Nigerian scam alert

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by rod-gearing, Aug 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a warning to everyone.
    This morning I had an email from my Nigerian cousin (didnt know the Gearings had spread that far) offering me money etc due a death in the family.

I've had these before and just bin them but whats concerned me about this one is he said he got my details from the Submariners forum.

If you could pass this on to all concerned just so they are aware.

What we can do about it is another matter.

Any ideas.
  2. RG, all you can do is to ignore them, and not be suckered in by them.

I had one from the FBI yep FBI yesterday offering me a share in a lump sum.

These people are getting more devious daily.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Actually, I'm not to worried about it because some Nigerian Diplomats are sending me $100, 000 soon from the diamond mine I appear to own.

Only had to send my bank details & bingo!

I've already witten my rough-draft rude resignation letter to 1SL telling him what to do with his job & am just waiting for the cash so's I can afford a stamp...
  4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

In the last couple of months I have had two e mails from Africa both offering me 10% of $15,000,000 if I will put said amount into a British bank account set up by me. One of them, possible a young lady, she called me dearest!! All she wanted was sponsorship to come to the United Kingdom. Anyone else had this offer. I always wonder how they get hold of my E mail address? Also had a couple from Lloyds TSB about sending my bank details to them. I'm not even with them!!
  5. All of the Security Officers, bar one, in the building I work in are from Nigeria - and even they complain about getting these mails.

Apparently, there is a police task force set up in that country to deal with these under their Penal Code 419 - obviously not very successful so far ... :lol:
  6. None of you have come across Gilbert Murray then? Unfortunately he's stopped responding to these people now but all his previous efforts are here

Most of the website is devoted to a number of email exchanges between “Gilbert Murray†(in a variety of guises) and a range of advance fee fraudsters, all of them desperate to get their hands on his money... and all of them failing miserably to do so. Very funny ...
  7. You'd be amazed how stupid some people can be...

I work for a certain 4 letter bank beginning with H, and had a custmoer on the phone a couple of months ago wondering why on earth £1000 had left her account that morning, payment done on her internet banking. she swore blind for 20 minutes that it wasn't her..........before finally asking about an email she'd received apparently from us a month previously asking her to confirm her security details, which she promptly did!
  8. How long you owned the mine? I have some email saying our grandma is dead, we can both share the money if you give me your bank details etc. So im now waiting for my money. Also my grandma in africa, i never fault i had a grandma over there.
  9. Kinel Ninja,
    Looks like you and Chicogiz may be related through the Nigerian branch of your families :w00t:
  10. After I had read the Gilbert Murray exchanges, I looked in to the whole subject in more detail and it seems that the average loss in these scams is around £30,000. There is supposed to be at least two people every day waiting in a hotel lobby somewhere for their "benefactor" to turn up with their money!

The actual scale of the problem is underestimated because many of those that get caught are too embarrassed to report it afterwards.
  11. The latest (and best?) of these scams was published in today's York Press by diary columnist "Bentley".
    " I am D.Bakare Tunde, cousin of Nigerian astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979"

There follows a brief personal history, stating how he was abandoned in space when the USSR was dissolved, then:-
    " In the 14 years since he has been on the station he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to US $15,000,000, held in trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association"

Evidently, all that is required is a contribution of £3000 towards the $3 milllion that it will cost to persuade the Russians to lay on a Soyuz flight to bring him back to earth, whereupon we contributors will be entitled to a share in his back pay. Seems like a good investment to me, or should I put my £3000 in Northern Rock?

12. The tragedy is that far too many people do fall for these scams. When I was doing voluntary work as Secretary of a small medical charity I frequently got asked by both my clients AND THEIR WIVES if it was OK to pass on their bank details to these scammers. Most people with the medical condition in question are mildly mentally handicapped, so are especially vulnerable to this kind of scam. I am not convinced that the police are really trying to tackle these offenders. When I tried reporting my concerns on behalf of my clients I was told the police could only investigate if money had actually been taken without consent, though admittedly this was some years ago. Things may have changed for the better.
  13. [quote="rod-gearing"
    I've had these before and just bin them but whats concerned me about this one is he said he got my details from the Submariners forum.

Me too RG - just as you describe. I bounced the email back to the sender and blocked my email address.
  14. In the last couple of months I have received a Telephone call "THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING" and he is offering a free cruise in the Bahamas,all expenses payed. The scam is as soon as you hit the first digit you are required to reply to, you will have a couple of £s on your phone bill. I have also had numerous notifications in my e-mails and snail mail of big European lottery wins.To stop "spam" telephone calls phone 0845 0700707.This is The Preference Telephone Service, a free service.
    To stop junk mail register your address with The Mail Preference Service,
    Freepost 27,WIE 7E
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator