Night of the Long Knives

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, May 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

One of the Mail columnists has been sniping at her for a few weeks, maybe that concentrated a few minds.
  2. A senior politician allegedly fiddling a few quid on expenses!!!! whatever next? Who'd have thought it?
    I may have inadvertedly done the same thing in the past(but not with Pusser) so I will not be casting the first stone.
  3. Can I have my stapler back?
  4. Of course not, not worth the effort; badges, rate/rank, pension all disappear and the public disgrace all for a few quid on your travel expenses. For a political professional a bit of a hoo-ha in the press and you are allowed to retire keeping pension intact and no stain on your character. You can keep the duck house too, it is clearly in site on google maps.
  5. Fraid not.Flogged it at a boot sale.Cheque for 20p in the post
  6. Ive heard that one before.
  7. After all the aggravation and floggings of the recent past, she's either incredibly thick, naive, lazy or has been deliberately set up. Even though I detest most pollies, I'm inclined to think the latter case.

The story of subletting sound reasonable but, unless the notified tenant speaks up, she's buggered.
  8. Even if she did let her "sub-landlord" have the £165.50a night for letting her stay at his rented house it is still very dodgy and she won't have a proper receipt and it just opens a mega can of worms AGAIN!

She has been incredibly naive and no matter what the circumstances this all looks like a worm wriggling desperately on the hook trying to escape. Another own goal by the Tories and another vindictive act by Labour which casts neither party in a positive light.

Oh what a twisted web we weave....
  9. Did the "Sub-Landlord" declare the extra income recived for renting the room to the IR for tax purposes? I think the non-declareable amount for renting a spare room is £80 per week.
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Storm in a teacup. She'll get clean away with what would in any reasonably well-run firm be a sacking offence.
  11. You're probably right Seaweed.The water is being muddied at present by claim and counter claim and I doubt that the person or persons given the job to investigate will have the time or energy to get to the bottom of it.
  12. Red Herring - and certainly not a problem for Baroness Warsi.
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

14. One law for the rich etc.
  15. Maybe more a case of rank has its privileges
  16. Nothing more rank than a politician.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Lords spokeswoman said the commissioner judged she had breached the code by failing to "properly" register the property but noted "she had already written to the chairman of the Sub-Committee recognising that failure and apologising for it".

There it is a lesson for all of us.If we transgress the rules just drop the appropriate authority a nice letter saying sorry and that will be the end of the matter.
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Plenty of naval officers have done the same, to avoid disciplinary action... :oops:
  19. Been there, done that! And it worked...though my career did end fairly soon afterwards by retirement on age.