No 'Phoney War' for the Royal Navy

These Naval events have probably already been labelled as side-shows by Generals Guthrie and Dannatt. No doubt, totally irrelevant to the Anzio and Normandy landings.

This morning, a memorial service was held in Kirkwall's St Magnus Cathedral to mark the torpedoing of the battleship HMS Royal Oak by U-47 at Scapa Flow on Saturday 14 October 1939 with the loss of 833 lives. On Wednesday, the 70th anniversary of her sinking, HRH The Princess Royal is expected to lay a wreath on the water where the Royal Oak sank below the waves. The Sandown Class minehunter HMS Penzance will sail to the site of the wreck for the ceremony: BBC News: A dark chapter of war remembered.

In June this year, professional underwater photographer Simon Brown was invited by the Royal Navy to photograph and document HMS Royal Oak. Simon has donated the use of this image to the Royal Oak Survivors Association and a limited number of prints will be signed by some of the remaining survivors. All proceeds of the sale will be used by the Royal Oak Survivors Association to help fund the building of a permanent memorial to their comrades in Scapa Bay. Only 10 signed prints, each A1 in size and printed on archival paper, will be offered to the general public and available from 14 October timed to coincide with the 70th anniversary of the sinking. See www.simonbrownimages.com/html/hmsroyaloak.html for more details.

dododoris

Midshipman
To all those who attended the 70th anniversary of the defusing of Hitlers Secret Weapon, and indeed honouring my grandfather, Cdr John Ouvry - Thankyou!!!
Special thanks to Noel Cashford,Rob Hoole, Brad King, John Harrison, and the countless others who helped make this such a special memorial by attending, not just for my dear grandfather but for the history of the clearance divers past and present.
It was any incredibly humbling, emotional, educational and 'proud' event!!
On behalf of the Ouvry dependants - thankyou for continuing his legacy!

dododoris said:
To all those who attended the 70th anniversary of the defusing of Hitlers Secret Weapon, and indeed honouring my grandfather, Cdr John Ouvry - Thankyou!!!
Special thanks to Noel Cashford,Rob Hoole, Brad King, John Harrison, and the countless others who helped make this such a special memorial by attending, not just for my dear grandfather but for the history of the clearance divers past and present.
It was any incredibly humbling, emotional, educational and 'proud' event!!
On behalf of the Ouvry dependants - thankyou for continuing his legacy!

An illustrated account of this cracking event is available in the entry for 27 Nov 09 on the 'Latest News' page of the Minewarfare & Clearance Diving Officers' Association (MCDOA) website.

I'm resurrecting this thread because tomorrow marks the 80th anniversary of Britain declaring war on Germany at the start of the Second World War. Despite what may be said in the media during the months leading up to the anniversaries of the start of the Battle of France in May 1940, Dunkirk in Jun 1940 and the Battle of Britain in Sep 1940, there was no 'Phoney War' for the Royal Navy; it was all too real.

P.S. I include the brave sailors of the Merchant Navy in this tribute. They suffered terrible losses and when all’s said and done, their efforts to keep Britain fed, fuelled, armed and equipped were what it was all about.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
P.S. I include the brave sailors of the Merchant Navy in this tribute. They suffered terrible losses and when all’s said and done, their efforts to keep Britain fed, fuelled, armed and equipped were what it was all about.
My paternal Grandad was MN in WW2, he served on tankers and had two ships blown out of the water by u-boats, he obviously survived both times.

huwshpis

War Hero
I shall be at the service at the MN memorial on Tower Hill on Sunday 8 September. One fireman from one of my father’s ships is commemorated there.