No Rum Ration This is the Signal

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Nutty, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do not ask where it came from but on behalf if "Janner" I place this sad signal, the origional, on RR for all to see the Lower Deck sold down the river

No More Rum .

May God Forgive them.

Nutty

Dependent on your sytem you may need to enlarge it.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Wonder what happened to the beer fund money.

3. A wonderful piece of RN history. Thanks for sharing it mate.

SF

4. Need to get the DCI for the last lines.

Disposal of existing stocks -----who bought the stuff.

Mind you I did manage to have a few real tots in 1971/2 --on a
    RCT vessel --they still had the stuff--wicker work jars 1 gallon for tots
    issue after 'hard graft ' operations.

:nemo: :nemo:

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I was based in Royal Clarence Yard in '93-'95 before they sold it off for real estate development, and I recall a staff memo going around for personnel willing to purchase (for a small charitable donation) a quantity of Admiralty rum that had been found in an old store on site and to be 'disposed of' prior to the land sale...

...a small quantity came into my possession (but didn't last long!) :wink:

6. If I am reading this correctly, Senior Rates were still able to buy a dailly allowance of spirits. This kind of shoots down the argument for abolition of the free issue on operational and safety grounds. Seems more like a money saving idea to me.

7. Never had spirits at sea --only used them in harbour . It was DF and three nips at a really silly price. Made the evenings go a bit better!!

:nemo: :nemo:

8. I was there for the last tot in Gib was it 1970 I may be out on the date.Anyway it was 2 in 1 but by the time I scuppered it it was more like 6 in 1 wiff me tears.So wot you lads got left just bum I take there's no backy.

9. Contributor Mode

Jack 77

You are correct, many Wardroom and Senior rates messes kept drinking into the 70's. 50 crates of beer between 70 people on an O boat did not last many nights.

Greenie

So all these Officers and Senior Rates suddenly have no Operational duties or responsibility to operate or supervise high tech weapons and equipment when in harbour or short refit but AB/Stoker/Greenie Bloggs is responsible as soon as the first mooring line goes over. "yer aving a larf ain't yer.

They wanted to get rid because it cost time and money to provide and supervise each day and go fuck the only tradition and social occasion the Junior Rates had.

If the reason given was correct then it is logical that the Navy should have gone dry in 1970.

Nutty

10. Having been around at the time if cost saving was the objective it was very well hidden, after all the money actually used to buy the rum was put into the 'Tot Fund' and used to provide sporting facilities and equipment.

I do agree however that it was a lost opportunity to move to a more sensible and egalitarian atitude to alcohol within the service that once lost is probably lost forever. From remebering the many discussion held in wardrooms at the time, many officers were both aganst the loss of the tot and for a more adult attitude to drink in general. Whilst I didn't agree at the time it was probably time for the tot to go but it's demise should have heralded adult treatment on alcohol for all.

11. God might, but I doubt many jacks of that era would.. !!

:(

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It would be interesting to know who benefits/benefited from the Tot Fund, my money would be on the Wardroom and SR's having a large slice, dispite keeping/gaining their priviliges.

13. I certainly can't speak for now, but in our day a fair bit went on things like strips for ships sports teams ships team travel etc and the provision of sports facilities at various bases. I never heard of any going to support either wardroon or senior rates only activities, though that of course does not mean it didn't ahppen though at the time I am sure one of the tests was whether whatever was being purchased could be used by all.

14. I'm amazed it was relayed as a Routine signal. Surely it should have been Flash!

Thanks for that Nutty. I will make sure it's passed on to the right people. ;)

15. The United States Navy stopped tot on 1st September 1862. Needless to say they had already prepared a song of farewell which was sung throughout the fleet on the 31st August.

Come, messmates, pass the bottle 'round
    Our time is short, remember,
    For our grog must stop,
    And our spirits drop,
    On the first day of September.
    For tonight we'll merry, merry be,
    Tomorrow we'll be sober.

Farewell old rye, 'tis a sad, sad word
    But alas! it must be spoken,
    The ruby cup must be given up,
    And the demijohn be broken.
    Tomorrow we'll be sober.

Jack's happy days will soon be gone,
    To return again, oh never!
    For they've raised his pay five cents a day,
    But stopped his grog forever.
    Tomorrow we'll be sober.

Yet memory oft' will backward turn,
    And dwell with fondness partial,
    On the days when gin was not a sin,
    Nor cocktails brought courts-martial.
    Tomorrow we'll be sober.

All hands to splice the main brace, call,
    But splice it now in sorrow
    For the spirit-room key will be laid away
    Forever, on tomorrow.
    Tomorrow we'll be sober.

RM

16. janner

My point was that it should have been used exclusivly for the JR's they being the only ones that dipped out completely in the deal.

17. [quote="janner]It would be interesting to know who benefits/benefited from the Tot Fund, my money would be on the Wardroom and SR's having a large slice, dispite keeping/gaining their priviliges.[/quote]

You'd lose your bet. According to this page about the 'Tot Fund' on the RN website:

18. I remember reading it when it was issued ....... very sad day

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...remember reading about it when it was relevant... :roll: :lol:

20. janner

Its still relevant, part of RN history