about £500 per ear. has anyone experience of NHS hearing aids or claiming for the cost of the digital hearing aids from the MOD.
    I await the funny retorts of eh what you saying and useful posts!
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I seem to remember (prob like you) a fair number getting a payment for something along those lines. You had to have joined before a certain date which I can't remember. It was to do with ear defenders and the fact they weren't issued as PPE before a certain date.

This is something close to me, because I think my hearing has been affected over the years spent in machinery spaces even thou I keep passing the hearing test. Unless you have something noted in your docs, I think you might be pissing in the wind.

Have there been any studies measuring the decibel levels around boats? Must have been in this modern age.
  3. I had this in my civvy work i was compesated just over 7000 pounds .My left ear is 50% worse than the right attributed to rifle fire on the ranges etc that was put on my medical report but i got nothing from the mob.It is all to do with )they dont like paying out if its after the date youve no chance .If you go NHS and they test your lugs and the test sas you need aids you will get them .My wife did
  4. When we decommisioned Opportune in 93 the H&S people came down the boat and accessed the noise in the motor room and from what I can remember he said we should have worn ear duffs,we had the main motors running,2x main motor blowers,2x 60Hz MGs,1xLPMG,1x400HzMG,1xCP voltage MG and his machine went off the scale.
  5. I have high frequency hearing loss due to service in diesel-electric boats. I have now been equipped with a pair of hearing aids to help compensate for said loss. The problem with high frequency is that speech is divided into two basic components - high freq and low freq, one being vowels, the other consonants. So, consonants being high frequency, occassionally in conversation i miss understand or fail to hear what somebody says. This results in me 'assuming' what somebody has said and formatting an answer accordingly. Naturally, this can result in the person who asked the question in the first place looking at you as though you have just gone completely loony tunes as the answer you have given actually bears no relation to the question asked in the first place.
    I was referred to the consultant in Derriford by the RN - consequently my hearing aids etc were free. They do help, but occasionally the help a bit too much and certain sounds can become a nuisance so I often take the buggers out.
    I'm still in - hence my free stuff.
    I did read some time ago about a sliding scale of compo for hearing loss (noise induced) - might be worth asking the british legion or war pensions agency on that one - I know that that is what I'll be doing when the time is right, as I have been advised to do so by my doc who is a civvy locum in Drake.
  6. Will try the NHS then.
  7. I have every sympathy.
    I'm sure many years of Naval Gunnery have fooked my ears up even though on discharge my hearing was "OK".

I now have what is considered "social deafness", where if background noise rises above a certain level, (quite low), I really strain to hear what is being said.

I know my dit is of no help but I just want you to know you're not the only one.
  8. BarneyRNSM

When the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme was reviewed just over a year ago, I know that hearing loss was something which was looked at and some changes were made. You may be eligible for sufficient funds to enable you to buy the hearing aids you need. You may be well advised to speak to the SPVA on Monday.
  9. I will, many thanks
  10. Fantastic thanks!
  11. Barney

I may have accidentally misled you - you may have to apply under the War Pensions Scheme which is for injury prior to April 2005 - the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme which I gave you the leaflet for is for injury after April 2005 - I don't know which one you will fall under, but I'm sure the SPVA guys will know.

Pensions and Compensation
  12. Having read it through,its the same as I first applied to. Will see if they have changed their mind
  13. WPA paid a pension for hearing loss above 20% and a lump sum below 20%.
    It was c. 1993 when they stopped paying anything for hearing loss below 20% They do consider tinnitus to be a hearing-impaired condition however.
  14. I thought that might be the case.

I read through both and got the impression that the AFCS, especially in its reviewed form, allows more flexibility in the hearing loss area and thus allows compensation to a wider range of applicants. The problem with the WPS is that it contains a very specific paragraph which makes it clear that anyone suffering hearing impairment below a certain cut-off point will not be compensated.

I note that the RNID has taken an interest in this.

I also see that one or two private hearing aid providers are mentioning Armed Forces personnel on their websites.
  15. Which websites are they please?
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Characteristics of noise-induced hearing loss include marked loss of high frequencies - the loss pattern is distinctly assymetric across the frequency spectrum, as opposed to what happens with loss of hearing through age. This particularly affects 's', 'th' etc sounds. Cilia (tiny hair-like structures) in the inner ear are vibrated by the soundwaves repeated by the ear drum. The cilia translate these vibrations into electrical signals, which are then passed to the brain which sorts the result out into English (or Chinese or whatever). The shock of loud noise causes these cilia to become brittle and over time break off. Two implications of this are that the actual loss can start to appear, or to be aggravated, some time after one has left the service; and one can suffer from tinnitus which I believe to be the brain frantically trying to make sense of other electrical noise as the signal to noise ratio deteriorates.

When it all got past a joke I was referred to the ear clinic in the QA hospital in Portsmouth, now have 2 NHS hearing aids which are (a) free, with free batteries (each battery lasts about a week, they come in a six-pack from my health centre/germ exchange) and (b) after careful tuning (the odd repeat visit) VG.

If applying for compensation be prepared to fight your corner and appeal any settlement as it will probably improve if you do that. If sent for a test make sure your ears are clear of wax well in advance (nurse in your GP surgery will sort this out for you, ordinary olive oil will soften any deposits, no pint in being turned down because of wax when that isn't the real underlying problem). Remember the CS will chisel the individual as they hate people who have actually served.
  17. I will try again,is there any weight in asking the RBL for help?
  18. I'm currently going through the process for this myself. I joined up prior to the new AFCS but left after it had been implemented. I was tested at Nelson in 2005 and a deficiency in my left ear was discovered but never followed up, I chased the mob a few times over this but nothing was ever done. When I left in '07 I was given a very basic test again, but I somehow passed this.

My conversational hearing is badly affected and like Polto, I generally piece together what people are saying from the few words I can pick out and a bit of lip reading. My missus is also threaders with having the TV on full whack all the time. It's especially bad if there is mild background noise, if I'm in the kitchen for instance and the tap is on, I won't be able to hear the missus speaking in the next room.

I also have tinnitus which is a bit annoying, it tends to come and go and I generally notice it when it's quiet i.e at night. It sounds like high pitched white noise in my brain, occasionally it gets very loud though, usually when I am by myself.

Under the AFCS I might be entitled to compensation. From the website I have checked the tariff and items 16 and 27 under the 'senses' category are most like what I have.

For clarity, 50-75db averaged over 1, 2, 3 kHz is anything between normal conversational talking and a vacuum cleaner.

I'd wager that if your problems fall within the list, you will be entitled to some compensation under the War Pension scheme if it was before 2005 or the AFCS if it was after.

Edited to clarify: I have never been on a Diesel boat in my life, I believe my snags are from a combination of gunfire and working in close proximity to aircraft.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011