Ninja's Argonaut images.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Stirling, Nov 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Fair play to Jack dealing with that!

Nice of the BBC to tell the world a few days later that the Argies were dropping their bombs a bit to low to arm themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the day after the BBC broadcast, Coventry got hit & guess what? The BBC still deny it, but too many people remember it.

It's still "work in progress" with regard the series of photographs and the stories attached, to be honest. I thought it about time my dits were placed on record before my addled brain fails me & a whole generation misses the golden opportunity to be bored rigid, like my granddad did to me.

Problem is, even though I kept a diary at the time, 30 years later it's inevitable there will be gaps in recollection. As it is, it's getting the chance to write down what happened when something triggers your memory....oooh, look a balloon.

• Like Like x 2
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Keep at it mate, at least with this modern technology all you've got to do is wipe the screen when you start dribbling and not replace a piece of paper in the typewriter.

4. N_S.

Respect mate, respect.

5. Think a camera's the only thing I regret not having time to grab and pack when I got sent down South so I missed being able to make a pictorial record ... although I think a few people took snaps of when we closed up on the Sheff to take off survivors and later the bomb that came throught the roof of the operating theate at Ajax Bay. These days with digital camara the size of a fag packet / part of the mobile phone its a lot easier but when trying to work out what was essential to stuff into the bergan which then had to be carried everywhere a camera wasn't exactly top of the list.

Good pics Ninja ... brought back a few memories.

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can't open the link for some reason.

A mate of mine down the RNA was on the Antelope on Corporate. He's got some interesting stories.

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanks for the pics. Nina, let us know when you put any more up

8. NS great phots oppo. Not just been a "diver" here, but have you read Tony Grooms book DIVER?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diver-Tony-Groom/dp/1906266069

Great book, with most of the content been about '82. Goes into a lot of detail about rendering safe the ordnance that was dropped on the ships, especially Argonaut. If you look at the link below Tony was carrying out BDR from underwater, with the 1000lb in situ.

Falklands War DIVER diving underwater scuba deep sea diving - as a way of life. EOD.

If you would like to borrow a copy let me know I can drop it into the AFCO.

9. Ninja_Stoker

That was a cracking link frogman, many thanks. I'd heard of Tony Groom's book but must confess I've not read it, but will certainly pick up a copy. His extract very much brings it all back - noisy & intense very much sums it.

Have to say, max respect to the Divers. We honestly wondered whether the magazine bomb may have a timer/delayed fuse of some description & did not breathe easily for several days, wondering if it was about to explode. One of them actually sat astride the magazine bomb as it was hauled out of the magazine so he could fend it off if it started to turn. Hearing the divers, using the main broacast to direct the team on the flightdeck was scary stuff whilst sat in the boiler room: "Up six"..."Steady"... "bomb turning" ...*long pause*. "OK, slowly, up another 3 feet" ...

10. Glad you liked it. Great bloke TG, bit of a legend in the branch. Written a novel too, which for a first attempt is very good (especially when you have a signed copy telling you it's based on you!! Cheers TG if you're reading this!). Going to Temeraire Monday will pop a copy of DIVER in to you. (I assume you're in Pompey AFCO?).

In2Deep: Amazon.co.uk: Tony Groom: Books

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  11. Incredible set of photos and attached commentry.It is not until you see the two together that it hits home what it was really like for the sailors involved.

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

"There was a total power failure, all lights were out, but the Chief Stoker managed to plug the hole using a sledgehammer & wooden wedges. It wasn't until the damage repair party shone a battery powered floodlight into the compartment that the Chief Stoker realised he was swinging a slegehammer whilst actually stood on top of the UXB."

:thumleft:

13. Ninja_Stoker

It's worth pointing out the photos weren't taken by me. The guy that owned them got re-prints for those of us that wanted copies. Most of them are now online, the only bit I've done is write the text.

There's a couple more dits to come.

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ah. I can open them now i'm at home.

Outstanding.

15. Ninja_Stoker

16. Ninja, whatever happened to AB Dabs Dallaway (lost an eye in the attack) and the Joss, Jan Francis who had shrapnel wounds? They were both on the Argonaut when I was on it in 1980.

17. Ninja_Stoker

The last I heard of Jan he was flown off to Montevideo, critically injured. The other guys, I think, went to SS Uganda.

As to what became of them, I'm afraid I don't know as I was through-drafted to HMS Southampton (Pompey) upon arrival back in UK, after Summer Leave & pretty much back Down South, not retuning to Guzz for a couple of years.

18. Thanks mate, just thought I would ask as I knew them both obviously. I liked Jan as he was a good Joss, small in size but big in heart and Dabs was a good lad also, if a little wacky at times.

19. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

This is extraordinary stuff.

I sense a book deal coming your way if you keep producing such stories as these, Ninja.