Noel Coward's "In Which We Serve"

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Seaweed, Jan 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2000-2150 tonight Sunday 20th on BBC4

Shown to my entry virtually as an instructional film during our first week at Dartmouth.

2. Remember on my NBCDI course it was shown, solemnly enthraling the audience until during the scene where they abandon ship, when a POMEM pipes up "it's alright Chief my feet can touch the bottom!" Amazing how one quote can change the mood.

3. .
    .'
    Seaweed,

Without wishing to take anything away from Sir Noel Coward's vast achievements, eg that fine film* and his other enduring works**, can you recall if there was ever even a hint/suspicion of his proclivities at time or did his homosexuality only become apparent to the masses after his death?

Just genuinely curious in view of the creeping then step changes in social mores/laws since the second world war and remembering that there always seemed to be someone aboard who could claim to identify the 'beefers' among the stars of the fifties/sixties.

*Interesting fact:

<<...actor William Hartnell turned up late for his first day of shooting. Coward berated Hartnell in front of cast and crew for his unprofessionalism. He then made him personally apologise to everyone before firing him...>>
    Somewhat OTT - Whatever happened to 'scale'? In Which We Serve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

**Noël Coward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Another film Daz Boat triffic

5. Is that a cleaner version of Das Boot?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Great film.Hooray Henrys in the wardroom.Leerey cockneys in the focsi'l, and a backbone of Janners and Scots in the PO's mess.Love it.:clap:

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

No idea Breathers, I would think the laws of libel prevent any nasties emerging during life (all same Ted Heath). Otherwise we might have had a new version of the Ballad of Reading Gaol with piano accompaniment.

My grandmother met NC when he was about 12 (his mother had a holiday place at Lee on Solent). Granny asked Noel what he wanted to be when he grew up. "The most famous actor in the world".

Having watched last night I think the unspoken subtext of showing us the film at Dartmouth was "If you can't take a joke you should not have signed on".

If you stayed right through to the credits you will have seen that Juliet Mills played her father's baby in the film! There's an early start for you.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You're not saying that Ted Heath was, but he played the organ in church and liked choirs and things.

9. I've seen three badge booties playing the piano and attending church parades.
    If you ever feel the urge to tell one he's a bender, can you give me a twenty minute start.:glasses8:

10. Used to wind up the steward on one of the small ships I was on no end by reminding him of the scene where Noel Coward takes his personal crumbrush weekenders with him. Not only does he get the poor bastard (might even be a killick) to drive his car to chez Captain he then tells him on arrival to get his arse into the kitchens to help the butler out. Probably wouldn't have touched the soup prepared by LSTWD Romft that particular extenders Sir.....

• Like Like x 1

11. No sympathy at least he got to go weekenders and drive a nice car, and like always he got to go ashore first:thefinger: