No RN ship in at the London Boat Show this year

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Jan 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For the first time in a while, there will be no RN ship coming in to the London Boat Show.

HMS Westminster came in last year, HMS Exeter the year before, but, this year, there is nothing available.

There should be a RN presence in the display hall, though.

2. The boat show is the future Navy with a vast array of Sunseeker, Carver and Bayline yachts on show.

3. There was scheduled to be a destroyer in this year, but due to operational requirements..(Another 7 month deployment, hence needing about 8 months to fix her after the last one)..she had to be pulled!

Shame really!

4. Maybe someone will now actually notice how hard times are. Perhaps Cowes guard ship could be gapped again.

5. Soleil. Any idea where I can get a cheap ticket for the 8th and/or what the "RN Presence" will be?

6. I'll get back to you on this on Monday.

7. Thanks, but don't worry about it if it's a problem. I'm sure I'll live. :thumright:

8. Will do what I can.

Was going to meet you for coffee next week anyway.

9. Cheers Soleil :)

10. tickets for troops were doing a pair of tickets for a pound a while back. Great site with ballots for premiership football matches and concert tickets too (NOT SPAM DONT KILL ME PLEASE)

11. Cheers powder!

12. Maybe MOD will make up one of them AIRFIX models of Lusty and park it alongside the EXCEL Centre?

13. Alternatively if you go down to the exhibitor's entrance on the jetty and flash your RN ID card / MOD 90 etc. kick up a little stink and say you are with the RN display, the poorly paid Eastern European security guard will let you in for free as well.

14. This is interesting. The Navy is, publicly, too hard up to send a ship to the Boat Show and the main point of interest is how to get gash tickets.

Funny old world.

15. We've all known the Navy is hard up for ages, it's fairly predictable that they would have to make cuts like this eventually.

Saving 15 odd quid to go and look at shiny yachts though, now that catches my interest! :D

16. Zoidberg

Are you going to the show?

17. 'Fraid not. It looks like I may have to get a different train or coach to York because of the weather, so I can't really afford it.

18. Which day are you heading north?