No 9s v ROPs

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've been thinking, which is never a good thing. :rolleyes:

Next door (ARRSE) has an alert device called ROPs for when somebody has been naughty, which restricts their input to the site and lets everyone else know that the poster has been a bad boy or girl. This alert appears under the poster's avatar.

In view of recent events on here with warnings being chucked around willy-nilly, people being banned out-right and hence not able to respond, etc, could we on RR have a similar set up? We could call it No 9s or Under Pun or something similarly catchy!

So far as I know, it would tell everyone else that the poster was in the poo and on the naughty step but the poster could still (I think) send PMs or have very limited access to the site.

Maybe somebody who is familiar with the ROPs procedure could enlighten us as to the practicalities of a similar system on here.

Do I sense a Herbert Lott looming?

D

Deleted 493

A large number would see that as a badge of honour :)
There is already the warning system where offenders are well aware of being in the shit

With recent events it seems that that wasn't enough for some. I think there was a belief they were 'too valuable to RR to ban'.

levers

Ballistic

War Hero
Didn't we once have a tag of "Oxygen Thief" for persistent offenders that was attached just below the avatar?

What seems strange to me in all of this is that a Moderator who is heavily involved in the thread and disagreement or whatever you care to call it can be judge and jury at the same time.

Levers will probably explain the process but I would have thought an independent moderator would be best summoned to calm this all down and issue warning notices, not someone deeply involved in it.

I do agree with Levers however that family and real world shit should not be brought into discussions on a banter and iron advisory site.

Real world shit like racism?
I am not condoning racism. I said banter, which is generally what takes place on this site in all its forms. Whether helpful piss taking for the newbie or wannabies or social comment on what is happening in parliament.

Read it again. I said that real world personal stuff has no place on here. Take the piss out of the avatar, not the real person and his family. My point still stands, if and was likely in the posts made that got the two banned had been racist then it would have been better they were given their marching orders by another mod, not the one involved in the heated argument, whether he was right or wrong.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I am not condoning racism. I said banter, which is generally what takes place on this site in all its forms. Whether helpful piss taking for the newbie or wannabies or social comment on what is happening in parliament.

Read it again. I said that real world personal stuff has no place on here. Take the piss out of the avatar, not the real person and his family. My point still stands, if and was likely in the posts made that got the two banned had been racist then it would have been better they were given their marching orders by another mod, not the one involved in the heated argument, whether he was right or wrong.
You misunderstand me. Very thinly veiled racist remarks was where it all started.

D

Deleted 493

The reason why warnings were issued was for repeatedly turning one thread into a shitfest against mods. There's form for this (check back) I told them to stop and deleting their posts wasn't enough. Warnings were issued. I don't know what else there is to do.

As for the real world stuff, there are odd clues to everyone's real life existences on these boards. From experience, it is pretty easy to amount a large collection of personal information on many posters and their private lives and stick it all up here for all to see. As much as you think you are anonymous, a few mouse clicks and there's a world of pretty incriminating stuff that can be brought to bear. In my humble, it's a ***** trick and the last refuge of someone devoid of any scruples and morals. It's particularly not good for serving members either, given the recent directives.

Finally, again in my humble, it's not a good image for a board with 'Navy Net - Royal Navy Community' stuck up at the top to be seen to have what could be interpreted as a lassez faire attitude to opinions which these days, aren't particularly well received by minorities and can be interpreted as representative of 'The Royal Navy'. We are big on Diversity and Inclusivity these days whether people outside of this think it's pink and fluffy or not, it is policy.

And finally, MCC has a point about my involvement. I have been unnecessarily outspoken in some areas, and have used language and names which, on reflection, could have been better put.

levers

Last edited by a moderator:

Stirlin

War Hero
Being brutally honest about oneself works for me , no incoming.....
sits back and thinks for a moment........still a MUP.

D

Deleted 493

I only thought a routine similar to ARRSE but with a nautical theme would be a good idea - honestly. :confused:
Just as a forethought, as much as those lovable rascals on ROMFT imagine themselves to be the haven for non-moderated, non-regulated, all-inclusive and very tolerant existence in a happy, friendly environment, I am happy to report that this is indeed laughable bollocks. It is possible to exclude contributors, as long as you whinge to the right admin and get people isolated. :)

Mission accomplished.

levers

D

Deleted 493

Bollocks, absolute rubbish, no one has ever been banned off ROMFT. If you are certain, name them.
It's not a 'banning'. It's their device to ensure you don't see any new posts and any posts you make don't get seen. There were some calling for my banning, though.

So ... 'moderation' then.

I'm so hurt. Broken.

levers