No postings for Crabs.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I've recently heard that in order to save money providing SFA, the crabs have stopped posting their troops in the hope that they will settle down in one area and buy their own home. Thoughts?

The good think for them is they have a few areas where the bases are clustered, around Lincoln for example, I know a few who live in Stamford still (Post Cott/Witt) and commute to Scampton, Waddington, Conningby and Cranwell.

Obviously we have Pompey, Guzz and Faslane for all and VL or CU for the Woo's. I suppose people will be looking at Kings Lynn (still pretty cheap as its a hole) for Marham and JSF.

ElQuesoGrande

Lantern Swinger
The RN already have a far higher percentage of home ownership than the other services.

Due to the nature of being away at sea for extended periods etc and in order for families to have support, we have many more personnel owning and living in houses away from base port areas and 'weekend warrioring'.

Matt247

Badgeman
Lincolnshire housing has been relatively cheap for years and mostly decent quality.....there is a real long term push to dump accomdation for anything other than training establishments. Its a long term stealth move....
Make it unattractive
Poorly maintained
Not walking distance
Therefore more and more will but their own. Its part of your T&Cs and if they can get rid of it over a period of time...no need to pay staff extra to compensate....no need to maintain a housing stock.....WIN WIN for the government.....

Lincolnshire housing has been relatively cheap for years and mostly decent quality.....there is a real long term push to dump accomdation for anything other than training establishments. Its a long term stealth move....
Make it unattractive
Poorly maintained
Not walking distance
Therefore more and more will but their own. Its part of your T&Cs and if they can get rid of it over a period of time...no need to pay staff extra to compensate....no need to maintain a housing stock.....WIN WIN for the government.....
Or, you know, let people live in their own houses and prepare them for life after the mob.

I presume you filled in the FAM survey?

Matt247

Badgeman
Are they going to pay a housing allowance to those in the Armed Forces based in more expensive areas..eg South East? As alot of the RAF are bases in Lincolnshire should they be paid less? Are we going have local recruitment? Experience from the Prison Service has left then with serious staff shortages in the South East

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've recently heard that in order to save money providing SFA, the crabs have stopped posting their troops in the hope that they will settle down in one area and buy their own home. Thoughts?
That's different to what I've been told by a Crab 1*; they generally do longer tours than us (us to 5 years easily) and they obviously don't deploy in the same way as us either so they're trying to create even less churn, promote hubbing and stability and then build goodwill that will allow them to be selected for out of area tours (LFS up to 18m) without as much resistance as they get now. SFA wasn't mentioned as a factor, and I'm not sure that comes of the sS budget either?

Are they going to pay a housing allowance to those in the Armed Forces based in more expensive areas..eg South East? As alot of the RAF are bases in Lincolnshire should they be paid less? Are we going have local recruitment? Experience from the Prison Service has left then with serious staff shortages in the South East
Yes, no, no.

I take it you're outside?

Matt247

Badgeman
  • Recent government policy has been to reduce costs across the public sector....some justified....some pure dogma. Any opportunity to reduce the pay bill and allowances will be eagarly jumped at. As the Armed Forces are not currently engaged in any high profile war fighting they see a chance to cut......

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That's different to what I've been told by a Crab 1*; they generally do longer tours than us (us to 5 years easily) and they obviously don't deploy in the same way as us either so they're trying to create even less churn, promote hubbing and stability and then build goodwill that will allow them to be selected for out of area tours (LFS up to 18m) without as much resistance as they get now. SFA wasn't mentioned as a factor, and I'm not sure that comes of the sS budget either?
My brother's an ex crab, his wife still is. She asked to get posted to 'Somewhere in Cornwall'from 'Somewhere outside London. She was told that unless she can find someone to swop with, she remains where she is. Period.

Ballistic

War Hero
My brother's an ex crab, his wife still is. She asked to get posted to 'Somewhere in Cornwall'from 'Somewhere outside London. She was told that unless she can find someone to swop with, she remains where she is. Full stop.
Fixed.
Because this isn't America :p ;)

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
My brother's an ex crab, his wife still is. She asked to get posted to 'Somewhere in Cornwall'from 'Somewhere outside London. She was told that unless she can find someone to swop with, she remains where she is. Period.
I'm going to assume that's because there are very few RAF posts in Cornwall and all posts are full, so unless she can negotiate a swap draft and ensure there are no gaps it's not achievable.

Their system doesn't help manners in that it's not frowned upon to get into a post decide you don't like it/can't do it and then request to be moved on.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Their system doesn't help manners in that it's not frowned upon to get into a post decide you don't like it/can't do it and then request to be moved on.
It's not that she doesn't like it per se. She's been there 5 years and wants to move on. But I bow to your superior knowledge, again.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's not that she doesn't like it per se. She's been there 5 years and wants to move on. But I bow to your superior knowledge, again.
My point remains, if they haven't got many jobs in Cornwall (And on balance they haven't) it's supply vs demand.

The second point above was not explicitly linked to the first.

My knowledge of their manning comes from 3 years of having 25+ crabletts work for me, and working with their TG Manning authority quite a lot. (TG22 And TG4).

My point remains, if they haven't got many jobs in Cornwall (And on balance they haven't) it's supply vs demand.

The second point above was not explicitly linked to the first.

My knowledge of their manning comes from 3 years of having 25+ crabletts work for me, and working with their TG Manning authority quite a lot. (TG22 And TG4).
Lucky you :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Bases / Shore Est 14
P Finance & Pensions 19
nufc70 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5