Nigel Evans Cleared

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seadog, Apr 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Former Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans has been cleared.

It looks as if the trend for complaining about the sexual conduct of people in the public eye is up against juries who don't believe a word. The 2 Corination Street actors and now Nigel Evans. No cash cows for plaintiffs.

Listening to the police statement, the plaintiffs are still being referred to as 'victims' ( if I understand correctly). I know sometimes the guilty are cleared and that victims of sexual offences should not be discouraged from complaining to the police but a more appropriate form of words should have been used by Plod.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Listening to Plod again, he says that some of the complainants didn't consider themselves victims.
  3. Often in the past, the Police and the Crown Prosecution Service have been accused of ignoring the victims(or alleged victims) and not chasing up cases especially where a high profile person is the one under suspicion. They now seem to be over compensating by dragging anyone into court and accusing them of crimes dating back decades. Not only does time cloud the memory but the required proof for a "beyond reasonable doubt" conviction is nowhere to be seen or heard. Small wonder that juries are acquitting as there is nothing to nail the guilty verdict to. The police and CPS are kite flying at best albeit under pressure to show they are listening and doing something.
  4. Probably a fair result.
    Jimmy Savile has opened up a frenzy of so called victims, many of whom were probably extremely pleased to be groped by a celebrity at the time.
  5. Some woman from the CPS was asked why did you go ahead when, see above, she replied, some victims don't realise they are victims, sounds like ambulance chasing to me.
  6. I thought it was odd when she referred to " victims not realising they are victims", but she didn't really explain her reasoning. But, as Shekey says, sounds like the legal beagles were chasing customers!
  7. The MP David Davis summed it up fairly well on the Jeremy Vine programme when he said the CPS had tried to round up anyone that might possibly have a complaint against Nigel Evans in the hope that the jury would think there's no smoke without fire. As has been seen in other failed prosecutions of people in the public eye actual evidence of guilt was in very short supply.
    Load up the scatter gun as old Rolph Harris is next in the firing line.