No Intelligence Officer role? Why?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by FAAWanabee, Apr 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening guys, searching around for a third career choice should my medical results not be up to scratch for both Pilot/Observer (same requirements) I was always interested in the RAF and Army's Intelligence roles, however, from subsequent searches there isn't one for the Navy besides a sub-category of Warfare Officer or as a Reserve. My question is why isn't there a dedicated Intel role (I though movement of any ships and such would be a full time job), and is there any way to join doing an intelligence based role within another upon joining, because I don't really want to stop my Navy application (should I have to) and move it to the RAF.
    Thanks, Jordan.

2. Because that's how the RN does Intelligence.

Is it right? Not really.
    Will you change it? No.
    If you want a guarantee you'll be an Intelligence Officer, you should join the RAF or Army.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fair enough! Just thought it was a bit odd, and there may be a specific reason behind it. Just (if I had to) didn't want stop my Navy application because of it.

4. There is a dedicated into role it's the same as pilot in that its a warfare officer role not a separate branch. An oppo of mine has just joined it and is now flying UAVs off the back of a frigate.

It was like that when I found it chief

5. Whoa, that's pretty cool! Didn't even realise the Navy was involved in things like that! Also, I wasn't aware roles like Pilot were Warfare Officer role, I just though it was classified as a Warfare involved role.

6. Inrtelligence officer is not a direct entry branch. They are normally selected from those who have managed to complete the splash target cox'n course who have completed at least 10 missions. A few Officer stewards are also been known to make the grade but only those who have never been caught adulterating the spirits.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The way I've always looked at it, bearing in mind we don't recruit intelligence officers directly so this is an opinion not fact, is the reason behind the fact the Navy doesn't recruit them directly fs simply because they need service Warfare experience over non-vocational qualifications.

Whilst the information has to be analysed and interpreted, if one looks at the Army, they are on the ground, so logically their area of experise will be centred around gathering info in their area of expertise - Human Int, hiding under floorboards etc. (An area of overlap with the Royal Marines with 30 Commando Information Exploitation Group - the bit Ian Flemming worked in). The RAF logically gather data from the air (an area of overlap with with the FAA and of course with the introduction of UAVs operating offshore).

The RN method of gathering intelligence already covers the other two and by nature of their operations the data is gathered by submarines, ships and aircraft. The electronic warfare (jammin', as Bob would say and/or spoofing) is undertaken by the Warfare branch and the gathering of communications data by dedicated comms techs who are highly trained intelligence ratings that interpret the information (as they did in Bletchley Park many moons ago) to give the Warfare Officer the edge in combat operations. The compilation and exploitation of the intelligence therefore, needs Warfare experience, not an irrelevant degree.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Int, for a brief period, could be joined by any branch. But much like non-Logs Barristers, it was hard to construct a 'meaningful' career path for non-Warfare Int Officers.

Again, is it right? Probably not.
    Could you do something about it? A very very slim chance. I wouldn't construct a career plan around it, put it that way.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Can I just say that the whole 'STC Coxn' thing was funny a very long time ago, but personally I am getting very bored and tired of reading old lags who think they are funny crayonning across threads for new joiners with their 'in joke' which is neither new, funny or helpful. Am I the only person who thinks that the STC coxn is seriously past it's sell by date?

• Like Like x 2
  10. It's utter bollocks. It's not even funny.

Monkey culling is a serious business mind.

11. No I reckon it's past its sell by date too, however it is now an RR tradition :pissedoff: used when the newbie question is either stupid or dumb

12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

As original post was neither dumb nor stupid, I suggest you rethink your last...

13. Maybe a name change to RAFWannabe?

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

14. @Joint_Force_Harrier As I said, the RAF isn't my first choice, I'm just looking at my options and though you guys could give me some info on Navy Intelligence, which you have. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

STC-as funny as the heads being out of bounds for cleaning the morning after a curry run. Moreover, it's been done so often the 'dumb' or 'stupid' -is there a difference- newbie never stays excited and ignorant for long.

16. I believe that the OPs questions have been correctly and politely answered by or resident experts.
    Perhaps if he wants more definitive answers a trip to his local recruiting office may be of help

• Like Like x 1
  17. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Historically that was true, looking ahead I think you may see that change, how much is open to debate. This year there was significant emphasis on promoting and growing the INT cadre. They've seen a large number of people transfer in from the Int Corps and RAF Int Branch as the value of the cadre is recognised.

They may not grow 2-4* as a matter of course but there is nothing stopping a meaningful career, reach to SO1 and OF5 is very realistic I would suggest.

All depends if you aspire to be one of the very few to command a vessel or have a different career, but in many ways INT is no longer seen as the failed PWO option.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Funnily enough my SO1 boss, without disclosing too much to reveal his ID, managed both in the world of Naval Intelligence. Top man, mind you I have to say that when discussing spooks on social media.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Not that this has anything to do with the OP's question, but I think you are right. There will be increasing areas where previously the failed PWO cadre have gone to die and now will become meaningful career options I their own right. I'm thinking specifically of Defence Engagement/Attaches.

But right now, don't join with an expectation of that becoming the case.

20. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Just a wider view to inform a little......