Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No idea which to choose out of these trades!!

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
Hi People

I'm new to all this so bear with me. Sorry if it gets a bit long!

It might be easier if i start with what i am looking for:
I was looking to join as an officer but have found out i am too old (26) for all apart from Logistics which i don't think i would enjoy so i've decided to look at joining as a rating. I'm looking for something mentally engaging, with good promotion prospects, that also gives me the opportunity to travel as much as possible.

I've just been for my first talk at the AFCO and went there thinking i had narrowed it down to three trades: AET, Warfare and Meteorologist.

The woman was really helpful and together we ruled out Warfare specialist but she also threw Air Traffic Control into the mix. Now i am completely torn between the three.

AET because it looks enjoyable and i'm under the impression the is the possibility of becoming a pilot or someone else who flies? I think there is also a fair amount of travelling but maybe not that much?

Meteorologist appeals to the scientist in me (i did a year of Maths an Physics at university) and may give me the chance to travel extensively including Antarctica! I also like the type of jobs it could lead to if i decide to get a civilian job (marine biology, environmental type jobs). Nobody seems to know much about this option!!

Air Traffic Controller I think would also be challenging and interesting. I'm not too sure if there would be enough travelling though. A big plus with this option is i would go straight in as leading.

I am not sure what the promotion opportunities are like for any of the options the AFCO said they are all pretty much the same in that sense but maybe someone knows differently?

Any advice anyone has that may help me at least lean one way or the other would be great!

Thanks a lot if you got this far!
 

Mitchel

Midshipman
I'll give you some advice, try believing what people, who know what they are talking about, tell you.

If the AFCO tell you something with regards to pay/conditions/promotion then its probably true, they are paid to give you the best advice available at the time, why would they lie???

what are you talking about he didnt say they where lieing.
 

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
Don't get me wrong.

She was really helpful. She just didn't go into that much detail on that particular aspect. I was going to ask more about it but we talked about so much else that i forgot to go back to it.

My fault I guess.
 

TimeToJoinUp

War Hero
Other options available to you are:

Go back to uni and do the 2 years you missed, taking you to 28 years old. This will open up the E(TM) officer role for you.

Re-apply for uni to do engineering. This will take you up 29 (although you might be able to do a credit transfer with the uni to finished quicker).

This will open up all the engineering routes except E(IS), but you could always go and do a computing degree ;)

I don't know if the RN do sponsorship for people your (also my) age, but it'd be worth looking into because it'd mean you wouldn't have to do the application process after you had graduated.

What ever you choose, good luck!
 

soleil

War Hero
Welcome Grizzly!

There are two Royal Navy AFCO Careers Advisors who contribute to this forum - I'm sure that one of them will be around at some point to give you some advice on this.
 

Waspie

War Hero
Welcome Grizzly.

At 26 YO I think you'll find you are too old for any aircrew role. As you found 26 is the max age for officer so that will rule out Pilot and Observer. 26 is also the max age for branch transferring to Aircrewman, you have to have qualified for Leading Rate to transfer.

AET can be enjoyable.

Meteorology too if you have a bent for Above water and under water weather, (As I like to call Oceanography).

Cannot comment on your other choice as I have no experience.

Good luck on your future.
 

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
TimeToJoinUp said:
Other options available to you are:

Go back to uni and do the 2 years you missed, taking you to 28 years old. This will open up the E(TM) officer role for you.

Re-apply for uni to do engineering. This will take you up 29 (although you might be able to do a credit transfer with the uni to finished quicker).

This will open up all the engineering routes except E(IS), but you could always go and do a computing degree ;)

I don't know if the RN do sponsorship for people your (also my) age, but it'd be worth looking into because it'd mean you wouldn't have to do the application process after you had graduated.

What ever you choose, good luck!

I did think seriously about going back to uni to open up those options but decided i didnt really want to go back to the uni life. Apart from being a skint student again, it would feel like a step backwards. I'm sure others would feel quite differently to me in my situation, but joining the navy feels like a more positive step for me.

I did struggle with that long and hard tho! :)
 

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
soleil said:
Welcome Grizzly!

There are two Royal Navy AFCO Careers Advisors who contribute to this forum - I'm sure that one of them will be around at some point to give you some advice on this.

Thanks soleil.

I'll look forward to it. :)
 

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
Waspie said:
Welcome Grizzly.

At 26 YO I think you'll find you are too old for any aircrew role. As you found 26 is the max age for officer so that will rule out Pilot and Observer. 26 is also the max age for branch transferring to Aircrewman, you have to have qualified for Leading Rate to transfer.

AET can be enjoyable.

Meteorology too if you have a bent for Above water and under water weather, (As I like to call Oceanography).

Cannot comment on your other choice as I have no experience.

Good luck on your future.

Thanks Waspie.

Sounds like any flying job is out then :(

AET does seem enjoyable. Any idea on what the prospects are for promotion? Are there any commisioned roles it could lead to?

