Nimbys v SSAFA

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by PartTimePongo, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys, cross posting here, as I know a lot of you think it's called Diamond Lil's Ration.co.uk :D

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=8258.html

This is the link for the campaign to support SSAFA in their acquisition of a suitable property for visiting families to Headley Court.

Unfortunately, the proposal has met with considerable NIMBY opposition. Some of the letters of objection are startling in their vehemence.

We need as many as possible to sign the petition at No.10 , amnd for those who can spare the time to write to the planning commitee registering their support for the proposal.

If you could also spread the word far and wide to as many oppos as possible, it will all help considerably.

Many thanks

PTP

2. Duly signed and the URL passed to all my friends and colleagues.

3. I have just received this from MVC PC, I assume SSAFA will have a rep to speak at the meeting.

IMD

Application Nos.: MO/2007/0863
    Location: Millcroft, 36, Grays Lane, Ashtead, Surrey, KT21 1BU
    Proposal: Change of use of dwelling to provide accommodation for families visiting injured relatives at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court .

Further to your letter of representation I am writing to let you know that the above application will be considered by the Planning Committee at its meeting on 01-Aug-2007 beginning at 7 p.m.

In view of the number of representations received, this is a case where the opportunity is available for a representative of both the objectors and supporters to speak to the Planning Committee at its meeting. The same opportunity is given to the applicant and to the relevant Parish Council (or specified Residents` Association/Amenity Society in areas which do not have a Parish Council). The arrangements for speaking are set out overleaf or below (in the case of an email). All written comments and objections will be taken into account by the Planning Committee in the normal way.

If you are interested in taking up the opportunity to speak, I should be most grateful if you could make your request to the Planning Committee by telephone (please ring 01306 879261) no later than 4 pm next Monday.

People who have made requests to speak will be put in touch with each other and asked to agree a spokesperson. If agreement cannot be reached, the first person making a request will be accepted as spokesperson.

For your information, the recommendation to the Planning Committee is that the application be Refuse.

Yours sincerely

Clive Smith
    Head of Planning

4. Print the vehement letters of objection together with the writers names and addresses. We will then subject them to ridicule, But without names No packdrill

5. [quote="bumblebee[/quote]Print the vehement letters of objection together with the writers names and addresses. We will then subject them to ridicule, But without names No packdrill[/quote]

Descending to the NIMBYs' despicable level would defeat the aim. We are far more likely to succeed with the campaign currently being conducted. Much is happening, both behind the scenes and on the ground in Ashstead. Leafleting, putting up posters in shop windows, canvasing locals, etc, all took place today with the help of the local RBL and there is much more to come. Almost everyone was sympathetic to our cause.

A forcible but well-reasoned letter of support to the council which counters all the unfounded objections is far more likely to achieve the result we want than inviting the council's hostility by ridiculing people. I've sent my letter supporting SSAFA's application. Have you sent yours? All the neccessary background, advice and instructions can be found on the website at http://www.36grayslane.co.uk.

6. Print the vehement letters of objection together with the writers names and addresses. We will then subject them to ridicule, But without names No packdrill[/quote]

Descending to the NIMBYs' despicable level would defeat the aim. We are far more likely to succeed with the campaign currently being conducted. Much is happening, both behind the scenes and on the ground in Ashstead. Leafleting, putting up posters in shop windows, canvasing locals, etc, all took place today with the help of the local RBL and there is much more to come. Almost everyone was sympathetic to our cause.

A forcible but well-reasoned letter of support to the council which counters all the unfounded objections is far more likely to achieve the result we want than inviting the council's hostility by ridiculing people. I've sent my letter supporting SSAFA's application. Have you sent yours? All the neccessary background, advice and instructions can be found on the website at http://www.36grayslane.co.uk.[/quote]Thanks. You're right buit does make ones blood boil.

7. I believe that Rudyard Kipling wrote a little ode on the very subject can't think of most of it , but the gist is that it's Tommy this and Tommy that but he's an fing good kid when the bullets fly. My sympathy with SSAFA ( have signed)

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

9. It's Tommy this and Tommy that,
    And chuck him out the brute...
    But it's hero of the country --When the guns begin to shoot.

10. Well said BB - we always seem to forget those who are in the front line - until we need them - and more recently (today), we don't even do that.... Shame on them all.

11. Being well-reasoned, moderate and sanguine will have more impact than a few home truths? I really don't think so. The Nimbys will possibly recruit the best of British legal brains and attempt to bamboozle with hyperbole.
    Let them try.
    Common Dog Fuck was on Daily Orders in my day. It worked then and will work now.
    No pussy-footing with anodyne words. Tell them there'll be trouble if they persist.with their unreasonable demands.

12. BUMP............because this come to a head tomorrow evening so please sign the petition etc.,

13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

14. Radio 2 Jeremy Vine Show - Being discussed now

15. No problem --SUCCESS-- Well done May those Ashtead sad people hang their heads in shame.

16. I know this has been sorted out now but those residents who complained, especially those did so vehemently, need their [email protected] spanked!!

I didn't get read any of the letters - were any put on the net?

SF

17. Asses spanked in Surrey? Punishment? I don't think so. Salivating at the prospect? Most probably.