Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

No. 1BWs... build your own Bush Jacket?

TheRowan

Lantern Swinger
I've been trying to put together my Bush Jacket for 1BW... I think I've got all the buttons etc. on in the right place, but can't for the life of me work out what to do with the little brass hooky-bits (look like a piece of thick brass wire bent double on itself and the curved into a fish-hook shape). Can anyone tell me where I'm supposed to stick them? (If you'll pardon the expression :p)

Edit to add: This is officer's rig, in case it wasn't evident from the fact that I'm asking for help on how to dress myself...

At the side of the suit there is a hole. Take the hook thing and from the inside push the end through. The aim is to have the hook thing outside and able to support the white belt.

Hope that helps.

On the JR's kit the little hooky things you speak of, go at the bottom of the zip to keep the corners of the jacket together. My guess is that the hooky thing goes at the bottom like on the JR's jacket.

On Army and RM no1 tunics the hooky things are used to secure the collar which comes high up the neck:
5206361A-CD4F-7647-55E3A530E709C221.jpg

There is a phot here which should give you an idea of where the buttons go.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/media-type/officer-formal-1bw

Guns said:
At the side of the suit there is a hole. Take the hook thing and from the inside push the end through. The aim is to have the hook thing outside and able to support the white belt.

Hope that helps.

Good call, I forgot about those.

Army and RM uniforms also have these.

Guns said:

Hope that helps.

That's brilliant, thanks... so does it go through the little flap on the inside of the jacket too?

No the flap is laid over the end do you do not have bare skin against metal. It being a tropical suit the reasons should be obvious.

StixJimboRM said:
If the flap part has two holes in it this is how it should be fitted:

put the small end of the hook through the top hole in the flap (as if the hook is going to the inside of the jacket - i.e. the whole hook part will be between the jacket and hook), push the small end through the bottom hole, so that it is now going towards the hole in the jacket, feed the hook through the flap and then put the small end through the jacket so that it protrudes out of the jacket, to sit the belt on. The 'curly' part of the brass hook should now be laying against the top hole of the flap. I will try to put some pictures on here if I get the time later

Ah, I've got it now... the flap with the two holes stops the hook rotating. Not that I'm likely to need it straight away when I get on ship, but it's good to have it sorted out. Thanks for your help!

TheRowan said:
StixJimboRM said:
If the flap part has two holes in it this is how it should be fitted:

put the small end of the hook through the top hole in the flap (as if the hook is going to the inside of the jacket - i.e. the whole hook part will be between the jacket and hook), push the small end through the bottom hole, so that it is now going towards the hole in the jacket, feed the hook through the flap and then put the small end through the jacket so that it protrudes out of the jacket, to sit the belt on. The 'curly' part of the brass hook should now be laying against the top hole of the flap. I will try to put some pictures on here if I get the time later

Ah, I've got it now... the flap with the two holes stops the hook rotating. Not that I'm likely to need it straight away when I get on ship, but it's good to have it sorted out. Thanks for your help!

Hope your not an engineer!!! :D

Latest Threads