Do you know much about the Hydro.. Meteor.. Ocean.. (is there an abbreviation?) Do any of them post on here? I'm finding it hard to find much info about it. I read somewhere that most of the travelling they do doesn't involve stopping in many ports. Any ideas where they might travel to or their promotion prospects.

Don't mean to sound obsessed with promotion! Just trying to get as much info as possible.
 

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
Soleil

I had already read those pages but thanks anyway.

I was just looking for some further info.

I suppose i'd just like to know about the amount of travelling - the more the better. But i read somewhere on here that the type of ships i'll be on rarely stop at ports? The AFCO said that they do some travelling around the UK monitoring fisheries. Is that one of their main roles or do they spend more time further afield?

It seems to be quite a specialist field so i was wondering what kind of route i may take as i progress?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make as informed a choice as possible.

Thanks for all the responses so far!
 

captainobvious

Lantern Swinger
GrizzlyRibs said:
AET because it looks enjoyable and i'm under the impression the is the possibility of becoming a pilot or someone else who flies? I think there is also a fair amount of travelling but maybe not that much?

Meteorologist appeals to the scientist in me (i did a year of Maths an Physics at university) and may give me the chance to travel extensively including Antarctica! I also like the type of jobs it could lead to if i decide to get a civilian job (marine biology, environmental type jobs). Nobody seems to know much about this option!!

Air Traffic Controller I think would also be challenging and interesting. I'm not too sure if there would be enough travelling though. A big plus with this option is i would go straight in as leading.
Hello Grizzly, hopefully I can clear up a couple of misconceptions you seem to have picked up along the way.

As an AET joining up at 26 you're never going to be commissioned aircrew, sounds harsh but that's just the way it is, by the time you're rated AB1 you'll be knocking on 28 at least. AET isn't one of the big traveling trades either, there are trips to be had, but if you want to see the world ASAP pick a general service trade.

WS(HM) will probably not appeal to the scientist in you too much for a long old while, as an AB WS(HM) your main role will be to perform weather observations and log information, you won't be Michael Fish any time soon.

And now for my specialist subject...
As a NA(AC) (or Aircraft Controller, not Air Traffic Controller, which is a different job) you'll have plenty of opportunity to travel, every ship with a flight embarked needs a controller and the RN is hugely short of ACs at all rates presently, you're guaranteed sea jobs.

However, you will not go straight in as a Leading Aircraft Controller, this has never been the case and never will be. You're looking at 2.5 years ish to get promoted as an AC (still much quicker than any of the other trades you've mentioned).

After completing phase one and 2 training you'll have to spend 1 year at a typed air station (RNAS Culdrose or RNAS Yeovilton) as an Air Traffic Assistant then you'll go to the RNSAC (RN School of Aircraft Control) to take a short non-tactical control course and you'll be drafted to a ship's company for a year as an AB. On completion of your year as ship's company you'll be sent back to Yeovilton to take the Leading AC's course, on completion of the course (it lasts 7 months presently, though may be shortened marginally) you'll be promoted to Leading Hand.

Hope that's cleared a few bits up for you, good luck with your application.
 

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
captainobvious said:
GrizzlyRibs said:
AET because it looks enjoyable and i'm under the impression the is the possibility of becoming a pilot or someone else who flies? I think there is also a fair amount of travelling but maybe not that much?

Meteorologist appeals to the scientist in me (i did a year of Maths an Physics at university) and may give me the chance to travel extensively including Antarctica! I also like the type of jobs it could lead to if i decide to get a civilian job (marine biology, environmental type jobs). Nobody seems to know much about this option!!

Air Traffic Controller I think would also be challenging and interesting. I'm not too sure if there would be enough travelling though. A big plus with this option is i would go straight in as leading.
Hello Grizzly, hopefully I can clear up a couple of misconceptions you seem to have picked up along the way.

As an AET joining up at 26 you're never going to be commissioned aircrew, sounds harsh but that's just the way it is, by the time you're rated AB1 you'll be knocking on 28 at least. AET isn't one of the big traveling trades either, there are trips to be had, but if you want to see the world ASAP pick a general service trade.

WS(HM) will probably not appeal to the scientist in you too much for a long old while, as an AB WS(HM) your main role will be to perform weather observations and log information, you won't be Michael Fish any time soon.

And now for my specialist subject...
As a NA(AC) (or Aircraft Controller, not Air Traffic Controller, which is a different job) you'll have plenty of opportunity to travel, every ship with a flight embarked needs a controller and the RN is hugely short of ACs at all rates presently, you're guaranteed sea jobs.

However, you will not go straight in as a Leading Aircraft Controller, this has never been the case and never will be. You're looking at 2.5 years ish to get promoted as an AC (still much quicker than any of the other trades you've mentioned).

After completing phase one and 2 training you'll have to spend 1 year at a typed air station (RNAS Culdrose or RNAS Yeovilton) as an Air Traffic Assistant then you'll go to the RNSAC (RN School of Aircraft Control) to take a short non-tactical control course and you'll be drafted to a ship's company for a year as an AB. On completion of your year as ship's company you'll be sent back to Yeovilton to take the Leading AC's course, on completion of the course (it lasts 7 months presently, though may be shortened marginally) you'll be promoted to Leading Hand.

