No more waivers for unspent convictions?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mikko, Mar 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the outset of my application with the RN I made the recruiters aware that I had a criminal record from a drink drive ban in 2006. I had been told it is quite common to apply for a waiver after the interview, and providing you had sufficiently impressed it was likely to be granted.

I took my PJFT test in Feburary and after some preparation phoned today to arrange my interview.

I hadn't spoke to the guy who picked up the phone before, it wasn't the PO I had been dealing with, but I was told all application processes were now stopped for those with unspent convictions for all branches except the RM

Does anyone know if this is true? Possibly something that has happened fiarly recently?

Thanks

2. Possible answer.
    The economic downturn has seen a huge increase in applications to join the Armed Forces, those with any issues in their lives that in the past would have been accepted may now find themselves not so welcome.
    Standby for the good news from Ninja Stoker or SuperMario.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To put things into perspective, a criminal conviction waiver is by no means a right, is not something you should request, is only considered for exceptional candidates in exceptional circumstances after a proportion of the rehab period has elapsed (not routinely) & even if the person is so exceptional to be considered, is not guaranteed. In the last six years, out of literally hundreds of applicants I've considered many, applied for two, and had one granted.

Whether the recruiting policy has changed or not, the offence hasn't, the penalties haven't & nor has the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

Drink drive in itself is classed as a serious motoring offence which results in an automatic ban. Other serious motoring offences include no insurance, no licence., etc. If the offence includes a fine, then 5 years rehabilitation applies (if over 18 upon date of conviction). If there are other offences in addition at the time of the Drink Drive conviction, then obviously the odds of consideration diminish logarithmically.

Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly, a convicted criminal is treading on very thin ice when it comes to claiming their "rights" & would tend to elicit little sympathy from many.

4. Double Standards !!!!!!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Sextuple exclamation marks!

Recruiting is driven by market forces. When we're in dire straits, we invoke conscription to fill the billets, when struggling we offer financial incentives to join & to stay, when numbers are bouyant we employ merit-based selection: The better the candidate, the better the chance of employment.

There's no change in policy, just the application of common sense.

6. Which is double standards no matter which wat you look at it

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'd probably be turned down for joining in his day and age, I went on a drunken rampage about 6 weeks before I joined and ended up in the cells for the night, not a bad effort really for a 16 year old young thruster. Just think of the heartache the Corps would of missed out on. :lol:

8. Ninja_Stoker

As Blobbs has stated above, times change.

Years ago, if the stories are to be believed, we used to target inebriated drunkards & petty criminals, kept them drunk with a daily tot & flogged them when necessary also, but standards change. I'd even go so far as to state they aren't double standards, but are multiple standards.

Years ago matelots wore a gold earring to cover the cost of their burial. Today we have the RNDF & earrings (for blokes) are barred, but not for women.

9. Awesome word 8)

Is this the case at the moment then?

10. Ninja_Stoker

It is for Officers - the higher the AIB score, the better the chance of making the cut. The irony here is that we're 40% down on Officer applicants in some trades, so for some if you just pass AIB "you're in".

The RAF used to use merit based selection - the better the personal qualities score, the quicker the entry. We use the same selection paperwork but use a pass/fail threshold, ie those that score over a certain mark are put forward, those that don't aren't. It would be extremely easy to simply allocate places on a points basis, but we don't at present.

A person with an unspent criminal conviction will naturally score lower on some elements assessed under personal qualities.

11. Ninja, which officer branches in particular are down on applications?

12. Ninja_Stoker

Royal Marines primarily but Engineers & Warfairies, particularly in the submarine trades.

13. In the Arned Forces?????? Shurely shome mishtake? :roll:

14. I know about engineers but i thought every man and his dog wanted to be warfare?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Every man & his dog want s to be Warfare (Aircrew) but significantly less wish to be Warfare (Submariner)

16. Thanks for the help guys, I was told this is national policy now for the navy (also the army and raf). Is this incorrect?

thanks

17. Ninja_Stoker

The RAF are recruiting sporadically in very limited numbers, opening specific trades to recruitment as required.

The Army, so far as I'm aware are recruiting in all trades.

With regards who will consider granting waivers of the Rehabilitation Period for convicted criminals with unspent offences, can only be advised by the relevant service experts.

18. Thanks Ninja, I was told by my afco that for the navy they were no longer processing any applications for anyone with unspent convictions.

Is this not a nationwide policy then?

It's just frustrating that after passing my pjft and calling to arrange my interview I'm told this. I'm not looking for sympathy but previously they had said I could apply for a waiver.

Although the wait for AET has gone up i'll have to wait 3 months following this for my conviction to be "spent"

19. Stop whining, you're lucky to be able to apply full stop. I abhor drunk drivers, the only thing you people should be able to apply for is a bus pass :evil:

20. +1