No Win - No Fee

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by creakin, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wasn't sure where to ask this question - so put it in social.

Advice please shipmates............

Mrs creakin has just started a no win - no fee claim for a fall at work. All this paperwork from the lawyers is quite baffling (not good with long words).
    Has anyone ever gone down this route - any experience - any pointers will be greatly appreciated............. :thanks:

2. Hope you have some success :farao: :farao:

Hope the Wife wasn't too badly hurt.
    Its a strange situation getting hurt at work --lots of niggardly things come up and also I think there's a blame factor of awareness to hazards although by law the employer has to provide a safe place to work.

Its getting safer in work places but to implement a full H& Safety and insurance recommended 'safety' package a lot of firms would be bankrupt
    doing the installation of all safe measures!!!!!!

So fill in the forms and let the paperchase begin-----beware of Solicitors fee's if the wife does win her case.

:nemo: :nemo:
  3. Sorry can't help on that Creakin, but if she is a union member, she should approach them, free legal with most unions
  4. I claimed for tinnitus with driving heavy earth moving machines and working on turbines.

Had to pay the General Municipal hundred quid for fighting my case.

Would have been higher pay out but service as bootie was mentioned the other side would blame gunfire etc.

I would say get it in black and white in short speech that you can understand and have a witness present when you go see the weasel.

I do know when I was getting divorced I was charged by the weasel for lending a sympathetic ear.
  5. I've been down that route after a car accident. I didn't even use one of those companies who you see in the adverts. I literally went into a local solicitor and told them the circumstances, I already had a letter from the offending driver stating it was her fault. The solicitors did the rest as her insurance company paid for my legal fees. I got the whole sum that was awarded to me.
  6. Thanks for the replies so far.......... :thanks:

Greenie.....the accident was caused by (in my view anyway) bad maintenance,

mrs creakin walked through a door, down a step and unfortunately just by the step the concrete had broken away and left a hole (damage had been there ages - but not repaired) where my wifes foot went, twisted ankle fell chest first on floor. cracked a rib, badly bruised her nose (blood everywhere), forehead and eyes.

Strange thing is within 1hour of the accident the hole was repaired/filled with tarmac. the management obviously concerned?

Edited to add.......

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Sorry to hear about your wife's injury, and I hope the matter is resolved successfully. In my experience I would avoid the 'no win, no fee' companies as they hook you into an insurance policy contract once you have 'won' your case. You can get perfectly good legal advice from union representatives, the Citizens' Advice Bureau or many solicitors who offer free consultation or 'pro bono' work.

However, I would like to play Devil's Advocate for a moment:

Unless you are a structural engineer, your opinion counts for very little as far as the court is concerned.

If you (or Mrs. Creakin for that matter) had noticed the damaged step before and failed to report it to the appropriate department (building manager, for example) then this could negate the claim, under her obligations as an employee in accordance with the H&S Act.

Well of course the hole was repaired; they were obliged to do so as they didn't want anyone else to become injured so soon after the original accident.

Please keep us updated on your legal process.
  8. Thanks to all those who replied....................