Hope that's cleared a few bits up for you, good luck with your application.

Thanks for all that. Really helpful!

Kinda leaning away from AET now.

With AB WS(HM), i don't really mind being the dogsbody for a while if i have something more interesting to look forward to.

NA (AC) sounds really promising. Could you tell me anything about the job. There isn't anything on the website about it and when the AFCO told me about it she gave me the booklet for Air Traffic Control Officer and said it was similar but more junior. Is this correct?

She seemed quite sure about me going in as leading are you sure this is not the case?
 

GrizzlyRibs

Midshipman
Drakey said:
Griizzly.

Have you always been spoon fed ?

Thanks for your reply, really helpful!

I have been persistently searching this forum but haven't found the exact info i wanted so i decided to start a thread. I thought that was kinda the point of forums?
 

captainobvious

Lantern Swinger
Nicely done, as I'm an AC myself I'm 100% certain you won't be picking up your hooks (getting promoted to Leading Hand) straight away.

The info on the RN website at the moment seems to be based upon the experiences of a seagoing LAC, it's a little different as an AB but I enjoy it and I'm a grumpy fcuker who's never satisfied with anything, so it can't be that bad.
 
captainobvious said:
Nicely done, as I'm an AC myself I'm 100% certain you won't be picking up your hooks (getting promoted to Leading Hand) straight away.

The info on the RN website at the moment seems to be based upon the experiences of a seagoing LAC, it's a little different as an AB but I enjoy it and I'm a grumpy fcuker who's never satisfied with anything, so it can't be that bad.

I think I know who you are, and yes you are a grumpy fcuker. :wink:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
slim Smart Motorways, a good idea or a Stupid one? Current Affairs 25
MoD_RSS Take a game-changing idea to market: apply for an innovation loan MoD News 0
M Military kit bags, a good idea? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H Any idea for PRNC dates after passing fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MrIndeed Is it a good idea to have a 'girlfriend' or a 'wife' when in the Navy? Nearest & Dearest 28
B Any idea on this photograph - early 1900s? History 15
SONAR-BENDER Scottish idea of 5 day! Diamond Lil's 2
N App Idea Diamond Lil's 16
Rumrat Sgt Peppers brainstormingly good Idea. Diamond Lil's 5
M Getting married in rig - a good idea? Nearest & Dearest 23
C An idea to help out... Diamond Lil's 5
A A New Idea from Ford Blue Jokes 2
soleil The Register: "Trident Delay: Cunning Plan Or Bad Idea?" Submariners 1
tug1970 Idea's to beat being bored needed Diamond Lil's 44
S New idea for a charity event Charity 0
Rumrat A Idea to extend Naval Service The Gash Barge 3
Ja5on Sounds like a good idea Current Affairs 7
bikerman Seems like a good idea? The Gash Barge 1
21_Man Idea The Quarterdeck 7
theoldti This is not a bad idea......... The Quarterdeck 0
A I have an idea! The Quarterdeck 14
S Christmas Card idea for our wounded... Current Affairs 3
S A good idea for disposing of ex-RN warships...? The Fleet 13
Hitback Medical Discharge / War Pension Idea? Current Affairs 161
andym Mr Livingstones latest stupid idea! Diamond Lil's 17
bigbaddog dot.com millionaire idea? The Gash Barge 6
slim I hate speed camera's so why do I like this idea? Diamond Lil's 17
josiecats Some ones Idea Of a SICK Joke.. Site Issues 50
O The RAF. A good thing? Or someones idea of a joke? The Fleet Air Arm 46
Shakey My idea to reduce youth crime Current Affairs 30
S An idea for a new role for the RNR... Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
F A good Idea Charity 0
Clouseau Here's an Idea - MOD network forums Site Issues 17
Shakey web site idea? Diamond Lil's 4
Rincewind Spitballing - hows this for an idea chaps? Diamond Lil's 1
MoD_RSS On International Students Day, UK Immigration minister says to Pakistani scholars: Choose the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Choose your own Analysis Adventure MoD News 0
couper172 Passed RT with higher score, not sure what to role to choose Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl scientists inspire more women to choose STEM careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD choose The Royal British Legion to lead help for veterans MoD News 0
K i decided to choose Royal Navy Naval Airman The Fleet Air Arm 23
kosta433 not sure what to choose? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
stan_the_man If you had to have a disease what would you choose Diamond Lil's 59
soleil Mail: Gov Refuses To Axe Dickensian Rules Forcing Army Widows To Choose Love/Pension Finance & Pensions 28
L Do you choose your job? The Gash Barge 44
stan_the_man You can choose your friends but not your family Diamond Lil's 42
trelawney126 Dutch choose 2024 World Cup Team The Gash Barge 0
B Why Choose the Royal Marines? The Corps 16
whitemouse What nationality would you choose to be if...... Diamond Lil's 37
soleil Times: "Pirates choose wrong target - a French warship" International 13
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top