No More Hotbunking?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by creddly, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst doing some research to increase the chances of my (hopefully) future career - I've just found out that the new Astute-class Submarines will have a bunk for each Submariner!

Just wondering how that will affect the 6-on-6-off rota!? :???:

2. Son, even in Polaris every man had his own bunk albeit so small.
    hot bunkin was rare, but occassional, just watch out that you turn your bunk light & punka louva off Electricity & fresh air COSTS.

3. Poor Creddly...he's been looking forward to returning to a pre-warmed bunk, and now PHJ you've shattered his dreams (or delusions!) :wink: :grin:

4. The number of bunks has nothing to do with the watchkeeping system.
    What's this about 6on 6off anyway...Reverse West Country Offside (or whatever it was called) was great....Forenoon, First, Afternoon, Middle, Dogs, Morning, Long off.

5. Creddy

Hot bunking has not been the norm in the RN certainly on D/E T's P and O's probally A's and certainly the first nukes. Hot bunking only took place when carrying passengers i.e. training class, boffins, SBS etc. When only the crew was on board I never hot bunked on at least 7 boats including spare crew pier head jumps.

Nutty

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Bob, it was 'cos you were never skin, Derek tells me that He always hot bunked even alongside at Blockhouse :shock: :shock:

7. Course he is telling porkies we all lived above the Galley in Dolphin, (Vulcan Block was it) except the RA's who fecked off home every night leaving us victualed men to do their duties. Perhaps thats why I was always pissed the first few days at sea getting all my debts for duties collected.

[​IMG]

NOW THATS SKIN

Nutty

8. janner

Sparkers lived in the Stables, some still had the fecking hay racks in, I reckon a barn would have been warmer.

9. When I say we all lived above the Galley that was J/R of boats crews, each boat had its own mess for all Victulled J/Rs. Ships company, spare crew and people on course lived in other hovels about the Fort.

Nutty

10. I prefer 6 on 12 off myself, haven’t worked 1 in 2 since I was a diesel weasel. :razz:

11. Lol well Wikipedia made it sound as though 'Hot-Bunking' was commonplace!

I also gathered that the 6-on-6-off was the absolute one and only work pattern.

Can somebody please correct my naive, erroneous-information-gathering mind?

12. Depends what you do and what class of boat you join. There isn’t normally any hot bunking on a V boat. Front cnuts often work 1 in 2 but normally with stand offs, ballast tend to work 1 in 3 and bin bags 1 in 4 or more.

:cool:

13. Always worked 6on 6off on Valiant's and 'T's, different on P&O's but
    not applicable these days. As for Back-afties.....seen them wander
    up to the Coxwains Office (at sea) on a Friday Afternoon and put in a request form for a LWE - then disappear into the bunkspace until
    Monday!

14. I was under the impression that bombers are 12 on / 12 off ?

15. janner

:lol:
    Seems to be a lot of you missing in this pic :lol: :lol:

16. Nope, unless things have changed in the last few months? Unless you’re on about alongside SWS with only two watches?

17. Half the bunks will be empty!!!!!

Pol

18. Now now Janner they are extension built on over the years as the extent of my social life increased and extra space was required.

Nutty

19. I should have thought if you're skin Creddly, the only question will be how many hairy-arsed Stokers can you prevent from wanting to hot bunk with you! :grin: I can visualize it now... a Mess with several unoccupied bunks and just one over-occupied bunk! :wink: :lol:

Nutty.... why are the sleeves of your T-shirt so long in that piccy... and where's your beard?! :cool: :shock: :smile:

Steve.

20. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:

I must remember that excuse! :wink: :cool: